Cookies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cookies

On Saturday last using Chrome as my browser i read the Guardian newspaper online but it left a cookie that i cant delete. Im fairly useful on computers but this has me baffled. Ive done all the usual and also uninstalled & reinstalled Chrome, disc clean ups etc but the cookie theguardian.com keeps reappearing....any ideas how to get rid of it. I know its not harmful but i just dont want it.

maybe try ccleaner it cleans the pc and there is also an option to delete stuff from the pc in it if you go into tools and either start up or delete
    http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ install the free one

and maybe run malwarebytes

Last edited by Guest; 07-03-16, 20:23.

Comment

Yes Val, ive tried them all. Done all the scans and no threats detected. I even done a system restore but the buggar keeps reappearing. This one certainly has me baffled as to how to get rid of it.

Comment

When using the Chrome browser are you logged in? Possibly Chrome is storing the cookies online and restoring them when you restart the browser. Local re-installation and system restore would not have any effect. However, I cannot find any synchronization setting for cookies.

David

Comment

David, i dont sign in to Chrome/Google except for gmail but theguardian.com cookie is definitely active as its cache storage has increased from 2.1mb to to 8.2mb but that may be from several visits to the Guardian newspaper site to check for info on their cookies.

Comment

The Guardian are very open about the cookies. I do not normally visit the site but had a quick look today - just at the oookies information - and managed to pick up 2.1mb of locally stored data. I usually have Chrome to block 3rd party cookies but apart from that just let them go. There is a setting to flush locally all stored data when the browser is closed but I worry about what I will be letting myself in for if I do that, e.g. will I have to enter username and password on all the forums I visit? However, you can add the Guardian to the exceptions list and delete all data connected with that site when the browser is closed.

David

Comment

David, this evening what i decided to do was delete cookies & browsing data, in the exceptions list i put theguardian.com on block. i then on ccleaner done a good clean up, shut down & rebooted so hopefully that works. The offending cookie is still there but its not gathering any data ( i think). Ive also had a quiet word with the laptop, telling it that it had better learn to fly as it might be going out the window in the morning.

Comment

Working...
              X