No announcement yet.

Jewish connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My maternal aunt who was 17 years younger than my mother is now 86. She was born after both Harry and Maria (grandparents) had died obviously and remembers very few comments about Harry in particular. My grandmother had corrected her when she called him Henry and said no, he was Harris. The family lived in a nice house in Shirley and it appeared to be a stable and happy home. Apparently Maria loved living in Charleston South Carolina for that brief period and never mentioned any possibility of Harry having any other family. All very confusing.
    He mentioned that he had a sister Margaret and another Mary Jane.
    He called his first three daughters Ann, Margaret and Mary Jane. There was some mention of an Irish connection. He didn't like having his photograph taken so we only have one. He was apparently a nice man who adored my grandmother who was the last child. I apologise to him if he is not the particular individual I am scrutinising online!

Comment

I worked out the Whittingham name myself, lol, but that didn't get me anywhere with my theory that Maria married someone else first. Any possibility that they married in the US?

Sorry if you have already gone over this ground, trying to get a handle on them.

OC

Comment

I have carefully re read the whole of this thread and it really does seem very likely that your Harry Ryder was also Harris Lazarus.

Do you know when Harry went to the US? Shipping record? Harris Lazarus goes off the radar in the 1870s, Harry Ryder appears in the US in the 1870s.

OC

Comment

Exactly! The first time I read the post I was really just casually looking for any Ryders that may have been Jewish. I read the whole lot in a distracted way really, just enjoying the chase and marvelling at how helpful all the contributors were being by joining the initial pied piper "colliemag"". There was one comment near the end that made me sit up. The fact that no-one knew where or when he died and that he seemed to disappear.Then the pieces started to seem to fit, in a fashion.
          I guess what really needs to happen is for me to find one of the eldest sibling's line.(My grandmothers, that is). I have not been successful yet but have found a few people who have the Whittinghams in their tree though not in a direct line and also the eldest brother Charles but not far enough along the line. I figured that because Annie and Charles were born in 1875 and 1878 ish that they might have had better knowledge of the early years. My grandmother Jess was born in 1892.
          There is a slight overlap with Harry's two family births in 1875 but it would not be impossible and given the history of different fathers in both his mother's children and also Harriet's children, there could be a grey area of who the father was in the first place. I tried to find the births in the US with no luck. No marriage that I could find either in the US.
          It makes some theoretical sense that after being parolled following a long history of brushes with the law,Harris may have cooked his books with Harriet and in spite of trying to patch things up with having more children (if they were his at all), they called it quits and he wanted to start afresh.
          My family certainly have no idea of a previous marriage or other half siblings, or it was the best kept secret in the older generation which is not impossible. I dont believe so though. I certainly wouldn't want my aunt to be shown this story without proof. It may be completely wrong!
          I am frustrated that my account with Ancestry has closed today. I had a six month subscription which was a great help for gathering new information. I want to sort through my findings and then take it up again better armed. It has been frustrating in a way, that I have a full time preoccupation martialling two tiny grandchildren every day which disables full use of the programme. I then remind myself that we are the present generation for others to follow in the future and how lucky I am to watch them grow.
          Thank you, probably not so Olde Crone for lending a hand and Chrissy. I know how time consuming it is.Just having the interest has felt supportive. I shall post anything further that may come to light to this thread if it is still going. Reading through the forum stories is so absorbing-it is a wonderful site. I know that until I find the truth which may prove something different, this thread started by the wife of a George Harris Lazarus/Ryder descendant is one of the most important documents that I have. I have printed it out to keep. I shall continue looking on the forum all the same. I wish I had found the site earlier. My brother lives in Canada so it has not been possible to have a good look at anything. I have wondered if it is perhaps time to get in a professional to at least search for the missing records.
          Thank you so much, the support is appreciated after what has been a bit of a lonely journey!

Comment

Working...
          X