Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pookie View Post
    No, I haven't done that yet!
    BUT I have had a reply from the ancestry notice board!

there is a P J listed in Quebec

also an M.J. G in Quebec

if there is anyone out there who knows how to gather more details regarding either of these people I'd love to hear from you.

Pookie
    You need to delete the names and addresses as we are not allowed to name living people on here

wow! that's great news. I think you just need to write to them as it is most unlikely you will get more information. Perhaps it will be best to wait to find out what the gravestone shows and also get whatever information you can from the Hebrew Sick Benefit Society that might link the addresses you now have with Leah - she is your only fixed point.
    Margaret
    Last edited by JudithM; 15-07-15, 07:03. Reason: removed name of living people and detailed addresses

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
      You need to delete the names and addresses as we are not allowed to name living people on here

wow! that's great news. I think you just need to write to them as it is most unlikely you will get more information. Perhaps it will be best to wait to find out what the gravestone shows and also get whatever information you can from the Hebrew Sick Benefit Society that might link the addresses you now have with Leah - she is your only fixed point.
      Margaret
      In my enthusiasm I forgot about living people's names etc, sorry for that.

I am looking after a poorly grandson at the moment so will have to wait for a while before I write to Hebrew Sick Benefit Society. Will try later when hopefully he has a sleep!

hopefully marriage cert will be there when I return home.

Talking with my family I think I will write/call P.J. To enquire about the others whereabouts rather than go direct in case its not the right M.J. G.

pookie

Comment

In my enthusiasm I forgot about living people's names etc, sorry for that.

I am looking after a poorly grandson at the moment so will have to wait for a while before I write to Hebrew Sick Benefit Society. Will try later when hopefully he has a sleep!

hopefully marriage cert will be there when I return home.

Talking with my family I think I will write/call P.J. To enquire about the others whereabouts rather than go direct in case its not the right M. J. G.

pookie
        Might be a good idea to wait to find out what the headstone says before approaching PJ - there might be something on that which will give you an introduction other than the Passenger List entry and the link to Leah.
        I am sure there will be more to find out about Leah and her family from the Jewish records in Montreal - I am hopeful that Naomiatt and Wallaby will be able to give some pointers on that.

Margaret
        Last edited by margaretmarch; 15-07-15, 08:38.

Comment

Might be a good idea to wait to find out what the headstone says before approaching PJ - there might be something on that which will give you an introduction other than the Passenger List entry and the link to Leah.
          I am sure there will be more to find out about Leah and her family from the Jewish records in Montreal - I am hopeful that Naomiatt and Wallaby will be able to give some pointers on that.

Margaret
          Yes, you're probably right to wait re headstone wording.

I was a little disappointed that the cemetery didn't respond with anything other than just that photo, no words or anything. I did reply to the person who sent me the picture and ask if there was anything more they could tell me, but not heard a thing! Wonder if it might be worth asking again wording the mail a little differently.

i hope that Wallaby and Naomiatt will have been able to glen what it says. I was also interested to see on the headstone it also said 'beloved mother and grandmother'? Who and where are they I wonder?

Will compose a letter to Sick Benefit Society and get that mailed too.

Pookie

Comment

Y........... I was also interested to see on the headstone it also said 'beloved mother and grandmother'? Who and where are they I wonder?............
            Pookie
            I read this to mean that the deceased (Leah wasn't it?) was the beloved mother and grandmother
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
              I read this to mean that the deceased (Leah wasn't it?) was the beloved mother and grandmother
              Yes, On Leah Eden Ermou's head stone that is what it says, but I'm pretty certain it doesn't mean she was mother or grandmother to my two half siblings as they only appear to have travelled to Canada with her in 1959. I and Margaret feel that there is a link to them somewhere, possibly as a friend/ relation to their mother Bella Guy (nee Temenbaum).

We we found that Leah travelled in 1938 from Egypt (then surname was Abcarius) with a Leon Abcarius, who could have been her son (b.1923) but now doesn't appear anywhere! So that could be the reference to her as 'a mother'. Can't find any reference to her as mother to anyone else in UK anyway.

i have now had a further communication from the Baron de Hirsch cemetery that they have no further information about Leah as records from that date (1967) are quite sketchy, sadly.

