No announcement yet.

USA help (illinois) and yorkshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His death stated he was in the American forces during WWII, but i didn't see him on familysearch's military records. I forget what his occupation was, I'll check when i get home. Something basic from memory. It seems he wasn't naturalised, but the guy who registered agnes believed she was American.

Thank you finding her birth in Scotland. I'm wondering if they married at all. Maybe scotland, but i assume USA, if so.

Comment

Agnes (possibly C) Woolley – born June 11th 1910 at 5.00am at Colinton Mains, Colinton. Father Charles Woolley, Dairyman. Mothers name looks more like Farquahar Woolley nee Blair. Married Nov 3rd 1899 at St Giles, Edinburgh. Informant father Charles Woolley Present. Registered June 28th.

p.s. Just checked and the marriage of parents gives her name as Farquhar.

I can’t find a marriage for Agnes and Wilfred.
      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 10-09-15, 10:06.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

wilfred crossfield- d.28 jan 1983, elston nursing home, 2233 n. sayre avenue, chicago, cook county, illinois. inpatient. 77, born england, 8 apr 1905. parents names unknown. white. origin or descent: english. citizen of england. married to agnes woolley. operator in a plastics company. US war veteran: yes, conflict: WWII.

agnes crossfield- d.18 apr 1986, central baptist home for the aged, 7901 lawrence av, norridge, chicago, cook county, illinois. inpatient. 75, b.11 jun 1910, illinois. white, of scotch descent or origin. US citizen, widowed. occupation: dietary in hospital. parents: charles woolley and flora blair. informant was myron dudek, in records.

both have social security numbers.

Comment

so the family travelled to quebec in 1929/30. and there was a son in michigan. so why canada? i don't have worldwide, so can only access the british records. if the ship docks in new york before heading to quebec, why not get off there, if they are visiting their son?

Comment

US WWII service records are very restricted, or don't exist:

The draft cards for WWII are online, and there are enlistment records, too - but the latter is very limited - name, age and place of enlistment. And applications for military headstones are on ancestry, tho I don't know what that cut off date is.

But for some reason, I thought that record of him looked like a merchant marine?
            "here's some more info on the Tureby. It was a Danish cargo ship (but sailed under a British flag 1940-1945) sailing out of Cardiff to NY on this occasion"
            Looking at the passenger/crew list, it doesn't strike me as a US military operation.

So, yes, he served in WWII, but not likely in the military?

And where do you suppose her parents died... that might be interesting?

She naturalized, but he didn't? She might have naturalized before meeting him, along with her parents, perhaps. Or it's another mistake by the registrar (likely, I think, since the registrar thought she was born in the US). And, assuming they married in the US, you may have a terrible time finding it. I checked the Cook County genealogy website, but they don't have anything for him or her - but maybe they ran off to another get-married-quick site...He may never have told her that he was still married (if that's even the case).

Comment

Working...
            X