Help re Dempster please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help re Dempster please

Thanks for helping. Would you like to me with my ever elusive William Herbert Dempster, I have his tree on Ancestry, but two of my newly found cousins insist they were told by their mum's that their dad was born in Edinburgh, I cannot find him being born there,? I have who I think is him born In Liverpool, so I traced his tree back to 1841. Still have doubts if this is the right one, he signed on in Seaforth to the Manchester Reg, which places him near to where he was born, cousin now says he could have run away to there from who knows where,? I have his Birth/Marriage and Death Certs. He was invalided out and sent to I think Percy House Military Hospital in Isleworth in 1918 where he met my nan.

I hope you can follow this ok.

Thankyou if you are able to help.

Jean.

you dont say when he was born ? were the parents of the one you followed Herbert and Elizabeth Annie

Comment

Hi val, yes that's right, I have him born 1898. Elizabeth took the name Dempster as I believe she was still married to Samual Anderson, I cannot find a marriage for these too, after Herbert died she married William Wallace. I tried looking on the Scottish Births in Edinburgh but with no luck.

Comment

are you saying you aren't sure you have the right Birth cert ?? what does it say for his fathers name and occupation ?

There is a marriage for a Samuel Anderson to an Ann Elizabeth Taylor or Ann Elizabeth Harrison 1878 in Wakefield not knowing when Elizabeth was born could that be it

Comment

I see that on his marriage cert it just gives his name as William. Can you tell me how you found out that it was William Herbert please? He states his father was William (a gardener) too
          Also, his age at marriage would have put his birth nearer 1894/5 wouldn't it?
          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 23-06-15, 21:43.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

ignore that marriage just seen Elizabeth was born in 1872, I saw that too Chrissie and wondered if it is the right man

Comment

have you found him in 1901 and 1911 ??

Comment

Yes, in 1901 its spelt Densten, In 1911 he is with Elizabeth, his brothers and new father William Wallace. I visited Manchester a few years back and visited the Army Museum and the bloke said when William Herbert got married he was asked his fathers name and he said William, and the registrar added Dempster, On the birth cert I have it says William Bertie, (could be short for Herbert) his father called Herbert my dad called Bertie William. To much a coincidence do you think.? He died 1944 aged 46. On 1911 census he is the Stepson of William Wallace. Just noticed on 1901 census his name is Herbert, what happened to the William part. I have assumed this to be him.

Comment

Sorry, doing something wrong with the editing, its showing three times now.

I have removed the first two Jean to save confusion. You need to click on edit post but you only have ten minutes to do it.
                  Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 24-06-15, 11:03.

Comment

lol thought I was extra tired when I saw this

quite a few people used their middle names on records so I wouldn't worry about that, its just that I think he was born in 1894 not 1898 unless your convinced thats him ?
                    I am off to look at 1901 as I could not find him earlier.

What actual record are you positive its him ?

Comment

I see the Father is Herbert described as born in Scotland on the 1901 if its him ? yet on 1891 says born Warwickshire Birmingham ??? screaaaaaaaaaam
                      Off to bed back tomorrow if nobody has solved it

Comment

I keep having a look at it too Val but I think it might take a little longer than just overnight to solve it :D
                        So many contradictions that it needs looking at working backwards and sideways I think.

p.s. I've just had a thought Jean. Would you like me to split this query into a new thread as it's a totally different query. In case people are thinking it's been solved?
                        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 24-06-15, 11:07.
                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Ok Chrissie, good idea. This man is driving me crazy,lol, Im sure I have the right person but cousins are adament about the Edinburgh birth, I only found these cousins in 2007. Actually one of them found me on here looking for William Herbert.

Comment

I dont give up easily ,maybe they got confused with his father being born in Scotland ?? if thats him.

Comment

Hi val, thats another confusion isnt it, I have Herbert being born in Warwickshire and his father Adam Dempster born in Scotland.

Comment

hi not been slacking having trouble getting on here

Now I found the baptism for Herbert Dempster born 1873 Liverpool Lancs Father Adam which is the one you have in 1891 where he is a Gardener so not born in Scotland if he is the right one

Comment

the 1901 Herbert Dempster says Labourer born 1872 Scotland wife Eliza ???born 1866 Kirkdale Lancashire,do you think maybe its the wrong family ???

Comment

Hi val, for some reason I thought it was the same family as on the 1911 census. Maybe I havnt got the right family after all. Its the possible Edinburgh birth for William Herbert that throwing me.

Comment

well if he says his father was a Gardener then thats him in 1891 probably, maybe his son thought his name was William?

Will see what I can find

Comment

wonder if this is the marriage for Samuel Anderson in Dec 1892 Liverpool Lancs 8B 54 to a Annie Elizabeth Parker

Comment

Working...
                                        X