Pookie

Comment

Yes, On Leah Eden Ermou's head stone that is what it says, but I'm pretty certain it doesn't mean she was mother or grandmother to my two half siblings as they only appear to have travelled to Canada with her in 1959. I and Margaret feel that there is a link to them somewhere, possibly as a friend/ relation to their mother Bella Guy (nee Temenbaum).

We we found that Leah travelled in 1938 from Egypt (then surname was Abcarius) with a Leon Abcarius, who could have been her son (b.1923) but now doesn't appear anywhere! So that could be the reference to her as 'a mother'. Can't find any reference to her as mother to anyone else in UK anyway.

i have now had a further communication from the Baron de Hirsch cemetery that they have no further information about Leah as records from that date (1967) are quite sketchy, sadly.

Pookie
                Maybe the Synagogue will have something and I am hoping Wallaby and co can give us some leads in the regard.

Otherwise it's a google search and contact all we find to see who might help. There must also have been an obituary in the newspaper as that is a very common practice in Canada because of their privacy laws being so restrictive relating to official information.

Margaret

Comment

Hiya Pookie,

I'm crawling my way through this thread while cooking & I'm up to page 3. I'm gathering info to put a message on JewishGen & waiting for Hebrew translation of the gravestone that Margaret has sent to me.

When helping on another Canadian search for a person in Montreal, we got some free help from this 'Quebec' based street directory library called - Bibliotheque et Archives nationales du Quebec. I know your research is not in Quebec, but this website was very helpful & might be able to help or at least point you in the right direction if you contact them with the names & the area you're looking for. They actually searched records of residence of a street in Montreal from 1940 to 1990 & emailed results. So they do seem to cover all Canada. There's an English translation on their website, which is in French.

Be back later tonight after I've fed Columbo ;-)

Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec.

Wal'
                  We should never forget them,
                  Because we would not be here today, but for them.
                  We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
                  Because we all have them…
                  Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallaby View Post
                    Hiya Pookie,

I'm crawling my way through this thread while cooking & I'm up to page 3. I'm gathering info to put a message on JewishGen & waiting for Hebrew translation of the gravestone that Margaret has sent to me.

When helping on another Canadian search for a person in Montreal, we got some free help from this 'Quebec' based street directory library called - Bibliotheque et Archives nationales du Quebec. I know your research is not in Quebec, but this website was very helpful & might be able to help or at least point you in the right direction if you contact them with the names & the area you're looking for. They actually searched records of residence of a street in Montreal from 1940 to 1990 & emailed results. So they do seem to cover all Canada. There's an English translation on their website, which is in French.

Be back later tonight after I've fed Columbo ;-)

Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec.

Wal'
                    Hi Wallaby
                    thanks for helping out in this difficult situation. Have just got home from looking after a poorly grandson so will have more time to donate to this in the morning.

i will look at the website you mentioned and get in touch with them. I have tried looking at various Montreal based newspapers obituary sections but not found one that goes back to 1967 yet!

im interested to hear what the gravestone says and hope there is some useful info on it.

look forward to hearing from you soon

Pookie

p.s. Hope Columbo enjoyed his dinner!

Comment

I've already posted a reply to your post, but I just wanted to say that it was reading your book that made me join this forum.
                      I was overwhelmed by your family story and although mine is not the same you gave me belief that I might get some help where I have been stumped for a long time.

so I thank you for that

Pookie

Comment

Margaret

ive just tried to go to your link for Hebrew Sick relief Society and it comes up with 'bad gateway' so tried by other means and not able to get on to it at all.

Pookie

Comment

Margaret

ive just tried to go to your link for Hebrew Sick relief Society and it comes up with 'bad gateway' so tried by other means and not able to get on to it at all.

Pookie
                          Looking at that link again now it seems that the information was in the library archives so I am now thinking the Association has finished but I did find this email address for the library archives@jplmontreal.org

Might be worth a try to see if they can point you to somewhere that holds all the records- if they still exist.

Margaret

Comment

I've already posted a reply to your post, but I just wanted to say that it was reading your book that made me join this forum.
                            I was overwhelmed by your family story and although mine is not the same you gave me belief that I might get some help where I have been stumped for a long time.

so I thank you for that

Pookie

Hi Pookie,

I'm so pleased you enjoyed reading my book & I hope we can help.

