Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrissie

I'm confused too, lol.

Sorry, I was posting late at night and trying to remember what I found! The second entry for Letitia was a transcription error I think - 11a 1609 instead of 1509 and that is why there is no one else on the page.

So ignore my post above, it is a red herring.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      Chrissie

I'm confused too, lol.

Sorry, I was posting late at night and trying to remember what I found! The second entry for Letitia was a transcription error I think - 11a 1609 instead of 1509 and that is why there is no one else on the page.

So ignore my post above, it is a red herring.OC
      Fishy story ignored lol :D
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        Chrissie

I'm confused too, lol.

So ignore my post above, it is a red herring.

OC
        Could that be the Lettice we are seeking and it was her marriage that stopped her marrying Robert?
        Margaret

Comment

Margaret

That marriage was 1892 though - she ought to have married Robert long before that, lol! My gut feeling is that he was already married.

OC

Comment

Possible completely off track but in 1881 in the Chester County Lunatic asylum an inmate R H aged 49 ?? born Chester a Soap Boiler

RG11
            Piece number 3563
            Folio 104
            Page 7

Thing is you never know with family research anything can happen.
            Last edited by Guest; 22-07-15, 22:47.

Comment

ignore that I thought you said he was a Soap Boiler on all the childrens certs ??? but he was a dyer at the bleach works on one census, wonder if a Calico printers Labourer could be in the same class ? as on 1881 there is a Robert Hamilton born Ireland married with a wife Martha.

Comment

First of all I am awaiting a reply to my email to registrars at Carmarthenshire as to the marriage being recorded there. Secondly in response to "Val wish id never started", the term "soap boiler" is not restricted to the soap industry and the term also applies to dyeing and bleaching. The person doing the process was also called a soap boiler. Because it would have involved caustic soda it would have had an element of danger with the possibility of skin burns etc. There may have been irritating fumes as well. The conditions of work environment would have been nothing like they are today in the modern industry.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

David

Comment

Val

That's a good possibility you've found. I certainly have dyers who are calico printers so the two jobs could be done by the same person.

OC

Comment

But I think Val's find might be this one:

Robert Hamilton m Martha Ann Wood, Whiston St Nicholas (Prescot) in 1876
                    A child, James Hamilton, bp 3 Oct 1880, St Mary Virgin, Prescot, parents Robert Hamilton and Martha Ann.

He is a COLLIER, so I think this rules this couple out, or at least puts them at the bottom of the pile. Skilled cotton worker to collier and back again to skilled cotton worker is a bit too far I think.

OC

Comment

I did realise that David ,still think its a possibility ,funny as I cannot find him and Martha in 1891 ?
                      Last edited by Guest; 23-07-15, 12:21.

Comment

I tried to find Robert and Martha in the 1891 census but no luck at all. In the 1901 census Robert, Lettice and my grandfather William are in Denholme, Yorkshire and Robert is listed as a Machine Wool Comber. Still waiting for a reply from Carmarthenshire Registrars. My feeling is that if they were married it would have been in Llandeilo Fawr because her father lived there until his death in 1902. Other members of the family stayed in the area too.

Again thank you all for your efforts in helping me it is much appreciated.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Teachchem View Post
                          Thanks again for efforts OC, I have emailed the registrars in Carmarthenshire to see if they can help or give me a contact. I have done a bit of straw clutching and had about given up until I read Daddy of all Mysteries and realised what was possible.

David

Hi Teachchem

Welcome to FTF. No doubt you will recognise some of the usernames of the members who are helping you from my book. They're all real people & you could not be in more capable hands. I'll keep popping in when I get a chance.
                          Good luck in your search

Wal'
                          We should never forget them,
                          Because we would not be here today, but for them.
                          We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
                          Because we all have them…
                          Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

Hi Wallaby,

Thank you for kind comment. There were parts of your book that made me quite nostalgic coming from the Leeds. I remembered the typical north of England expressions etc.

Thanks again.

David

Comment

Hi Folks, an update as to where I am at. Last Friday I emailed the registrar in Carmarthenshire to find out if the marriage record is there, or to recommend another pathway but as of today I have had no reply.
                              In the mean time I have been checking everything I know about my Jacob ancestors to see if I have missed something.

Will post again when I get a reply or something else pops up.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

David

Comment

Found who I think is the same Robert and Martha in 1891 along with Martha Robert and Elizabeth Ann ,they are inmates cannot work out if its a workhouse they are now saying they were born in Salford Lancs and Robert is a Fireman (Boiler)
                                RG12
                                Piece number 3229
                                Folio 133
                                Page 24

Comment

thinking about it this cannot be them surely ? shall have another look

Comment

wonder if this could be Lettice in 1881Edinburgh Evening News 14 May 1881.jpg

Comment

Robert Hamilton Calico Printer ,born around 1845 Linlithgow, Linlithgowshire (West Lothian), Scotland
                                      wife Margaret Howie born around 1855 Helensburgh, Dunbartonshire, Scotland living in Dunbartonshire Scotland a maybe ??

Comment

Both of those look good Val and the second explains why he didn't marry Lettice.

(Poor Lettice, alone in the house with a corpse!)

OC

Comment

Thanks folks for your above posts. The Robert and Martha is not possible as Robert and Lettice are on the 1891 census at Leyland with their 3 children. The newspaper clipping is definitely possible because Lettice's mother died on 7 Dec 1855 when Lettice was only 4 or 5 years old. The circumstances may Have been such that it had a traumatic effect on her which made her terrified of corpses.

I am not sure about the Robert Hamilton in Scotland, it is possible but why would he say he was born in Ireland in 1891 and Roscommon Ireland in 1901. My memory of what my mother told me about him and she would have got this from her father or her father's sister, was that Robert's father went to Ireland from Scotland to be a sheep farmer but as Robert grew up he didn't want to be a sheep farmer so crossed over to England. However, thinking about it he may have been born in Scotland but went to Ireland when very young and hence always thought he was born there. That scenario would work if in fact he went back to Scotland and met Margaret Howie and was with her as his wife in 1881. Presumably their is a marriage record for that marriage and that is how you got the maiden name Val. If this is correct then Robert must have met Lettice between the census in 1881 and early 1885. This as you say OC would explain why he didn't marry Lettice and I assume no one would question that they were in fact married. Even their children wouldn't have known. Both my Great Grandparents were deceased when my Grandparents were married in 1914. So nothing would have been passed on.

How can we prove this? If I can find Robert's father's name (Robert's birth certificate?) it may be possible to establish if he was indeed a sheep farmer or even just a farmer in Roscommon, Ireland. To that end the Griffin's Index for Ireland may be useful. Are there any other avenues that I can pursue? Your comments as always are welcome and very much appreciated from this side of the world.

David

Comment

Working...
                                          X