1939 register download problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 register download problem

I've just looking at entries for 1939 that my FMP sub now allows me to see - they are taking a long time to download then when I try to view them in the file where I've saved them I get the message "We can't open this file" - has anyone else got this problem?

Yes, I'm getting "Can't read file header! Unknown file format or file not found." I did note that the file size (saved) was only 1kb.

Comment

That's a relief Vivian, they must have technical difficulties their end.

Comment

You are not alone and, needless to say, their Facebook page is busy: https://www.facebook.com/findmypast/posts_to_page/
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

yes me too! same problems, fustrating isn't it?

Comment

I have found a real gem though even if I can't download it yet - distant relation Percy Leslie Maling was an actor, his aliases are also listed: Neville Warrender, Otto von Konigsmark and something that looks like NJA Naiso. The woman with his is an actress Gladys Haddleton also using Warrender as an alias though she's not the woman he married.

Comment

I can't get that link to Facebook on my mobile. Says the page you requested is not found.

How is the register page doing right now please?

Comment

So pleased to read this - I had problems getting to view some images and then when I downloaded and saved a file, it wouldn't open. Said something about incorrect picture viewer.

I've also had a job locating some people in towns if I entered name and a year of birth - when I did eventually find them, the transcription has misinformation, due to misalignment of the data columns. I'm fine with less common surnames, but dread to think how John Smith searchers are faring!

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Here's a workaround for poor quality images. Instead of trying to download the image, go down to the bottom right of the page and click on the "report an image error" link. This opens up a page with a drop down menu for choosing a reason on the left but most of the page is a much sharper image of the register page. Right click on this and choose save image. This saves quickly as a jpeg with the TNA reference as its title. It doesn't lend itself to much enlarging before it gets fuzzy but it's better than nothing for now till the site sorts itself out.

Comment

Expect the FMP team are busy today!

Pleased to have found my grandmother - correct name on record - correct date of birth - correct address. All I need to try to establish is how she has been indexed - or indeed whether she has!
                    Elaine

Comment

Sure it is - I went on just after midnight and got through my requests for households to be opened. No doubt they'll be inundated but hopefully mines at the front of the queue lol.

I had same problem awhile ago and I got the error message when I tried to look at the image.

I did anticipate it being busy but so far it hasn't crashed altogether which is what I feared.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I had the same problem around lunchtime and gave up - I switched to the Newspaper Archives and have been happily looking at since then. I found I could get decent access this morning though

Comment

Frankly it's not as bad as I feared for (effectively) a first day.

One of my cousins who was a farm labourer added the comment "Heavy Work". I guess that they knew that the register was to prepare for rationing then!
                          People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                          Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

All my ag labs, carmen etc (and I have a lot!!) are labelled heavy work.

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                              his aliases are also listed: Neville Warrender, Otto von Konigsmark and something that looks like NJA Naiso.
                              The bit I couldn't read is a reference number!

Comment

Working...
                              X