I'm sorry I've not had much input so far, I've been preoccupied with assorts these last few weeks, plus we've had a big breakthrough with a triple adoption (3 brothers) on another thread on the Sensitive Research section of FTF - 'Adoption Isle of Man'

Naomiatt is not online at the moment as she's on her way to the UK or may even be here now. Meanwhile, I've uploaded an image of the gravestone to JewishGen but it's a bit long-winded. The website takes up to 72 hours to send me a confirmation email with a link to the image, so I have to wait for that. I can then post a message requesting translation of the Hebrew on the stone.

I checked the lists on JewishGen & there's a lot of people researching the name TENENBAUM, so I think you should join & post a message on that website too. Also, Rootschat is good for Canadian help. Use FTF as your main base, your virtual office, like I did in my book & use all these other websites as your means of spreading the word & getting information about the people you're searching.

I don't see myself as an expert on Jewish research, Margaret is being too kind, but I know a lot more than when I was as green a feckin' shamrock, as my nan used to say!

I've noticed a growing amount of people joining FTF after reading my book! I'm hoping it's since it became available as an eBook. I hope it's a good sign; I might be in for a pleasant surprise when I finally get my Amazon statement!

I'm sure you'll find the knowledge & kindness of the members of FTF was not exaggerated in my parents' story, Pookie. My thread is still there as evidence of that & a testimonial to all the members of FTF who helped. Margaret included!

Wal'

Comment

Hi Wal
                              im grateful for any input regarding tracing my half siblings and you are far to modest! I know you had plenty of help from this site but you sheer determination to get to the bottom of your Mums past was amazing and that's what really inspired me to join FTF in the first place!

Margaret has been amazing too and has kept me balanced and made me think hard about what I'm trying to achieve here. We've had a few private mails between us and they've been really helpful.

i am slightly concerned about where this enquiry is taking me! Of course I realised that my fathers wife was lightly to be Jewish being named Bella Tenenbaum, her father named Israel Tenenbaum. He was a Czech citizen living in Egypt. I don't know where Bella was born but it was in 1911 according to the marriage Cert.

Leah Eden/Abcarius/Ermou is (as far as I know) not related, but could have been! She would appear to be the only link I have along with P.J. to my half siblings as she travelled with them to Canada in 1959. I'm still waiting for Leah's marriage cert to a Thasos Ermou in 1952 and hope that will shed some further light into her background.

Im grateful to you for passing on the image of the grave stone for translation and will be very interested to hear what it says! My one quandary is that on it says 'Leah Eden' and gives her age as having been born in 1903. Details of her death on Ancestry gives her name as Leah Eden Ermou, so a little confusing?

The passenger details give her d of b as 2 Sept 1907 and she's called Lea Ermou - same person?

I put a message on the Montreal Board in Ancestry and had a reply with an address for a P.J. and someone who could be my half brother. M.J. Guy.no trace of E.S. Guy though, she could have married of course. Rather than getting in touch with them at the moment ( at Margaret's suggestion) to wait and see what other information comes in first.

what happened to Bella!!! Do you suggest then that I put her details ( those that I know ) on the JewishGen site and all of the others too?

Im willing to try everywhere!

Thanks again a in for your support and look forward to hearing from you again.

Pookie

Comment

I think putting Bella's details on JewishGen would be a good idea is is most likely deceased by now, maybe even soon after she came to UK as her children seem to have gone abroad with Leah without their mother.

What we are trying to do here is find other family members who can tell you what happened to Bella and possibly what the connection is to Leah - she may be related to Bella in some way. Every bit of information you can get will help you decided how to make contact with the people you have addresses for in Canada - I think going in 'blind' could mean failing to establish a dialogue whereas having some facts stands a better chance of success.

Putting information about Bella in an appropriate place could also lead to one of the people you are seeking actually seeing it and making contact with you!

Margaret

Comment

Hi Pookie,

I'm so pleased you enjoyed reading my book & I hope we can help.

