No announcement yet.

1939 Register

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know what the codes mean next to marriage name amendments? for example..

GCS M

GAA M

I've been trying to find a key of some sort but to no avail :(

Comment

• I tried it Elaine but got no results for month or day.

Do you have to be logged in to find the months?

It only gave me the option of putting digits in?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

• Originally posted by JBee View Post

It only gave me the option of putting digits in?
        Sorry I meant using digits to equate to the month or day!
        So for January enter 01, Feb enter 02 etc!
        Will amend earlier post.
        Elaine

Comment

• Was the first box the day or the month - have tried both but couldn't get it to work.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

• First box is marked DD - so two digit date, e.g. 01, 02, 03 >> 31
            Second box is marked MM - so two digit month, e.g. 01, 02, 03 >>> 12
            Elaine

Comment

• Thanks Elaine

Did you put anything in the DD box when you were searching the MM ONE?

Comment

• No. I just used the year (exact)
                Then went through adding month, starting with 01, until I found a match.
                Then keeping the month and year, I went through with the date, starting with 01, until I found a match again.
                Elaine

Comment

• Doesn't like me - I must be doing something wrong as I got no results for any month!!!!

Comment

• Do you want to send me the details of the record you are looking at?
                    Elaine

Comment

• think I've found the reason Elaine

The reference was for Jessie Brown - 31971/002/32 - but the one was in fact a letter I.

Off to have another go.

It worked this time - thanks Elaine
                      Last edited by JBee; 03-11-15, 11:23.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mbrady View Post
                        Does anyone know what the codes mean next to marriage name amendments? for example..

GCS M

GAA M

I've been trying to find a key of some sort but to no avail :(
                        The letters are part of the husband's registration number
                        Jay

Comment

• think I've found the reason Elaine
                          The reference was for Jessie Brown - 31971/002/32 - but the one was in fact a letter I.
                          5th Feb 1919 ??
                          Elaine

Comment

• Thanks Elaine

Yes that was the first one - I've gone through the list of 14 but 4 without dates of birth - now to see if they match any of the births we found. lol.

Fingers crossed we get a hit.

Comment

• JBee

when you say 4 without dates of birth, do you mean the records are closed?

OC

Comment

• I'm also seeing some transcriptions where no birth year has been given. Not sure why as I presume there is a date of birth on the original.
                                Elaine

Comment

• There's 4 entries for Jessie Brown without a date of birth which is so frustrating.

Seems only one birth date matches and it doesn't look very promising.

Comment

• Just found this thread after Caroline merged the one I started...thanks Caroline.

As first attempt at a search, tried my mother, who married in Oct 42. Surprised to see her entry with her married name in 1939, erm:

1939 REGISTER TRANSCRIPTION (PREVIEW)
                                    Household
                                    Edmonton M.B., Middlesex, England
                                    FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) BIRTH YEAR
                                    Julia K Saville (Bryant) 1920
                                    Ref: RG101/0743G/018/42

Bryant was her maiden name.
                                    Liz

Comment

• Liz, the Register was maintained up until 1991 which is why you will see some married names entered, as well as records being opened for those born after 1915 but who died before 1991.
                                      Elaine

Comment

• Originally posted by jean banaszak View Post
                                        I paid £6.99 for one household search and it was a closed name, waste of money for me then but £6.99 better for FMP.
                                        that happened to me last night so I went on live chat with them and they sorted it I'm sure they will give you your money back if its locked.

Comment

• OC

I've looked at the other residents for those sharing the same page reference:

Lewisham - all have year of birth except Jessie S Brown
                                          Romford there is only one other person living there - who had his year of birth 1892
                                          Leyton - none have year of birth

Comment

Working...
                                          X