Family Bible and Chair to be passed on to Family, Chapman/ Holt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Bible and Chair to be passed on to Family, Chapman/ Holt

I have a contact, a friend of a friend who is downsizing and has in her possession these items that belonged to her late Sister's Husband and no heirs to pass them on to so this lady who has asked me for help to try and get them as close to family as we can.
    I am going to give her a link to the Forum to become a member so she can follow this thread so she will become member GT21 but I will give all the details she has given me from the Family Bible and Chair which are to go together as the chair is engraved with a Family members details.

From the Bible (sorry clicked post by mistake)
    Last edited by clematised; 11-09-15, 21:11.

I have written this down as she gave it to me over the telephone so there may be a margin for error on my part but I am sure you will check the details first
    Edna

From the Bible

Neville Chapman son of George and Jane born Barton on Humber March 8th 1848
    Eliza Jane Chapman daughter of John and Elizabeth Thompson born Appleby November 30th 1847

Neville and Eliza Jane married 12 November 1872 Appleby Church
    daughter of NevilleAppleby Church and Eliza Jane, Kate Thompson Chapman born 1st March 1874 Barton on Humber Lincolnshire
    Annie Chapman born 10th May 1875? (not sure if I have copied this correctly it could be Annie Eliza)
    Eliza died Appleby 1875 17 May 1875 (possibly in childbirth)
    Kate Thompson Chapman married Arthur Holt April 13th 1890
    John Holt son of Arthur and Kate born Scunthorp 18th June 1899
    Annie Elizabeth Chapman married William Dann 19 March 1901 at Appleby Church
    Charles Edwin Holt son of Arthur and Kate born Scunthorp October 3rd 1910

The Chair

It is an adult sized chair inscribed with the words "Elizabeth Thompson her chair 1898" She was the First daughter of Neville and Eliza Chapman

That concludes the information given to me by GT21 and if I have any of these details wrong then I am sure they will be put right when she joins the Forum

Edna
    Last edited by clematised; 11-09-15, 21:36.

Comment

Presume this is Appleby, LIN and not Appleby, WES?
      Anne

Comment

Anne I asked her if it was Appleby WES and she did not know of an Appleby in Linc's so it need to be verified by checking facts I don't have subs

Edna

Comment

Just checking out the maps and all these places mentioned look like Lincolnshire

Edna

Comment

Yes, just checked the map. I knew there was a Lincs Appleby but not how close to Scunthorpe it is!
            Anne

Comment

All seem to be in Linc's Anne

Edna

http://maps.northlincs.gov.uk/iSharewebin.Web/myNorthlincs.aspx?mapsource=Northlincs_webin/nlc_allmaps&Layers=Parishes

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Ba...d53.588646!3e0

all within a half hour drive
              Last edited by clematised; 11-09-15, 23:41.

Comment

There are several trees on Ancestry with Family members listed but I dont have access to them

Edna

Comment

Welcome GT21 I can see you have made it on to the forum, there is no help as yet but I am sure someone will offer to send messages off to the tree holders on Ancestry soon, maybe after the weekend.

Edna

Comment

Just a quick answer, all those ancestry trees are the right family but none of them have either John of Charles descendant. John & Charles are on the 1911 census with their parents in Scunthorp, Lincolnshire. Can't find Kate on the 1881 census with a quick look but she is on the 1891 with her Thompson grandparents b Appleby Lincolnshire at Appleby, Lincolnshire.

Tora

Comment

Perhaps family members with more recent birthdates have not been added to, or are not showing up on, Ancestry trees for privacy reasons?

Jay
                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 13-09-15, 16:36.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Tora,
                        I know the last owner of the property was a Holt but that line ended.
                        I had really hoped this Forum would take up the challenge to find descendants as I can't do it myself

Edna

Comment

Will do some investigation when I get back from hols, if no one else has, edna. Bit busy holidaying at the mo!
                          Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne.

Edna

Comment

Edna,

I can find nothing on John Holt. Charles E Holt married Catherine M Chapman at Scunthorpe 1939. He died at Scunthorpe June quarter 1962 b 1911 age 51. Could only find 1 child for them - Bryan Holt b 1939 mother Chapman at Scunthorpe died 2005 b 1939 at same place.

Tora

Comment

Yes Tora I think that is the right Family, sadly no heirs and the line has now died out so we really need to check the lines further back and try to find someone who will treasure these items as a family heirloom.

Edna

Comment

Edna, Annie (nee Chapman) & William Dann are on the 1911 census with John b 1902, Mary Kathleen b 1906 and Rowland Samuel 1908 all b Saxby All Saints (reg as Glanford Brigg on Free BDM). Family search have a Cedric G W Dann b 1914 at Glanford Brigg mother's maiden name Chapman. Can't find a marriage for John who d 1973 at Scunthorpe. Same for Rowland who d 1986 at Scunthorpe. Mary Kathleen, there is a marriage in 1936 at Glanford to Richard W Tomlinson and death form Mary K Tomlinson 1965 at Scunthorpe. Cedric there is a marriage to a Georgina Violet Comerford 1841 in Surrey. Also probate for Cedric William Glentworth Dann to Violet G Dann in 1959 died at Scunthorp. Haven't looked for any children yet.

Tora

Comment

Thanks Tora,
                                    I will be out for the whole day and early evening but please continue to help if possible.

Edna

Comment

Edna, found 2 children for Cedric but can not find a marriage for either of them. Found 1 child for Mary Kathleen, found a marriage but no children.

Tora

Comment

Edna,

Sorry I'm a little confused. "Elizabeth Thomas owner if the chair 1898". Is she the first child of Neville & Eliza Chapman, as I understood they only had 2 children, 1st Kate 1874 and Annie 1875.

Tora

Comment

Working...
                                        X