Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little help needed from the experts

Hello
    i am currently creating my family tree and making excellent progress by myself through hours of searching documents and from some knowledge I have already. I seem to have hit a brick wall at the moment though and it's confusing the life out of me. I don't want to put anybody in my tree that shouldn't be there just because their the closest match. The person in question is my great grandads sister..Eva Hurst 1885 born in Derbyshire to her parents William and Sarah Hurst. I have found records and proof from another relatives family tree that she married a man called Thomas Brightmore 1849 also from Derbyshire. As I was trying to discover if they ever had any children, I uncovered from a relatives family tree that she had a son from this marriage called Tom. But she then remarried to a man called Frances Turner and had three children to that marriage. I cannot find any record of the son from the first marriage 'Tom' and I cannot find any record of her second marriage or the three children.
    Any help just to guide me in the right direction would be most appreciated !
    Thanks
    Kate

Eva married Tom in Q3 1913 in Bakewell reg dist and they had a son Thomas Q41914 in Glossop reg dist.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Eva Brightmore died 1964 Glossop aged 79, so it doesn't look as if she ever married Mr Turner (Francis, not Frances!)

OC

Comment

There's a death for Thomas Brightmore (born 1849) in 1930 in Bakewell reg dist.
        Do you think this is your man?

I can find no appropriate second marriage reference, so would concur with OC that it looks like she didn't marry Mr Turner.
        If you have the forenames of the alleged children of the relationship, can you find their birth regs on FreeBMD? If so, what surname (and mmn) are given?

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 08-07-15, 12:33.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thank you ! That has cleared it up slightly I now have records of the son Thomas marrying a lady called Francis Turner that's probably where she comes in. I spelt it frances as that's how it's coming up on all my records that's also very confusing.
          Yes that is the same Thomas Brightmore I have who died in 1930.

Comment

Frances for a girl also shortened to Fanny
            Francis for a boy also shortened to Frank
            Anne

Comment

Ahh that clears it up !
              Thank you everyone

Comment

Are you absolutely sure you have the right Thomas for her husband.? That chap in the death record was much older than Eva and there were other younger Thomas Brightmores around.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

FrancEs = hEr
                  FrancIs = hIm

(but of course that doesn't stop people transcribing it wrongly, or otherwise spelling it wrongly!)

OC

Comment

Have you seen the marriage cert? Only a guess of course but I would think a more likely scenario would be that Thomas died in Sept 1945 aged 70 in Glossop ref 7b 689. A birth would be Thomas Brightmore March 1875 Bakewell ref 7b 701. I think this is more likely to be him in 1911 too, as he is living in Great Longstone, the same as Eva.
                    Possible Thomas - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...off=&ml_rpos=3

Possible Eva - http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...l=ReturnRecord
                    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 08-07-15, 13:37.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I've just looked at the marriage record because I could of sworn it had Eva's parents names on it that's why it's on my tree but it hasn't �� so I'll try the one you found chrissie I thought he seemed a little old for her too.

Comment

I can't see the links because I'm not doing my tree via ancestry I'm using find my past instead if you could possibly find it on there ?
                        Thanks

Comment

Sorry Kate I haven't got Find my past. If it is the right one though he would have been a widower when he married Eva. The one I found was married in 1899 to Bertha (Prope/Propf) and they had two boys, Peat and George, before Bertha died in 1902.

On the marriage cert to Eva, what does he give as his fathers name and occupation?

p.s. For anyone on Ancestry I believe this may be them - http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/78...l=ReturnRecord
                          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 08-07-15, 14:14.

Comment

There are WW1 service records on FMP and Ancestry for Thomas Brightmore stone mason of Glossop b c1874/5 married Eva Hurst on 16th August 1913 at Parish Church Longstone. They had a son, Thomas, on 14th November 1913. He was 43 when he enlisted

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

Jackie

Comment

There isn't any parents names on the record I have I thought there was but I was wrong I've double checked and there's very little information to be honest. All that's on it is.. The year of the marriage 1913, obviously his name Thomas Brightmore, then the parish of St Giles in Great Longstone Derbyshire, then His spouses name Eva Hurst, and some reference numbers.

Comment

Possibly my dates are wrong as that is a very strong find from night owl. And the Thomas Brightmore I have is quite a bit older than Eva.

Comment

I wonder why he hasn't listed his other two children?

Comment

Perhaps because they had both left school and were not dependents?

Jay
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Of course, Peat would have been about 19 and George about 15. So you are right.

Comment

Originally posted by Katehurst15 View Post
                                        There isn't any parents names on the record I have I thought there was but I was wrong I've double checked and there's very little information to be honest. All that's on it is.. The year of the marriage 1913, obviously his name Thomas Brightmore, then the parish of St Giles in Great Longstone Derbyshire, then His spouses name Eva Hurst, and some reference numbers.
                                        The usual place you'll find father's name and occupation is the actual marriage certificate (from the local register office or the General Register Office - GRO), unless you can find a transcription of the church marriage register. Mother's name is only recorded in Scottish marriage records.
                                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                        X