1939 Register

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
    Liz, the Register was maintained up until 1991 which is why you will see some married names entered, as well as records being opened for those born after 1915 but who died before 1991.
    Thanks Elaine. I will look for some others and then see if worth the money to open the entries.

If someone was still alive in 1991, will that entry be locked?
    Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 03-11-15, 14:36.
    Liz

Comment

• Originally posted by Liz from Lancs View Post

If someone was still alive in 1991, will that entry be locked?
      Yes, unless they were born before 1915 - and of course it wont appear in the search results either.
      Elaine

Comment

• I have tried to do as you said about the birth months and years to try and find my Dad on the census, it does work Elaine but there is only one Robert Wheeler born in 1925, but in November in Birmingham so can`t be him as he was born on 27th Feb. I have found both my grandparents at home where they should have been in 1939 but I believe my Dad was away at school and wherever he is he should be unlocked as he died in 1975. Where can I search next ?

Comment

• Originally posted by James18 View Post
          By the way, I know that the 1939 Register contains certain updated information added over time, such as married names, but does it by any chance contain death dates for people who have died? I assume not, but I just wanted to check.
          A few, very few entries have the date of death added most do not.

The second page (which the public cannot see) apparently was annotated with a letter “D” if the subject was deceased.
          That information has been supplied to FMP and was used as the basis for opening otherwise redacted entries.

Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I'm also seeing some transcriptions where no birth year has been given. Not sure why as I presume there is a date of birth on the original.
            Yes, see a household image at
            http://tinyurl.com/yamy9hb

Cheers
            Guy

Comment

• Guy do you know why we can't see the second page?

My great grandfather has something written in column 11 which must over run into the next column & I would be interested in reading the rest of the text.
              Jay

Comment

• Originally posted by JayG View Post
                Guy do you know why we can't see the second page?

My great grandfather has something written in column 11 which must over run into the next column & I would be interested in reading the rest of the text.
                I believe it carries personal medical information about the subject.
                Cheers
                Guy

Comment

Yes, unless they were born before 1915 - and of course it wont appear in the search results either.
                  Have just bought one entry on my dear old paternal grandmother who continues to lead me a dance. Her dob is different on this census to the birth cert I ordered for who I thought was my grandmother! She usually manages to put some wrong info on a census as she was illiterate. She continues to use her middle name Jane as living with daughter who has same first name, Elizabeth, as her. I thought I had got her finally sewn up!
                  Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 03-11-15, 17:25.
                  Liz

Comment

• I took the plunge and found Maria Pearson nee Butler has given her birth date as 15th jan 1870, so now I am wondering if I can actually find her birth record.

Comment

• where was she born Gloryer

Comment

• Originally posted by JayG View Post
                        The letters are part of the husband's registration number

Thank You jay

Comment

• Originally posted by Guy View Post
                          I believe it carries personal medical information about the subject.
                          Cheers
                          Guy
                          Thanks Guy.

Guess there's no way I'll get to see the rest of the text from column 11.
                          Jay

Comment

• Originally posted by Liz from Lancs View Post
                            Have just bought one entry on my dear old paternal grandmother who continues to lead me a dance. Her dob is different on this census to the birth cert I ordered for who I thought was my grandmother! She usually manages to put some wrong info on a census as she was illiterate. She continues to use her middle name Jane as living with daughter who has same first name, Elizabeth, as her. I thought I had got her finally sewn up!
                            I have a similar scenario with my maternal grandmother & I was hoping to prove who she really was from the 1939 register. I wasn't too worried about what year she had put down for her birth ( aging very little from census to census) but I did hope the day & month would tally for a birth cert which I think is her. Cert gives her birth as 29th April, 1939 register 29th September so Im still not sure I have the right person.
                            Moggie

Comment

• Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                              I have a similar scenario with my maternal grandmother & I was hoping to prove who she really was from the 1939 register. I wasn't too worried about what year she had put down for her birth ( aging very little from census to census) but I did hope the day & month would tally for a birth cert which I think is her. Cert gives her birth as 29th April, 1939 register 29th September so Im still not sure I have the right person.
                              Moggie
                              Hi Moggie

I think I have the right person as there were other double checks which tallied. I have updated my blog about her on here with this info. BMD isn't of any help here.

I suppose I could send for her death cert but I don't think it will help much...

