Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mac software - GedGap

New Mac software - GedGap

Hi,

I just wanted to post an article on some new software for those using Mac computers called GedGap (available from Mac App Store).

GedGap is a software research tool which reads in a GEDCOM file from your family tree website (e.g. Ancestry) or your genealogy software and it analyses it to prioritise and calculate confidence in your birth and death event sources for each person in your tree. It does this by scoring your sources as to how strong they are in providing proof of the birth or death event, e.g. a birth certificate provides better evidence than a census record of a birth event. In addition, it will highlight whether there is missing vital sources for individuals in your tree, whether research has ceased or is complete.

Research notes can be added as well as changing the priority, confidence, flag settings as well as birth and death tips.

A link to the software is https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gedg...876?ls=1&mt=12

Regards
    Paul

New version is available

A new version 1.2 is available from the App Store this morning, with the following additions;
    • Added customisable birth and death scoring for sources under Preferences, e.g. change score or add new source types,
    • Added 'Recalculate GedGap Scores' when scoring changes under Edit menu, and
    • Added 'Email the Developer' for feedback and comments under Help menu.

The customisable scoring means that you can add a new or change the points awarded to an existing source type. For example, a census source scores 10 points for a birth event; you may wish to remove the scoring of census records as evidence of birth and then re-score your file.

A new version called GedGap2Go is available for iOS devices (iPhone and iPad) and is available to download from iTunes.

GedGap2Go no longer available

Quote Originally Posted by 7cookies View Post
    A new version called GedGap2Go is available for iOS devices (iPhone and iPad) and is available to download from iTunes.
    GedGap2Go is end of life and is no longer available on the App Store but technical support will be available to all customers until 26th October 2018.
    A new update of the macOS GedGap is available free on Mac App Store.

I received permission from Andrew, the (Former) executive editor, YFH to publish an extract of their review with attribution. It is a shame that the "Your Family Tree" UK magazine is no longer in publication.

"… takes any GEDCOM file and then rates all the birth and death event sources for each person in your tree. Scores are calculated by type of source (so a certificate is better than a census record) … making this a great tool for Mac users wishing to validate key data in their tree."Source: Your Family Magazine, (page 94, issue 182, May 2017),“Reviews: Software & Apps”.

Please note; The GedGap software is available free (no in-app purchases or advertisements) from the Mac App Store.

Oops... that should read "Your Family History" magazine, my mistake.

Is there anyway i can download the previous version as I am still running OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Suein10b View Post
    Is there anyway i can download the previous version as I am still running OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
    Hi Sue,
    Sure, please contact me from the website https://sevencookiesapps.wordpress.com/contact/, and include your email or from GedGap's help menu "Email the Developer". I will create a non-App Store version for you that will run on mac10.10 (and I will even put your name of it). If there is enough feedback to go back to 10.10, I will make future updates for mac10.10+ on the Mac App Store.
    Hear from you soon...
    Thanks, Paul

New Mac software - GedGap

Quote Originally Posted by 7cookies View Post
    Hi Sue,
    Sure, please contact me from the website https://sevencookiesapps.wordpress.com/contact/, and include your email or from GedGap's help menu "Email the Developer". I will create a non-App Store version for you that will run on mac10.10 (and I will even put your name of it). If there is enough feedback to go back to 10.10, I will make future updates for mac10.10+ on the Mac App Store.
    Hear from you soon...
    Thanks, Paul

Thank you Paul have contacted you. Regards Sue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Suein10b; 02-05-18 at 09:25.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Suein10b View Post
    Thank you Paul have contacted you. Regards Sue
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hello Sue,
    I have received your email, to which I have replied with some instructions and the GedGap v2.5 app for macOS 10.10. I hope the email attachment is not too big for your mailbox. Anyhow, let me know how you get on since I tend not to publish apps outside of the Mac App Store.
    Regards,
    Paul