Samuel Frankham 1786-1846

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samuel Frankham 1786-1846

I am researching Samuel, who was my 3rd Great Grandfather. I am unable to find any records of his birth or parents - and I'd be interested in any hints or suggestions. This is what I know so far.
    Born 1786 Staffordshire. Married Ann Evans on 20th Aug 1815 at Birmingham St Martin's. Fathered 8 children between 1815 and 1831 including Moses Frankham, my 2nd Great Grandfather. In 1826, worked as a Spur Maker in Hill Street, Walsall. Died 28th May 1846 of "diseased lungs" at Rushall Street, Walsall.

John Frankham.

Is there any history of Catholic or Non-conformists in your family?
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Had a look on Ancestry for you, but none of the public trees have his baptism or parents.

Comment

How do you know he was born in 1786 if you have not found his baptism?

If you are taking the age from the 1841 Census, remember that ages were rounded down to the nearest 5.

He could have been any age between 55 and 59 in 1841, so his birth year could be between 1782 and 1786.
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Welcome to The Forum. In the 3rd Qtr 1838, a Samuel Frankham marries in Walsall Staffs.........source FreeBMD.org. There are 4 marriages on a Register page and four bride's names are shown so I cant tell who the lady is. Purchasing a copy of the certificate should help identify parentage.
          Last edited by AlanC; 08-03-16, 08:17.

Comment

On the parish marriage 1815, is this the lady who is a witness? also John Dyas

England Deaths and Burials
            Name Naomi Dyas
            Gender Female
            Burial Date 25 Dec 1841
            Burial Place St. Martin Parish, Birmingham, Warwick, England
            Age 81
            Birth Date 1760

She's here 1841

only avenue I can think of at the mo
            Last edited by Elaine; 08-03-16, 20:41.
            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks for all of the comments and thoughts. I will reply to each individually. It seems that Samuel either (1) changed his name (2) did not have his baptism recorded for whatever reason (3) moved to Birmingham / Walsall during the early part of his life. Or maybe all 3.

Comment

None at all in that branch. All Frankhams from Samuel onwards were baptised and married in their local parish church. Samuel's son Moses married a Harriet Bishop, who I think is related to the infamous Bishops of Brailes, recusant Catholics. The Frankham name also has Romany connections, so maybe there is a link there.

Comment

Thanks for checking Ancestry, Janet. Perhaps I should have said that I have a subscription to Ancestry and have spent some time searching their sources.

Comment

Hi Sylvia, I was not aware of the rounding of ages in the 1841 census - interesting. I have a pencil note that he was 58 when he died in 1846, making his dob 1788. 55 years from the 1841 census makes 1786. However, I have been searching the years around 1786 / 1788 with no luck either. I have ordered a copy of the death certificate from GRO, which should clear up the recorded age at his death, but I doubt it will add any other information.

Comment

Hi Alan, I have a copy of the marriage certificate. Ann Evans is the bride, and as noted by Elaine, John and Naomi Dyas are the witnesses. Sadly at this time, no parents (bride or groom) are mentioned.

Comment

Hi Elaine, yes the Dyas connection is interesting, but that name does not turn up in my tree at the present time, so they may just have been friends.

Comment

Might be a longshot, there is a Frankham family St Pancras 1841, interestingly a Moses Frankham c 1790 born Gloucestershire. I was thinking of naming patterns as another avenue.
                          Elaine

Comment

Just adding, links back to Moses as I can see they are not siblings...can't find any Frankham's in Staffs early on...these are the Gloucestershire family

at a bit of a loss, was looking 1841 with birth date 1780-1800 for Frankham to see where in the country the surname was spread...Somerset/Essex/Gloucestershire/London mainly
                            Elaine

Comment

Working...
                            X