Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HMS Téméraire - Battle of Trafalgar HELP PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Library: HMS Téméraire - Battle of Trafalgar HELP PLEASE!

Hello:

I am seeking help please, with a piece of research.

I am researching ROBERT SANDS,( b1787/1788 ) from St Margaret's, Rochester in Kent. In 1803 he joined the crew of the HMS Temeraire. He was 15 years old, had the rank of " boy, third class" and I think was a powder monkey. ( Although he does seem older than other " monkeys ".) He took part in the Battle Trafalgar and recently, notes surfaced from him recording the battle which were auctioned at Bonham's and purchased by Medway Council in Kent. The council don't have any further details on Robert Sands, except that in 1803 he was briefly apprenticed to Matthias Lock of the Chatham Company of Dredgers.

My research has come to a halt. I have seen a record of him onboard the Temeraire in 1805 but after that date, I have nothing. As his record is very important I would like to find more about this man.

St Margaret's is now part of Rochester. In his days it was a small village area outside Rochester.
    The date of birth is from Medway Council, as is the address.
    I have written to Bonham's, to see if they can put me in touch with the people who placed the papers for auction. I understand these are direct relations and living outside the United Kingdom.

I would be grateful for any assistance or pointing in the correct direction.

Thank you, kind regards

Mike
    Mike Gunnill

http://www.upchurch-village.co.uk

Upchurch, Kent. UK.

I am not sure whether you have consulted the Trafalgar Ancestors database at TNA. You can use the search facility here:

Robert SANDS comes up in the database with the catalogue reference ADM 36/15851. This and the preceding/following Ships' Muster volumes can be consulted at Kew. In doing so you should be able to ID when he came on board (and if so, whether from another ship or as a new recruit) and when he left (and to where he went: e.g. another ship, etc.).

There are usually also Ships' pay books that accompany the muster volumes (a separate series): these can usually be found under the ship's name e.g. Temeraire. This can be an additional useful source of information on the crew.

Comment

I notice Cityark have the following...

"Sands was born in Rochester c.1787/1788, was briefly apprenticed to Matthew Lock of Chatham as a fisherman and dredgerman and after brief service in harbour ships HMS Zealand and HMS Imperieuse joined HMS Temeraire aged 15 in 1803"

Per my previous post you can track back to the Imerieuse and Zealand from the Muster and Pay volumes at TNA.

Comment

Bertie:

I am grateful for your detail and sharing your knowledge. The reference 36/15851 is useful but not available online, I will have to visit in person.

Thank you very much

Mike

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
        I am not sure whether you have consulted the Trafalgar Ancestors database at TNA. You can use the search facility here:

Robert SANDS comes up in the database with the catalogue reference ADM 36/15851. This and the preceding/following Ships' Muster volumes can be consulted at Kew. In doing so you should be able to ID when he came on board (and if so, whether from another ship or as a new recruit) and when he left (and to where he went: e.g. another ship, etc.).

There are usually also Ships' pay books that accompany the muster volumes (a separate series): these can usually be found under the ship's name e.g. Temeraire. This can be an additional useful source of information on the crew.
        Mike Gunnill

Upchurch, Kent. UK.

Comment

No problem Mike. If you've not been to Kew before and/or don't know what these documents look like or how they are arranged please post and I or others can help.

It is most important to view your man on different ships to enable you to decide when he was born (navy joiners, esp. as boys, do tend to add to their age to join earlier and he may have different ages on different vessels) and where he was born (I know of one man who fought at Trafalgar where he is listed as from Bristol but I know he was born in Somerset).

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
            No problem Mike. If you've not been to Kew before and/or don't know what these documents look like or how they are arranged please post and I or others can help.

It is most important to view your man on different ships to enable you to decide when he was born (navy joiners, esp. as boys, do tend to add to their age to join earlier and he may have different ages on different vessels) and where he was born (I know of one man who fought at Trafalgar where he is listed as from Bristol but I know he was born in Somerset).
            Bertie:

I have done my homework ( I think ) and have 16 ADM references at Kew. None of these are available online, so it means a visit. Exciting in one way, that I will get to hold the same documents which hopefully will provide new details on my subject Robert Sands and what happened to him after 1806. Thank you for your help.

kind regards
            Mike
            Mike Gunnill

Upchurch, Kent. UK.

Comment

Working...
            X