X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonderful news enjoy the call when it comes

Edna

Comment

• Well, I've spoken to both my sister and brother, they won't allow me to call them half siblings which is wonderful and we are all very excited at being reunited.

they did actually know of my existence as Dad had told them before they went Canada!!

to solve the mystery of Leah Eden/Abcarius/Ermou she was thir Aunt -( Bellas sister) and was married several times! Even to a Jaffe, so the boy aged six travelling with them Was her son.

what threw us about the name Eden was that some of Bellas siblings used it as their surname as they didn't all feel Tenenbaum, just after the war was a good surname to have!

They went to Canada as theire were relatives already there and they thought they'd have better opportunities there instead of UK.
      Bella always hoped Dad would go back to them. She and my mother were best friends and worked in the British Consul together during the war in Cairo.!!

After Bella had the two children who were born within ten months she suggested Dad took my mother to accompany him to functions as she couldn't go as the children were too young!! There's nothing like throwing two people together. No wonder my mother never wanted to tell me anything!!

We are planning to get together as soon as possible, just a question of flies where and when. My sister lives near San Fransisco and my brother new Toronto so could make for an interesting reunion!

So that now looks like the end of my search, so thank you to all who helped me along the way. I hope that I can be of assistance to others in the future.
      Pookie

Comment

• What a wonderful result. Well done everyone!
        Anne

Comment

• Just catching up on this. What wonderful news, I'm very happy you have answers, and even happier that your brother and sister want contact with you. Let's hope you now have many meetings ahead of you x

Comment

• Oh we do like a happy ending! How wonderful too that your brother & sister have been able to give you such detailed background information and fill in all the gaps in your story.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

• That is fantastic news for you both for your sister and brother and also for your soon to be grandchild. I havent been any help to you but have read this thread with great interest and hope for you. Well done and may all your futures be happy ones.
              Angelina

Comment

• Wonderful news great you have completed the family circle and hopeful of a meeting

Edna

Comment

• I have been following this thread but haven't been able to contribute anything useful. I am made up for you; I love a happy ending.
                  Congratulations to everyone on here who has helped to make this possible.
                  Moggie

Comment

• Originally posted by Pookie View Post
                    Well, I've spoken to both my sister and brother, they won't allow me to call them half siblings which is wonderful and we are all very excited at being reunited.

they did actually know of my existence as Dad had told them before they went Canada!!

to solve the mystery of Leah Eden/Abcarius/Ermou she was thir Aunt -( Bellas sister) and was married several times! Even to a Jaffe, so the boy aged six travelling with them Was her son.

what threw us about the name Eden was that some of Bellas siblings used it as their surname as they didn't all feel Tenenbaum, just after the war was a good surname to have!

They went to Canada as theire were relatives already there and they thought they'd have better opportunities there instead of UK.
                    Bella always hoped Dad would go back to them. She and my mother were best friends and worked in the British Consul together during the war in Cairo.!!

After Bella had the two children who were born within ten months she suggested Dad took my mother to accompany him to functions as she couldn't go as the children were too young!! There's nothing like throwing two people together. No wonder my mother never wanted to tell me anything!!

We are planning to get together as soon as possible, just a question of flies where and when. My sister lives near San Fransisco and my brother new Toronto so could make for an interesting reunion!

So that now looks like the end of my search, so thank you to all who helped me along the way. I hope that I can be of assistance to others in the future.
                    Pookie
                    I am so pleased for you. What a marvellous result!
                    Margaret

Comment

• Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                      I have been following this thread but haven't been able to contribute anything useful. I am made up for you; I love a happy ending.
                      Congratulations to everyone on here who has helped to make this possible.
                      Moggie
                      Same here! Quite emotional when post 122 appeared.
                      Researching:
                      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

• Well I'm overwhelmed by your comments! Thank you so much for all the support. It has been amazing, I've already had three calls from my sister, the last of which was her talking about planning to come over what looks like any time soon!

once I entered all Bellas siblings into my Ancestry tree I had hints on several of them. It turns out someone else out there has entered them all including our father! Only downside is they've not logged on for 12 months so I can't even get in touch and find out where they fit it!

it turns out that, as I'd mentioned they used the name Eden, that was chosen after Anthony Eden - Prime Minister at the time!! Stick a needle in a hay stack and choose a name. What a tale.

