The "happy" couple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "happy" couple

I have this modern copy of an old photo - and so does my cousin, who I saw earlier this week - so chances are high that they are in my family somewhere/somehow. Personally, I have no idea who they are, but I was hoping that the clothing/hairstyles might help someone who knows about such things to narrow down the date. And an estimate of the age of the pair might help too.

All possible ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    STG[IMG][/IMG]
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

I recently used the services of a professional to get a modern digital copy of a very old photo dated, where no known original existed. She is Jayne Shrimpton, a former curator at the National Portrait Gallery, and her basic service only costs £7 (or£5.95 if you have an annual FMP sub and quote the Findmypast First code). She gave me a 5-year window for my photo based on what the subject was wearing and I though it was excellent value for money. Her website is http://www.jayneshrimpton.co.uk/ if you're interested.
    Last edited by Rick; 27-06-15, 19:54.
    Rick

Comment

I wonder if they are siblings? To me, they look quite similar around the eyes and mouth. Does she have a wedding ring?
      Old pics are fascinating. Look at her hands - looks like she had to work hard. As in so many old photos of my family, they have beautiful clothes for "Sunday best" but they would have been in rough work clothes for the rest of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        I recently used the services of a professional to get a modern digital copy of a very old photo dated, where no known original existed. She is Jayne Shrimpton, a former curator at the National Portrait Gallery, and her basic service only costs £7 (or£5.95 if you have an annual FMP sub and quote the Findmypast First code). She gave me a 5-year window for my photo based on what the subject was wearing and I though it was excellent value for money. Her website is http://www.jayneshrimpton.co.uk/ if you're interested.
        Thanks for the link, Rick. I've emailed her for a quote. Will let you know the outcome

STG

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
          Thanks for the link, Rick. I've emailed her for a quote. Will let you know the outcome

STG
          Please do. I hope she is as successful in solving your mystery as she was in solving mine. I'll bump my other thread up with the result of mine as it makes interesting reading and you'll get a feel for what the basic service gives you.
          Rick

Comment

The trouble with my ancestors was that they had beautiful clothes for Sunday Best - and they wore them for 50 years. I have a photo of my great great aunt taken in 1972, wearing a coat she bought in the 1920s.

OC

Comment

Thanks Rick-I've also emailed her and passed her website info to my local genealogy group here in Cyprus!

Comment

OC some of my clothes are almost that old , I find it hard to part with some of my favourites.
                That's an interesting link Rick sounds reasonable to me.

Comment

Update :

Expert opinion says photo taken c1900-1912. "... always more difficult [to date] when the subjects are elderly as they can be very conservatively dressed in a manner that bears little relation to high fashion ... lady wears a 'timeless' black two-piece ... brooch is of at least the 1890s and round neckline should imply an Edwardian date ... man's laced boots ... most typical of the early 1900s ... his suit could be that era too ... beard the early style older males favoured for decades, even until the 1920s."

Now if only their names would come to me in a dream ....

STG

Comment

Very interesting bit of detective work which makes a lot of sense. Especially the bit about older folks wearing clothes that were in fashion years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post

Now if only their names would come to me in a dream ....

STG
                      Well, not exactly a dream but, a dream result.

Another of mum's sisters always wrote on the back of photos, so I've been I touch with one of her children who confirm that the peeps in the photo are our maternal g.g.grandparents (1831-1920 and 1830-1907).

Now, how fab is that?

STG

Comment

What a fantastic result !! I'm really pleased Jayne was able to help and you got confirmation from your cousin
                        Rick

Comment

Working...
                        X