X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found him - see my posts #15, 16 and 17

Also how about this http://search.ancestry.co.uk//cgi-bi...f=&ml_rpos=146

Margaret
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 09-01-16, 16:08.

Comment

William & Harriet [siblings] to EDWARD & ELIZABETH Foulds [nee WALKER] non con bapts @ Woodhouse Eaves

right hand page.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I see now Margaret, now I have that many William Foulds I am not sure which one is his! [though i'd kind of favour William-William-Henry Foulds]

but not sure how I can prove it!
        Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
          I see now Margaret, now I have that many William Foulds I am not sure which one is his! [though i'd kind of favour William-William-Henry Foulds]

but not sure how I can prove it!
          I like that one too!

He would not have said his father's name was William at the marriage if it wasn't - unless he was illegitimate and didn't know the name.

The occupation of Baker when in fact he was a framework knitter is odd - but that could be an error on the part of the vicar at the time or the transcriber for the return to GRO. Might be an idea to see if you could look at the other marriage on the page to see if that gives any clues - maybe the Register Office could help. If you could establish that William Foulds senior was in fact a weaver then you might be able to clinch it.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
            I like that one too!

He would not have said his father's name was William at the marriage if it wasn't - unless he was illegitimate and didn't know the name.

The occupation of Baker when in fact he was a framework knitter is odd - but that could be an error on the part of the vicar at the time or the transcriber for the return to GRO. Might be an idea to see if you could look at the other marriage on the page to see if that gives any clues - maybe the Register Office could help. If you could establish that William Foulds senior was in fact a weaver then you might be able to clinch it.

Margaret
            Hi Margaret, I don't know which church they married in, and can't get to Leicester RO for a while

this is the marriage from the GRO

Julie

Comment

Is the parish church in Ashby de la Zouch not St. Helen's?

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
                Is the parish church in Ashby de la Zouch not St. Helen's?
                Yes Bertie it is, but this is the Parish Church in the Parish of ADLZ, of which there are 8 of them!...

St. Helen, Upper Church Road, Church of England, Ashby de la Zouch
                Holy Rood, Vicarage Lane, Church of England, Packington, Derbyshire
                St James, Annwell Lane, Church of England, Smisby, Derbyshire
                St Thomas, Church of England, Willesley, Derbyshire
                St. Margaret, Main St., Church of England, Blackfordby
                The Holy Trinity, Main St., Church of England, Normanton le Heath
                St. Mary the Virgin, Lower Moor Road, Church of England, Coleorton

if they lived in/at Wooden Box, then the nearest parish church would be Blackfordby? so praps that is the church they used, but I can't get to LRO at the moment!
                Julie

Comment

Not saying you are wrong, but in my experience the header of the marriage cert relates to only one clearly defined and identifiable church. Thus, the parish church of AdlZ is St Helen the parish church of Packington is Holy Rood etc.

I don't see how the marriage record would refer to any other church imho.

Comment

I agree with Bertie, normally the words "Parish church" refer to one specific and clearly definable church. All the other C of E churches in the district are sister churches et, but are not parish churches.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
                      Not saying you are wrong, but in my experience the header of the marriage cert relates to only one clearly defined and identifiable church. Thus, the parish church of AdlZ is St Helen the parish church of Packington is Holy Rood etc.

I don't see how the marriage record would refer to any other church imho.
                      hmmn definitely food for thought, and I realise that it can be misread I just wish that they would flipping well write the church of XXX in the parish of ADLZ.. that'd make things clearer wouldn't it.
                      Julie

Comment

Julie

In my experience, they always do write the name of the church EXCEPT when it is the designated parish church.

OC

Comment

As you know Julie, I have done lots of research in and around ADLZ and that certificate is for St Helen's.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            Julie

In my experience, they always do write the name of the church EXCEPT when it is the designated parish church.

OC
                            thanks OC

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
                            As you know Julie, I have done lots of research in and around ADLZ and that certificate is for St Helen's.
                            mmm I'd forgotten about that Tom, hope you are ok lovey? just seems odd that they lived in Wooden Box but, married in St Helen's.. Blackfordby is nearer to them. but I suspect that the other church might have been booked/not available.
                            Julie

Comment

Am doing OK thanks. There is something in the back of my mind about Blackfordby Church being closed for a few years in the mid 1800s, but cannot remember when it was off the top of my head.
                              I have Blackfordby families marrying in St Helen's.
                              Last edited by Tom Tom; 10-01-16, 20:26.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                Hi Margaret, I don't know which church they married in, and can't get to Leicester RO for a while

this is the marriage from the GRO

Could you not email them and ask them to check for you?
                                Margaret

Comment

Have just been looking on Genuki and they have something which seems to suggest that marriages didn't actually take place in St Margaret's.
                                  Let me fire up the laptop and check where my Blackfordby families married.

Last edited by Tom Tom; 10-01-16, 20:35.

Comment

Have been having a look at my Blackfordby families.

I have marriages for them in 1838, 1848, 1850, 1859, 1866, 1873, 1873 all at St Helen's, Ashby De La Zouch. It is not until 1881 that they married in Blackfordby (1881 and 1884).
                                    Some of these marriages include the Joyce family, who were very prominent in Blackfordby and I would imagine would have married in St Margaret's if they could have done.

Comment

Leicestershire RO have lots of Blackfordby parish records. They have marriages from 1653-1833 and from 1876-1953.
                                      I think that between 1833 and 1876, they didn't have marriages in the Church, which might explain why they went to St Helen's?

Comment

cool thanks Tom for taking the time to have a look, so we are saying that it is St Helens then? I went up Ashby tower earlier on in the yr too didn't realise that the church was next to the castle though!.. [until I stood at the top and looked down on it!]

Margaret that is a good idea, do you think it'd be an idea to attach my scan to the email or just wing it? do you happen to know the email address please?
                                        Julie

Comment

Yep, St Helen's.

Comment

Working...
                                          X