Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for Rev. Cooke in 18th Century Hampshire, England

Hello,

I am new to Family Tree Forum, having read Daddy of all Mysteries, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I wondered if anyone might have any idea of how I might find a Rev. Cooke who was a rector somewhere in Hampshire in the second half of the 18th century! The only information is that his son (my 3xgreat grandfather), Dr Edward Cooke, married Mary Hanmer in Bristol in 1801. I don't know when/where Edward was born, but family lore tells that he was the son of a rector in Hampshire. It's not much to go on, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

According to a message on the ancestry boards from 2007, Edward Cooke was born ca. 1760. I have checked the Hampshire baptism records, and there were no Edward Cookes baptised at all around that time. There were a few Edward Cooks baptised, one in 1760 (baseborn, mother Mary in Portsmouth) and 2 in 1762 (in Bishops Waltham to John and Martha and in St Mary Bourne to Edward and Elizabeth).
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Ooh - interesting. Further checking of the baptisms reveals that John and Martha are named as Cooke for their daughter Olive in 1764. Then on Knightsroots, it has a listing of Rectors for Bishops Waltham and John Cooke was Rector 1737 to 1744. Maybe there is some link here.

http://www.knightroots.co.uk/transcr...ps_Waltham.htm
      Linda

Comment

A bit more info, but you need to do a lot more research, this may not be the right connection.

John (w) married Martha Barnes 15/8/1756 in South Stoneham (just down the road from Bishops Waltham)
        John and Martha had 8 children between 1757 and 1772. There is a death for Martha Cook in BW in 1774. 2 possibilities for Johns death 1774 and 1801.

It looks like John was previously married to Mary, who died in either 1752 or 1754. A few possibilities for marriages to Mary.

Gives you a little bit to go on anyway.
        Linda

Comment

Have you tried the Clergy database? http://theclergydatabase.org.uk/
          I see the John Cook mentioned above is listed. Bit of a needle in a haystack though!
          Anne

Comment

According to the Clergy Database he died in 1744 so was not the John of John and Martha above.

Back to the drawingboard!
            Linda

Comment

Thank you, Linda and Ann for your suggestions. I'm afraid the message on Ancestry boards was posted by me. I have been looking for Edward Cooke for a long time! I think his date of birth is more likely to be ca. 1770.

I don't think I have come across the birth of an Edward Cooke to Edward and Elizabeth in St Mary Bourne. I will look into that further.

Also I found a record on Ancestry (Hampshire Extracted Parish Records) as follows - "23 Sept 1758 Mrs Elizabeth Cooke, relict of Rev. Mr Cooke bur.". I am a bit confused because the Collection named is "Hampshire - Register of Marriages 1576-1812".

I am very grateful for the link to the Clergy Database. I have another very elusive clergyman on my husband's side of the family and have found one possible name, which I will also follow up.

One other thing, do you know anything about records for surgeons at that time? Edward must have trained somewhere. I think many doctors trained in Edinburgh. I have searched for him at the British Library as he was in the service of the East India Company. If I recall correctly, I found his name in a directory, but that's all. He died in 1810 as a result of a shipwreck off the Cape of Good Hope.

Thanks again!

Comment

Here's another scenario for you - as Rev John died in 1744, and Elizabeth, relict to Rev in 1758, it seems reasonable to assume that she was Mrs John. So I did another search of baptisms and found they had a son John, born 23 Aug 1734, received into the church after private bapt. on 20 Sept 1734 at Winchester, parents Mr and Mrs Rev John and Elizabeth Cook.

So could family lore have missed out a generation, and Edward was grandson of the Rev? This will obviously need to be proved/disproved.

Mr & Mrs Rev had 6 children bapt at Winchester - Elizabeth, Francis, Mary, Rebekah, Ann and John
                Linda

Comment

Was he definitely a surgeon and not a doctor of divinity?

OC
                  Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 04-09-15, 18:42.

Comment

Edward was definitely a Surgeon (his daughter died in Scotland and death records there show the names and professions of parents, which is most helpful). He is shown as "Edward Cooke, Surgeon, Honorable East India Company Service, Deceased". His father was, according to family lore, "Rev. Cooke of Hampshire".

