Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birth and Baptism has Fathers name but not mothers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guy

As we can't identify the document, we'll never know!

OC

Comment

In my experience, the film listed for an indexed familysearch record, is indeed the film it came from.

The record does list the film that it came from.

The only way I can think of to explore the actual source, and the actual record, is to review the film! Shame they did away with their retrieval service :(

Comment

PF I am not querying the FILM the record came from, I am querying the source of what has been filmed.

If on the search screen you enter Woolton, born 1882 to 1882 and no name, you get a list of baptisms for children allegedly baptised in Woolton. Clicking on some of these names brings up a results form with christened in Woolton, Lancashire (no mention of Liverpool) and the names of both parents. The film number for each of the ones I tried is given as 2147929
        The film number for the William Matthews record is 2147930

I am disappointed with the way the familysearch.org site seems to be heading; i.e. back how it used to be in the latter days of IGI.

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 01-09-15, 15:18.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

It may not be him cannot be sure except he was born around 1881-2 and Fathers name was William Matthews, Mothers name was Mary so not hard to decipher I would have thought.
          Thanks everybody for your interesting comments.

Comment

Hello, have just come across this thread, and having been born and brought up on the outskirts of Liverpool, I can vouch for the place Woolton as definitely being part of Liverpool, in fact it was, and probably still is, referred to as Woolton Village.

Lennon & McCarthy lived in the area and, as the Quarrymen, reputedly played their first 'gig' in the Church Hall of St. Peter's Church, Woolton, and a certain Eleanor Rigby's grave is allegedly to be found in this church's graveyard!

Perhaps this bit of info. might help to find the place of Baptism? I hope it helps.

Regards.

Angela
            Last edited by Anglebar15; 01-09-15, 16:04.

Comment

Having looked at this, I see that the record reference ID is ITEM 5. From the catalogue film number, items 5 to 11 are: Items 5 - 11: Admission and withdrawal registers for Arnot Street Council School (Liverpool, Lancashire), 1884-1933
              Arnot Street Council School (Liverpool, Lancashire)
              for the Admissions - Girls, 1884-1890; Infants, 1885-1888, 1918-1922; Juniors, 1885-1892; Mixed, 1895-1905.

The item number refers to the position it can be found on the film.

This appears not to be a Baptism record. You can order the film from the catalogue page and view it at your nearest Family History Centre.

Comment

That perhaps explains it. The school admission records I have seen usually only list the father and date (or just year) of birth of the child. The mother is occasionally listed if the father has died or the child was illegitimate. Its a bit naughty to list it as a birth record!!
                Anne

Comment

Indeed, not what most of us would think of as a birth record. How difficult would it have been to put the source as Arnot St Council School Liverpool!

OC

Comment

how odd to put it there ? thanks everybody, and Angela who are the Beatles ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                      how odd to put it there ? thanks everybody, and Angela who are the Beatles ;)
                      But Angela never mentioned the Beatles.
                      People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                      Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

My mistake I was thinking of the song Eleanor Rigby I hated it still do, but then I also did not like the Beatles ,Rolling Stones more my thing.

Comment

Just read through this thread, though I can not comment on the baptism but I know both Arnot Street school which is in the district of Walton in Liverpool and a lot further away by several miles is Woolton so I don't know why both these records are linked, I have been to the church mentioned by Angela St Peter's and seen the grave of Eleanor Rigby while visiting the grave of another.

Edna

Comment

Walton/Woolton.

I suppose they sound similar. What a mess!

OC

Comment

Not sure how Val came by the baptism but there was a St Peters in the City Centre and I have found later baptisms there for Mathews home address Walton

Edna

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                              Last edited by clematised; 01-09-15, 23:04.

Comment

its on FMP Edna

Comment

OK I may be in the City later in the month if you still have the problem I can call into the RO for you

Edna

Comment

that's sweet of you but I am not sure its the right man yet , dont want to waste your time.

Comment

Working...
                                    X