Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250+ Wylie family photos - Killycowan/Ballymena

Hi all,

A second cousin of my mother's recently sent me a CD with 250+ digital photos of various Wylie family members. Most of these photos were taken in the Killycowan and Ballymena areas of Antrim, Northern Ireland in the early part of the 20th century.

Sadly, with the exception of a single photograph of my great-grandfather and his siblings, I cannot verify who is on any of them, but they are beautiful photographs taken of everyday family life in rural Antrim, and I would very much like to find someone who recognizes old relatives on them.

I'm not going to upload the entire collection online, but I will post a couple of examples here, and if anyone has family from that neck of the woods and recognizes the Wylie name, please do let me know.

I do hope to find another home for them, as they are fantastic photos but sadly will remain unidentified for now.

Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
    Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
    Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

A real treasury of family and rural life even from this small selection you have shared James, I hope you will be able to progress with identifying the people in the photos.

Comment

Well, praise be, I now know who a lot of those people are! Having spoken to a relative of mine on the phone this evening, it seems that many of the photos in the set I received are of her grandmother's family, and so not relevant to myself. However, of the photos that are relevant to me, I now know who most of the people are, including the cute wee man feeding the ducks there (and in another photo, he's riding a pig!)

As suspected, the photos of the large house (you can see a part of it above, with the girl stood outside a corrugated shed) are the Wylie family farm in Killycowan.

Comment

How lovely James I have loads of photos that I 'inherited' and luckily some of the names etc are written on the back. I have unfortunately got many that I haven't a clue. I know they will be closely connected or they wouldn't have been amongst the others, but I would so love to know who they are.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Fantastic photos.
          I inherited a load of family photos from one of my Grandad's cousin who died in 2010 without any family. What was lucky was that I was able to send them off to another cousin (99 this year!) who was able to go through and identify 90% of the people, including several of my Great Great Grandparents (her Grandparents).

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
            Fantastic photos.
            I inherited a load of family photos from one of my Grandad's cousin who died in 2010 without any family. What was lucky was that I was able to send them off to another cousin (99 this year!) who was able to go through and identify 90% of the people, including several of my Great Great Grandparents (her Grandparents).
            Yes, that was a very similar story with these photos. The man who was able to identify a lot of them is 90, and the last remaining of nine children -- most of whom are shown on some of those photographs when they were growing up in Ballymena, such as the boy feeding the ducks. He was also able to identify a photograph of my great-great-great grandparents; his great-grandparents. That was particularly fascinating, as he is very likely one of the last people still alive who could identify them.
            Last edited by James18; 26-04-16, 13:55.

Comment

Great photos and thanks for putting them on here.

It is a pity I cannot tie these Wylie up with myown Kincardine/Clackmanan Wylie/Wyllie of the 1700 and 1800's!

Janet

Comment

Oh how lucky you are to have the photos. Sadly I can't help with identification. I have great great grandmother Wylie and it appears that great great great grandmother was one as well
                but I know nothing about them. This part of my research has been very frustrating!

Comment

Working...
                X