Commiserations on your grandmother too.
                              Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 04-11-15, 08:00.
                              Liz

Comment

• I have been able to find addresses of parents and grandmother as well as an Aunt which was my main aim on this 1939 Registration record but whilst doing so I came across a couple of interesting points.

The first one was in my parents' address where the three "children" are redacted. Fair enough for two of the "children" as they are still alive, but the eldest died in 1966 and that has not been picked up in the death registers by FMP or whoever has been sorting that side out. He died in the UK, but he was born in Malta so I wonder whether he has not been picked up as dead before 1992 because of his birth. If that is so then there could be others that will not be found because of births elsewhere? I know who the person is that is redacted because I can match the ID card numbers which appear on these records.

The second point is more a hurried mistake on my part, but one worth checking when looking for these records. I was looking for someone in West Ham, as I thought, and found what looked like the ideal candidate, the only one with same name, same year of birth but it was incorrect, so I wasted money so next time around I put in all the detail I knew to include name of husband, exact date of birth, leaving out where she lived and up she came living in East Ham!

You learn to be more wily, the more you experiment.

Janet
                                Last edited by Janet; 04-11-15, 10:24.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mbrady View Post
                                  Does anyone know what the codes mean next to marriage name amendments? for example..

GCS M

GAA M

I've been trying to find a key of some sort but to no avail :(
                                  The registration letters should be exactly the same for all the family, so I am not sure why your letters are different in the same family? The letters denote the area of abode. The letters are followed by a number which again all members of the family will have. After that number is another number noting position in the family so father is 1, mother 2 and so on down the children. So you might end up with something like SOME 222 1,2,3,4. etc. This was the number uised for the ID card which then became the NHS card in 1949 until it was changed around the late 1990's. I have always remembered my ID card nunber, and I smiled when I saw it again on the 1939 Registration Record.

Janet
                                  Last edited by Janet; 04-11-15, 10:47.

Comment

• Janet

Death information for the 1939 register was supplied by pension records or by NI records or NHS records at the time of death up until 1991. No one went through the death registers either then or now, so if the death was not supplied to one of those agencies, it won't be known to the keepers of 1939 register.

OC

Comment

Found the person that you are looking for but want to know the birth date without paying!
                                      ... and I should add "you have 10 minutes to spare"

As an example :
                                      Searching for a Frederick Marett gives me this ..
                                      Frederick Marett born 1887
                                      Reg: RG101/2486A/011/40

In the advanced search box:
                                      Enter name = Frederick Marett
                                      Year of birth = 1887 (exact)
                                      Piece no. = 2486A
                                      Item no. = 011

Then in search box put month of birth as January (using the digits 01) - click search = no result.
                                      Change month of birth to February (using the digits 02) - click search = no result
                                      Work your way through the year - in this case October brings up Frederick Marett.
                                      So now I know he was recorded as being born in October 1887.

Then go back and do the same for day (keeping October 1887 in your search criteria)
                                      Work your way through the month - in this case when I come to 20 October it brings up a hit - so I now know he was born 20 Oct 1887.

Takes about 5 or 10 minutes and saves you a few pounds ... presuming all you wanted to know was d.o.b.

... and as you can see I have far too much time on my hands!
                                      I have tried to do as you said about the birth months and years to try and find my Dad on the census, it does work Elaine but there is only one Robert Wheeler born in 1925, but in November in Birmingham so can`t be him as he was born on 27th Feb. I have found both my grandparents at home where they should have been in 1939 but I believe my Dad was away at school and wherever he is he should be unlocked as he died in 1975. Where can I search next ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                        Janet

Death information for the 1939 register was supplied by pension records or by NI records or NHS records at the time of death up until 1991. No one went through the death registers either then or now, so if the death was not supplied to one of those agencies, it won't be known to the keepers of 1939 register.

OC
                                        That is interesting OC, though I am still puzzled. He died in hospital and I have his death certificate. As he died in a hospital, surely somebody would have reported his death to the NHS. Still, that is an interesting point, and there will surely be thousands on the register like that, which will make it very difficult for many people to find the ones they want.

Janet

Comment

• Janet

I think it just shows that no government database is complete or accurate! I had a big long wrangle with the DWP a few years ago about some missing years on my NI. It turned out (eventually!) that my employer HAD paid my NI contributions but DWP had got my NI number wrong by one digit. I cannot be the only person that has ever happened to.

It is also possible the information did eventually reach the Central Register, which was the later, fuller register used for the NHS but of course we cannot see that register.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                          X