USA help (illinois) and yorkshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA help (illinois) and yorkshire

can i get a hand with agnes woolley and wilfred crossfield please?

my uncle wilfred crossfield was b.1905, leeds. son of david crossfield (1865-1926) and edith maude ford (1871-1941). he married monica mary simpson (1908-1981, dau of herbert simpson and martha noble) in 1928, scoonie, fife. he had two children (1928 and 1933) in nth bierley district of yorks.

in 1954, he left southampton aboard the 'georgic', with an agnes crossfield. their last address was edinburgh. they arrived in new york. wilfred died in 1983 in chicago, and agnes in 1986 at norridge, both in illinois.

wilfred's first wife died as crossfield in nth bierley district in 1981. i'm unsure if they divorced.

agnes' death stated she was born in 1910, illinois. her parents were given as charles woolley and flora blair. i've been unable to locate anything on agnes or her parents, asides from the passenger list and the death cert. i'm interested in finding out wilfred's movements from 1933-1954, apparently he served in WWII from his death cert.....and agnes' movements prior to 1954. is there a record of her entry to the UK?

It sounds like you have the DCs - where were they buried? You could create memorial pages for them on findagrave, and hopefully someone would take the photo for you. Ask that they photo any grave stones in the plot, and any nearby Woolleys and Crossfields.

I didn't find Agnes Woolley on familysearch's census indexes, even broadening the year of birth.

What about obits? Chicago Tribune usually has only a two-line blurb, but it might name family. Who were the informants?

Comment

Wilfred's DC info on fs
      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Agnes on SSDI. Norridge is in Cook count
      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Comment

Do you know if Wilfred naturalized? And who is Paul Vega on the Wilfred's DC?

I wonder if Agnes' POB is incorrect on the death cert. If it was filled in by, say, a registrar in a nursing home, that might give the incorrect info.

Have you looked for her in UK 1911 census?
        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 09-09-15, 14:49.

Comment

1944 Gunner, passenger list

This one says they did not embark 10 Feb 1954

and the other one left 19 May 1954

Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Got her I think, off to 34 Albert Street, Edinburgh

UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
            Name: Agnes Woolley
            Birth Date: abt 1910
            Port of Departure: New York, New York, United States
            Arrival Date: 26 Sep 1930
            Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England
            Ship Name: Andania

???

Index to Alien Arrivals at Canadian Atlantic and Pacific Seaports, 1904-1944

Name: Agnes Wooley
            Birth Year: abt 1910
            Arrival Year: 1930
            Arrival Country: USA
            Elaine

Comment

Looking again was a bit unsure as she is coming from Quebec but there is a passenger list for a Flora and Chas

UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960

Name: Flora Woolley
              Birth Date: abt 1885
              Port of Departure: Montréal, Québec, Canada
              Arrival Date: 3 Jun 1914
              Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England
              Ship Name: Virginian
              Elaine

Comment

Just looked again at Cook County Genealogy, and Illinois Cyberdrive for the Birth Cert of Agnes, but no joy.

I have relatives born in Chicago in that time frame who did not have their births registered. Procedures were not fully followed at that time.

Comment

This Charles Woolley c 1864 off to Quebec was at 94 Albert Street Edinburgh going to USA

Name: Charles Woolley
                  Birth Date: abt 1864
                  Departure Date: 6 Sep 1929
                  Port of Departure: Glasgow, Scotland
                  Destination Port: Quebec, Canada
                  Ship Name: Athenia

Presumably Margaret is his wife, sure they are in Illinois too

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Charles Woolley 35
                  Margaret A Woolley 34
                  Earl E Woolley 14
                  Dewey Woolley 2
                  Elaine

Comment

Scap 1900, passenger list as family have them 1930 Cook, Illinois

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Charles Woolley 65 born Scotland
                    Henry Woolley 21
                    Margaret Woolley 24

Border crossing wife Farquhar 94 Albert Street
                    Son John and address Detroit

Loads of info Michigan passenger list

Then I checked the hints

1891 Farguhar Blair

1901 Scotland Woolley

Charles Woolley 35
                    Farguhar Woolley 26
                    John Woolley 1
                    Robert Keir 28
                    Jane Ferguson 45
                    Jas D Ferguson 15
                    Jane A L Ferguson 11
                    Mary A Ferguson 9

Farquhar and Agnes

UK, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960

Name: Farquhar Woolley
                    Birth Date: abt 1877
                    Departure Date: 16 Aug 1930
                    Port of Departure: Greenock, Scotland
                    Destination Port: Quebec; Montreal, Canada
                    Ship Name: Antonia

US Border Crossing

They are off to Charles but have come from dau Helen Fox 3 Bathfield Road, Leith. Both are as Farquhar

Michigan passenger lists also

Elaine

Comment

So, if this is they in 1954
                      5 Wilfred Crossfield 15 Feb 1954 Southampton, England Britain British Queen Elizabeth New York, New York 179
                      6 ??Ens Crossfield 15 Feb 1954 Southampton, England Britain British Queen Elizabeth New York, New York 179

Not that I can read the actual record, but don't you think the ??Ens is Agnes? Showing that she's British nationality? Altho it's true that her Birth place is blank. Perhaps she was traveling on her husband's British passport?