Family lore could easily have skipped a generation. Some of the statements in the book are muddled but based on fact. I will try to pursue Rev. John (see above).

Comment

It's just that surgeons are normally called Mister, not Doctor and I wonder if someone misunderstood. Where is he recorded as Dr

(He could have been both, of course!)

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                        It's just that surgeons are normally called Mister, not Doctor and I wonder if someone misunderstood. Where is he recorded as Dr

(He could have been both, of course!)

OC
                        I forgot about that OC - in the announcement of his marriage in the papers in 1801 he is recorded as Mr not Dr, which I wondered about, but if he was a surgeon that makes sense.
                        Linda

Comment

Ah, right, thanks Linda.

He ought to be recorded somewhere as a surgeon in that case, must have gone to medical school.

OC

Comment

I am sorry I haven't kept up with this thread - for some reason I did not receive any notification of new posts, and when I checked the forum I failed to notice that one has to move to the next page!

Regarding whether Edward was a surgeon or a physician, one of the links above (for which many thanks) led me to this on the Royal College of General Practitioners page where it states: "
                            The term 'surgeon' traditionally described a person who performed operations with the use of surgical instruments. However some surgeons, particularly in the 19th century, also worked in other areas of medical practice." I will enquire as to where I can find copies of the publications mentioned.

Sue

Comment

Lily1950 - Edward was born in Gloucester City in 1769, baptism St Mary de Crypt 8/1769, the son of John Cook(1732-c1782), note no "e", an Apothecary and his wife Elizabeth Weaver(1737-aft1782) the daughter of Thomas Weaver the biggest pin manufacturer in Gloucester. Edward was a Surgeon in the Bengal Medical Service a division of the East India Company Civil Service. As of the 1700's he probably gained his surgeon skills by way of an apprenticeship possibly with a distant cousin in Gloucester. He died on the East Indiaman "Sir William Pulteney" on passage from Calcutta to Capetown. It is probable he was ill before he left India and was being sent home to England. It is not known if his wife Mary and three children were on the ship. The Reverend Gentleman in the family folklore was probably Edward's brother, the Rev. George Gooke(1760-1840) who served in two parishes in Gloucestershire his last parish being Tortworth near Bristol where he was Rector for many years and never married. George was appointed a guardian/mentor to Edwards's only son Augustus(Bengal1803-Camberwll, Surrey 1873) who became a G.P./Apothecary married 21/9/1835 at Halling, Kent Anne Hollingsworth (Ayrshire1810-Surrey1852). The two daughters, Ann Clark Coles Cooke(Bengal 1802-Surrey 1876) never married and Caroline(Bengal1805-Edinburgh1875) married the Rev. David Horne(1812-1863) at Duddingston, Midlothian, Scotland on 18/12/1832 had as a guardian/mentor Sir Robert Keith Dick(from the 1820's Dick-Cunyngham) who had married Harriet Hanmer a younger sister of Edward's wife Mary. Robert had been in the Bengal Civil Service(until he inherited the family estates about 1815) and a friend for some years of Edward in India.
                              The guardianship/mentoring of the children depended on conditions a number applying to whether Mary remarried and the timing of her death. I have no knowledge of when and where she died or whether she remarried. If you do it would be appreciated.
                              With regard to the spelling of "Cooke" prior to Edward's generation the usage was mainly "Cook" but not always. From Edward's generation down the tendency was to use "Cooke" but from time to time "Cook" can turn up until about 1851-1861. Trust this is of assistance.

Comment

Hello qcg7248 and welcome to FTF
                                Lily hasn't been on the site for a couple of months, so I have sent her a PM to direct her to your reply.
                                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

qcg7278 Thank you so much for your message. It is indeed of assistance!

Edward and Caroline Cooke were my GGG grandparents. Everything you said about the family fits perfectly with what I knew and I am delighted to know the names of Edward's parents and brother. May I ask if you are connected to this family? Thank you again.

Comment

I'm sorry - I should have said that Edward and Mary Cooke were my GGG grandparents.

Comment

I have sent a private message to qcg7248, who I think may have tried to reply, but the message is blank. I do have a little more information about Mary Cooke (née Hanmer) which I would be happy to share.

Comment

Working...
                                      X