Find my Past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find my Past

Has anyone put their tree on Find My Past? if so what do they think of it.
    Thanks

siamese

I'd be interested in the answer to this. I did look into it a little while ago but I don't think you can make it public, which is eventually what I want to do before I pop my clogs!!!
    Anne

Comment

You can, Anne, there is a box you tick if you want your tree public, which I do not. Have my tree on tribalpages and private but as I subscribe to find my past I need to cut down the cost. You can have a free tree on TP but space is limited. One thing I am not sure about FMP is do they have a back up.

siamese

Comment

If you make your tree public is it searchable by subscribers as it is on ancestry?

Comment

Also, is it on the dark web or could anyone find it with a google search on a particular ancestor?
          People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
          Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Are Findmypast trees searchable? I thought at the moment they were only viewable by the tree owner.
            Elaine

Comment

Hmmm ... interesting. There is (as Siamese says) a box to tick for public. BUT if you look at the FAQ this is what it says .....

"We don't currently have the facility for you to search other family trees on Findmypast or to share your own tree.
              However, our technical team are working on that and expect to introduce that feature next year.
              We will keep you informed via our newsletters and onsite messaging of any changes."

Anne

Comment

Not so interested in searching other trees,

Comment

You must have a huge tree, Siamese! I have three free trees on Tribal Pages - 2,000, 4,500 and 7,500. No one has told me to limit them. Two are public, one is private, i.e. by invitation only.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    You must have a huge tree, Siamese! I have three free trees on Tribal Pages - 2,000, 4,500 and 7,500. No one has told me to limit them. Two are public, one is private, i.e. by invitation only.

OC
                    I think the terms have changed recently OC but they don't affect anyone who had an account prior to the changes.
                    The free option allows you to have unlimited names but only up to 50 images attached. For anyone who wanted to attached certificates, census info, etc. then they would have to subscribe to one of the paid accounts. There are a couple of different levels but can't find the page on TP which gives the details!
                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      There are a couple of different levels but can't find the page on TP which gives the details!
                      Found it ..
                      Elaine

Comment

Oh, perhaps it's changed recently then. My trees have been on there for a few years now. The big attraction of TP for me is that relatives can see "our" tree without having to subscribe to anything.

The other two trees are hobby trees and I live in hope that someone, somewhere, will be able to tell me something I don't know about the people on them!

OC

Comment

I should have said - I don't have FMP but it all depends on what you want from your tree host. If you are hoping for contacts it's probably a good idea to put your tree on as many sites as possible. I wouldn't trust my whole tree to any one site as there is no guarantee that any internet host will be around for ever, so my complete, full tree is offline.

OC

Comment

"no guarantee that any internet host will be around for ever,"

That is another reason why I am thinking of using FMP

siamese

Comment

"no guarantee that any internet host will be around for ever,"
                              That is another reason why I am thinking of using FMP
                              siamese
                              One thing you have to think about when hosting a tree on an third party website is how you are going to back it up. Whether it be FMP, Ancestry, Tribal Pages or one of the many other tree building sites, you should never rely on a third party to host the master copy of your tree.
                              You can download GEDCOMS from the majority of sites, but these will be data only and will not include images and documents attached - unless you are using something like Ancestry with Family Tree Maker software on your computer.

You are far better off storing your tree on software on your computer and under your control, and then uploading GEDCOM files to the many online sites should you wish to make your data public in the hopes of attracting connections.
                              Elaine

Comment

I agree, Elaine, The second site if I went ahead would only be dates and names, I save my GEDCOM on a memory pen but cannot open it for viewing

siamese

Comment

Originally posted by siamesewillow View Post
                                  I agree, Elaine, The second site if I went ahead would only be dates and names, I save my GEDCOM on a memory pen but cannot open it for viewing

siamese
                                  You could if you used RootsMagic. If you purchase the full orogramme you also get RootsMagicToGo which runs the whole thing from your stick. I'm not sure if any other pc based tree programme has this facility. FTM doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                                  X