I'm sorry I've not had much input so far, I've been preoccupied with assorts (all-sorts) these last few weeks, plus we've had a big breakthrough with a triple adoption (3 brothers) on another thread on the Sensitive Research section of FTF - 'Adoption Isle of Man'

Naomiatt is not online at the moment as she's on her way to the UK or may even be here now. Meanwhile, I've uploaded an image of the gravestone to JewishGen but it's a bit long-winded. The website takes up to 72 hours to send me a confirmation email with a link to the image, so I have to wait for that. I can then post a message requesting translation of the Hebrew on the stone.

I checked the lists on JewishGen & there's a lot of people researching the name TENENBAUM, so I think you should join & post a message on that website too. Also, Rootschat is good for Canadian help. Use FTF as your main base, your virtual office, like I did in my book & use all these other websites as your means of spreading the word & getting information about the people you're searching.

I don't see myself as an expert on Jewish research, Margaret is being too kind, but I know a lot more than when I was as green a feckin' shamrock, as my nan used to say!

I've noticed a growing amount of people joining FTF after reading my book! I'm hoping it's since it became available as an eBook. I hope it's a good sign; I might be in for a pleasant surprise when I finally get my Amazon statement!

I'm sure you'll find the knowledge & kindness of the members of FTF was not exaggerated in my parents' story, Pookie. My thread is still there as evidence of that & a testimonial (testimony) to all the members of FTF who helped. Margaret included!

Wal'

I just noticed two errors in my post above & it's too late to edit them. So I've highlighted them above in bold.

Thanks for your praise, Pookie. Margaret put so much time into my search & is mentioned in my book, as are many other members of this website & other websites too. They are amazing researchers & I'm still nowhere as fast & still feel like a novice compared.

Wal'

Comment

I think putting Bella's details on JewishGen would be a good idea is is most likely deceased by now, maybe even soon after she came to UK as her children seem to have gone abroad with Leah without their mother.

What we are trying to do here is find other family members who can tell you what happened to Bella and possibly what the connection is to Leah - she may be related to Bella in some way. Every bit of information you can get will help you decided how to make contact with the people you have addresses for in Canada - I think going in 'blind' could mean failing to establish a dialogue whereas having some facts stands a better chance of success.

Putting information about Bella in an appropriate place could also lead to one of the people you are seeking actually seeing it and making contact with you!

Margaret
                                    Yes, agree, Margaret.

Pookie, you could draft the message you want to put on JewishGen etc & put it on your thread if you want some feedback in the wording, because the wording is important. A relative, even a half sibling, might read it!

Wal'
                                    Last edited by Wallaby; 19-07-15, 12:30. Reason: To add info

Comment

Yes, agree, Margaret.

Pookie, you could draft the message you want to put on JewishGen etc & put it on your thread if you want some feedback in the wording, because the wording is important. A relative, even a half sibling, might read it!

Wal'
                                      I have now joined Rootschat and JewishGen. I've posted a message on the former just basically listing details of what we already know about the movements of my half siblings,P.J. And Lea(h) Eden/Abcarius/Ermou.
                                      i have also given brief details of Bella's marriage and d of b. If you want to have a look to see what I've written its under the Canada listing with the same title as this thread- your comments would be appreciated. I couldn't see anywhere to edit it though?

with regard to Bella and JewishGen - firstly I'm not sure where to actually post messages! It seems a complicated site - secondly where to actually start and what to say?

Pookie

Comment

Ok, I'll have a look tomorrow, just on my way out so flying visit.

For Bella's first message on JewishGen, I'd just say something like. . .

Is anyone researching the name TENENBAUM. I have a Bella TENENBAUM in my tree, born 1911. Father's name Israel TENENBAUM.

Say nothing more & see what response you get. Meanwhile, send a Pm to all the people on JewishGen who are researching TENENBAUM.

JewishGen is complicated, so take your time to learn the website. I'll give you more tips when I get home tomorrow night.

Wal'

Comment

• Thanks for your help, will wait to hear from you as don't know how to post message on JewishGen! Not easy to work out.

am off early in the am to look after poorly grandson but my iPad is glued to me so will always be able to respond!!

look forward to heRing from you - checked Rootschat had plenty of people look at my message so far no response!

Pookie

Comment

Working...
                                          X