WYLIE family of Glasgow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WYLIE family of Glasgow

Hi again. This is the second of the two families I am trying to trace.

I am searching for information regarding the family of Andrew WYLIE (1906 - 1945), originally from Cathcart, Glasgow. He was the son of another Andrew Wylie (1882 - 1954) and had siblings named Sam, Jack, Annie and May. The younger Andrew was a chemist and married Mary/Maidie Innes c1933; they had children named I, E and A -- one or more may still be alive. Some of the family may have emigrated to South Africa at some point, but this is unconfirmed. If you have any information about Andrew or his family please contact me as the other four branches of the family are now all in touch once again.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

(I didn't submit that information, but I'd be keen to find out who did)

Sorry James but I have had to edit out those names that you say may still be alive as our T&C's don't allow the posting of names of living/possibly living people.
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 21-08-15, 12:00.
    Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
    Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
    Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

No problem, Chrissie. I am now learning that this tends to be a rule on these kind of websites, which I wasn't aware of before. I am actually trying to trace living relatives, so it's unfortunate. :(

Also, an addendum: a relative of mine told me yesterday that he remembers a Jim Wylie, who was a doctor in Giffnock, Glasgow and was possibly the elder Andrew's brother. He'll be long dead now, as he was was roughly around Andrew's age.

That's another small piece of the puzzle, anyway. They lived at Giffnock, and sometimes used to pop up to Oban on small family holidays. This would be 1940s/50s.

Comment

What we always suggest with regard to living/possibly living people James is that members who would like to help can send you a Private Message (see notifications at the top of page). Then reference can be made here (without full names) to let everyone know what line has been followed to stop duplication.

For instance - yesterday I started to look at your Vincent Ormonde Eighteen but I didn't say so on the thread because I am quite busy at the moment and haven't got as far as finding living people yet (though I have found possible births up to 1960). It doesn't always mean that people aren't trying in the background.

Sending Private Messages, referred to as PM's, will become easier once you have made 10 posts. It's easily done either by a chat on General, posting on the surnames of interest, hobbies section etc etc
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Funnily enough, I actually spoke to one of Vincent's granddaughters on the phone about two or three days ago. I managed to track her down by putting some names and dates together on Ancestry, and then took the plunge by phoning her. Luckily she seemed thankful and we chatted for about twenty minutes and gave me an e-mail address so I could forward her some information.

I don't make a habit of that, of course, but her dad was my mum's first cousin and I thought she may be interested to learn a little more about the family, etc. He who dares, etc.

I'd really like to contact 'I' Wylie, although I don't hold out much hope and Google is not throwing up anything, which is especially strange given that it's a fairly uncommon name nowadays. Of the names listed in my first post, we recently found Sam Wylie's son (I won't name him, as he's still alive) after about fifty years, and so the remaining family (the children of Sam, Jack, Annie and May) are having a big reunion up in Scotland in the autumn. It would be fantastic if we could find one of Andrew's children, as surely at least one must still be alive.

Hopefully someone comes up with something.

I'll reply to the Vincent stuff in more detail in the other thread, so as not to go off-track here.

Thanks again, Chrissie.

Comment

@Chrissie

I don't think I can edit my posts, but I just wanted to add to the first post that I believe the family were from Cathcart, Glasgow rather than just Glasgow. Perhaps narrowing it down a bit may help.

Comment

Originally posted by James18 View Post
            @Chrissie

I don't think I can edit my posts, but I just wanted to add to the first post that I believe the family were from Cathcart, Glasgow rather than just Glasgow. Perhaps narrowing it down a bit may help.
            I've edited it for you James
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Well, I have since managed to find and download birth, marriage and death certificates for both Andrew and Samuel Wylie, and a marriage certificate for their father, but sadly haven't been able to find anything for Jack. He died in 1968 and my mother remembers visiting him in hospital in Edinburgh not long before he died, but for some reason I can't find anything.

Does anyone know if the old Royal Infirmary (Edinburgh) would have been in the George Square district of the city? It's since moved to another part of the city. There is an index for a John Wylie, age 58, who died in 1968 in George Square, so that could be him but I don't know, and there is no attached image.

The 'Maidie Innes' was Mary Geddie McKechnie Innes (b. c1909), and I've e-mailed someone who I believe may be able to help me on that front. I think I've managed to confirm at least one of the three cousins I am searching for, but sadly I can't be 100% and don't have any contact details. Still, baby steps.

I'm really happy with the progress I've made so far, even if it's cost more than I'd have liked to get there!
              Last edited by James18; 28-08-15, 22:25.

Comment

Working...
              X