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                        1944 Gunner, passenger list

Difficult to say with any certainty, other than the name and birth year being right, but IF this is your Wilfred, it gives some indication of movements during WW2 - he had been a crew member for 4 years. I don't know if this might get you any further, but just in case, here's some more info on the Tureby. It was a Danish cargo ship (but sailed under a British flag 1940-1945) sailing out of Cardiff to NY on this occasion. More info here:

Last edited by Karamazov; 09-09-15, 22:26.
                        Researching:
                        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Just realised Farquhar x2 and Agnes left 1930 but Agnes is not on the border crossing
                          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                            So, if this is they in 1954
                            5 Wilfred Crossfield 15 Feb 1954 Southampton, England Britain British Queen Elizabeth New York, New York 179
                            6 ??Ens Crossfield 15 Feb 1954 Southampton, England Britain British Queen Elizabeth New York, New York 179

Not that I can read the actual record, but don't you think the ??Ens is Agnes? Showing that she's British nationality? Altho it's true that her Birth place is blank. Perhaps she was traveling on her husband's British passport?
                            Its definitely AGENS crossed through so just a typo for Agnes. On the May sailing where they did actually embark, she and Wilfred are both travelling on differently numbered British passports. So she had a British passport in her own right, not travelling on her husband's.
                            I'm inclined to think Illinois as the place of birth is a red herring and that she was British.

Christine
                            Researching:
                            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                              Its definitely AGENS crossed through so just a typo for Agnes. On the May sailing where they did actually embark, she and Wilfred are both travelling on differently numbered British passports. So she had a British passport in her own right, not travelling on her husband's.
                              I'm inclined to think Illinois as the place of birth is a red herring and that she was British.

Christine
                              Was too late to edit previous post with this addition:

I'm inclined to think Illinois as the place of birth is a red herring and that she was British. If the only mention of Illinois as the place of birth is from the death info that Kyle posted in post 1 - well, I'm sure we've all come across errors in death certs where the informant didn't know the deceased well (as in the case of a public official). Even close relatives can simply get it wrong, assume or misremember. Just yesterday, I had a death record where the wife as informant said her husband's mother was Mary Jane Sanford when she was actually Mary Ann Redpath!
                              Christine
                              Researching:

Comment

I didn't spot her birth in FreeBMD, but I wonder if Scotland's People is the place to look?

The Cunard line record is a bit confusing, because it's supposed to be a list of British passengers, but they are circled USA, and that's their next permanent record. Perhaps labelled that way because they had stated their intent to settle in the US?

Also, the border crossing for Farquhar indicates that they had never been in the US before.

Yes, I think the Illinois birth place is likely incorrect

Comment

Ooh thank you all for the information. I have copies of wilfred and agnes' deaths. Paul vega certified wilfred's, he was his doctor. The person who certified agnes worked at the nursing home. They are buried at memorial gardens in Arlington heights, cook county.

Wilfred's death stated he was english, of english nationality....yet his death appears on the socual security number database.

Agnes is recorded as being scotch on hers, but it asks for descent, with another box recording Nationality. So her father was born in Scotland, and her mother isn't flota, but farquhar?

Starting to wonder if the errors are due to nursing home staff recording the deaths. I'm starting to think she was scottish born. And wondering how she met wilfred. He married in Scotland in 1928, and we have no idea why, as he and monica were yorks born.

Comment

Kyle,
                                    The fact that he appears on the U.S. SSDI just indicates that he had applied for a U.S. social security number. He would have needed it for work purposes-the equivalent of a national insurance number here in the UK. I have lots of Irish immigrants who did so too - some who became naturalised, some who didn't.

Photofamily -- re post 16
                                    re the May 1954 sailing on the Georgic and their arrival in NY - both are travelling on separate British passports and are recorded on a page of inbound passengers (Aliens) indicating that neither had US citizenship at that time.

Kyle - re post 12 - what was his occupation in the U.S. ? Do you know if he applied for naturalisation?
                                    If he had been a sailor previous to WW2 perhaps that offers some explanation as to marriage in Scotland??

Christine
                                    Last edited by Karamazov; 10-09-15, 07:04.
                                    Researching:

Comment

Agnes Woolley was born in Colinton, Edinburgh on 11th June 1910. Will type details shortly.
                                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                                        Kyle,
                                        Kyle - re post 12 - what was his occupation in the U.S. ? Do you know if he applied for naturalisation?
                                        If he had been a sailor previous to WW2 perhaps that offers some explanation as to marriage in Scotland??

Christine
                                        Just jumping in at the end of things - re Wilfred's occupation, he could have been on the construction/maintenance side of things rather than a member of either the merchant or royal navies. (I'm thinking Clydeside and the shipbuilding industry.)

Jay
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                                        X