I hope I'm able to help out with some research soon as I've had such support.

Pookie

Comment

Well I'm overwhelmed by your comments! Thank you so much for all the support. It has been amazing, I've already had three calls from my sister, the last of which was her talking about planning to come over what looks like any time soon!

once I entered all Bellas siblings into my Ancestry tree I had hints on several of them. It turns out someone else out there has entered them all including our father! Only downside is they've not logged on for 12 months so I can't even get in touch and find out where they fit it!

it turns out that, as I'd mentioned they used the name Eden, that was chosen after Anthony Eden - Prime Minister at the time!! Stick a needle in a hay stack and choose a name. What a tale.

I hope I'm able to help out with some research soon as I've had such support.

Pookie

Congratulations from me too, Pookie. (My spell-check keeps changing your name to Cookie lol!)

When these jigsaws start, it sometimes feels like all the pieces are blank on both sides, giving no clues of how they fit together. But when they're complete, it all makes sense & looks so easy, doesn't it!
                          I'm so pleased you've opened a box of chocolates & not a can of worms! There's not a garden gnome in sight & your siblings are as excited to meet you as you are to meet them - wonderful ending!

(Don't forget to promote my little book when you tell people) :Big Grin:

Wal' x
                          We should never forget them,
                          Because we would not be here today, but for them.
                          We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
                          Because we all have them…
                          Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

Well, I've spoken to both my sister and brother, they won't allow me to call them half siblings which is wonderful and we are all very excited at being reunited.

Pookie

It's sooooo exciting reading your plans here of - who flies where & when! I was lucky, my cousin S was only around the corner from me! Your brother & sister have only good feeling towards you & I think that's lovely. It means that your father has been open & honest, instead of hiding you away.

Keep us posted about your reunion!

Wal'
                            Last edited by Wallaby; 25-07-15, 09:33.
                            We should never forget them,
                            Because we would not be here today, but for them.
                            We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
                            Because we all have them…
                            Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

• Thanks for your kind words Wallaby - I think I shall be asking for commission soon as everyone I tell the tale too I tell them all about your book and what an inspiration it was to spur me on.
                              I'm a member of Lost Cousins and that is where I heard about it first, I think. Peter is wonderful at suggesting reading material based around genealogy research. Not sure I've learnt heaps about research but I've loved the stories!!

i do wonder if my father would have ever told me about them, as he died when I was 22 he might have thought it a bit too soon, I'll never know. I can certainly understand why my mother was so reticent to talk!! Who wants to admit they'd pinched their best friends husband left her with two children and then had one herself!! Even in 1951 that was frowned upon.

i am so pleased they want to get to know me and am sorting out lots of pics and details of our Dad for them. He was awarded the MBE during the war and hope they can enjoy hearing about his life even if they didn't share it.

i will definitely keep all posted about how things go.

I finally received 'Lea(h) Eden/Abcarius/ Ermou's marriage cert this morning - if I'd not found out about my sister & brother I still don't think I'd be any the wiset looking at it now!!

She was actually called Lisa- Eden was the changed name from Tenenbaum, the Abcarius was a marriage to a Judge in Egypt (so my sis tells me) and the marriage to Ermou well I'm not sure as it appears he remarried again a couple of months later?!?! She also married someone called Jaffe who was a tea planter in Kenya so quite a lady by all accounts!

on the cert her father is listed as Issy Eden (actually Israel Tenenbaum) and the witnesses are two of her brothers signed AlbertTenbaum and M. Eden. I would never have worked that one out would I so good job I found them!!

it was the suggestion of posting on Rootschat too by someone on this site that unlocked the key. If she were near I'd go and give her a big hug, sadly she lives in NZ! She said all she did was Google the name and in 15 mins she'd found the Obituary- it seems so easy!!!

anyway thanks again for all the support.

Pookie

Comment

• What a fantastic outcome, and in only a month!

Comment

Working...
                                X