No announcement yet.

Irish Catholic Marriage Registers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

William Keegan with the Dublin death of 1895 was buried at Glasnevin cemetery, Dublin. Credits needed for that site but will re-check another where volunteers have recorded.

Keegan William Dublin 1895 aged 37

Vera
    Last edited by vera2013; 28-06-15, 18:00.

Comment

If he was a policeman before approximately1874 then he might well have been a member of the Irish Constabulary but if after 1874 then he was most probably a member of the Royal Irish Constabulary, and would therefore be a British policeman until 1920 after which he would be a member of the Irish Garde.

IC and RIC records are at Kew but not online, as far as I know, so you would need someone to do a search. There is a book at Kew giving you all members of this force, but it is also available for purchase on Amazon. The book is by Jim Herlihy, giving you all the members of The IC and RIC which can then lead you to the actual records at Kew. This is how I found my IC member.

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 28-06-15, 18:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
        If he was a policeman before approximately1874 then he might well have been a member of the Irish Constabulary but if after 1874 then he was most probably a member of the Royal Irish Constabulary, and would therefore be a British policeman until 1920 after which he would be a member of the Irish Garde.

IC and RIC records are at Kew but not online, as far as I know, so you would need someone to do a search. There is a book at Kew giving you all members of this force, but it is also available for purchase on Amazon. The book is by Jim Herlihy, giving you all the members of The IC and RIC which can then lead you to the actual records at Kew. This is how I found my IC member.

Janet
        The PSNI museum in Belfast has copies of RIC service records from 1816 to 1921 covering all counties in Ireland. They will do look ups and send you copies, for a £25 fee:

Many RIC police officers did join the Royal Ulster Constabulary or what were known as the Civic Guards (later, An Garda Siochana - the Gardai) in 1922 but it wasn’t automatic. Everyone in the RIC was stood down on 31.8.1922 and those wanting to join either of the 2 new forces then had to apply.
        Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Thanks Vera I bought some credits and downloaded that burial its definitely him, he joined in 1878 Janet thanks for that info, and Elwyn as my aunt is so desperate to find out about the family she will probably pay for the records so thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X