Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siamesewillow View Post
    "http://www.genfair.co.uk/product_lis...22&page=102124"

Yes I have only get Charles died 1877. I subscribe to the Bristol and Avon family history so I'll contact them. I have visited the Bristol RO but not a easy place to get to,(do not drive)

siamese
    I know what you mean.. maybe someone from the FHS can do a little research for you? [especially if you don't drive] I have had another thought too, what if you contact Bristol Register office and ask them if they could supply the cert to you if his occupation as shipwright? or explain the situation to them and see if they could advise on the situation at all.

I think what Trevor is getting at the the Poole name is that it can sound like Coole too, so, maybe someone misheard/misunderstood etc. [though we know that Elizabeth married W C so her name was Trott and not Coole]
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Do you have any indication William Charles Trott was a Shipwright? In the 1861 & 1871 censuses he is shown as a Ship Carpenter's apprentice and a Ship Carpenter respectively and a Ship Carpenter is not a Shipwright. As has been said previously a Shipwright is engaged on the building of ships/boats but a Ship Carpenter is a crew member of a vessel with the responsibility to maintain and repair the vessel. As such, a Ship Carpenter goes to sea and a death overseas should not be ruled out. Bristol Record Office apparently has a crew list from 1865 showing a WC Trott, b. 1840, Bristol, as a Carpenter in the crew of the 'Sir James', a sail vessel.
      An Index of Merchant Seamen on FMP also shows at least three men named William Trott who were ticketed (registered) at Bristol as Merchant Seamen, each with a different number but no further information or date, infuriatingly.
      It is not be unknown for a seaman to have jumped ship overseas, willingly or unwillingly so this particular mystery may run for a while yet.
      Like everybody else, I could not find any trace of Elizabeth Trott in the 1881 census, which was the original search.

merleyone

Comment

On William and Charles marriage certificate William's occupation was Shipwright, but maybe he did carpentry as well, yes I see he was an apprentice and a ship carpenter. May account why he disappeared. Personally I have grave doubts about that 1877. death.

siamese

Comment

might be worth getting her will if this is itelizabeth trott.jpg

Comment

dont know if you have seen thismerchant navy.jpg

Comment

Yes, Val, I had seen the will entry, Albert was her Nephew. But had not seen the navy entry,was it from FMP?
              Also found this entry which may have nothing to do with my William
              "First name(s) William
              Last name Trott
              Birth year -
              Admission year 1911
              Age -
              Trade Carpenters & joiners
              Union name Amalgamated Society of Carpenters & Joiners
              Union branch Bristol 2
              Union branch as transcribed Bristol 2
              County Gloucestershire
              Country England
              Archive Modern Records Centre
              Archive reference MSS.78/ASCJ/2/3/2
              Title Reference Book
              Dates 1911
              Information contained Members who originally joined one branch who have since transferred to another branch, organised by original branch joined
              No of volumes 1
              Record set Britain, Trade Union membership registers
              Category Education & work
              Subcategory Guild & Trade Associations
              Collections from Great Britain"

Comment

Originally posted by siamesewillow View Post
                On William and Charles marriage certificate William's occupation was Shipwright, but maybe he did carpentry as well, yes I see he was an apprentice and a ship carpenter. May account why he disappeared. Personally I have grave doubts about that 1877. death.

siamese

ahhhhh I would think that he 'bigged up' his occupation to impress his in-laws, or maybe even impress his wife/friends.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Elizabeth Trott died at 100 Fishponds Road, Bristol, which was the site of Eastville Workhouse although at some time in the 1930s it was renamed as Eastville Institute. The address alone was well known in the city as the Workhouse and rarely needed any clarification.
                  Googling '100 Fishponds Road, Bristol' will tell you all you want to know about this place.

merleyone

Comment

Did not know that, Mereleyone, but it makes me cross as her brother was very wealthy, unless it acted as a hospital.

Comment

For what it is worth, I have had a problem with a transcription on the 1901 census:
                      Three of my great aunts - surname Poole - were transcribed as Coole.

I did report this, and when the census went through a process of correcting errors, the name was spelt correctly - but all three ladies became male.

Geoff

Comment

DoctorGeoff, How right you are, on the 1851 census Coole is translated as Cool"s" when you go into the original you can see its a "e" not a "s" bad translation. But on saying that the writing on some of the originals has a lot to be desired

siamese

Comment

But in all fairness to the transcribers, often we are able to identify errors simply because we are very aware of the actual name that was recorded and so can make it out.

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                          X