Windows 10 free upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 free upgrade?

Little icon appeared on my taskbar this morning - message from MS saying I can reserve a free upgrade to windows 10. Is it that easy though, I mean will everything on my puter be saved, just moved over to the windows 10 or do you have to reinstall everything? It is just saying reserve and its free and then goes on about improvements nothing about any huge performance to install it?

ummmmmmm I would be very suspicious, but then thats me

Comment

No, it is a genuine windows site Val. Ive got windows 7 on this and the icon is like the four square icon they have.

Comment

You read that right: Current Windows users will be able to snag Windows 10 for the low, low price of absolutely nothing.

Comment

I have just seen that on my laptop.White icon,click on it and you get the offer. Will wait and see what advice is given here.
          Fran

Comment

Yep, Im scouring the net at moment to see advice on it. I mean, if it just seamlessly goes on my pc, no fiddling about, no need to put everything on a stick etc. and reinstall programs, thats fine.

Comment

It's legit. Microsoft made the final announcement about the dates this morning:

Microsoft just announced that Windows 10 will be out late next month.

and

Find out how to get Windows 11 from Microsoft. Check your PC’s compatibility against the system requirements to see if you can upgrade to Windows 11.
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Cant find any info on whether you just install it over win 7 and thats it. Dont want to have to take everything off and put it all back again.

Comment

There was an article in Computeractive about it suggesting that you had around 12 months with the offer open. I think I'll hold fire until I see what the feedback is from others. Never the type to get the latest gadget, me!!!

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                    Cant find any info on whether you just install it over win 7 and thats it. Dont want to have to take everything off and put it all back again.
                    Judging by the instructions/steps it will be a big download and will install like a normal update or you can choose when to install it. If you have clicked on Reserve that is.
                    Caroline
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I'm suspicious of this offer , as MS has not confirmed , that I can find, if this version of windows is going to be a subscription model and if after the first year you will need to pay an annual subscription, like office 365
                      The offer is also open to pirate copies and from what i can read will allow pirate copies to upgrade - hence my suspicion, that after the first year , then they would have to pay.

Comment

It's free or a year apparantly

Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

According to Wendy's link, it is free during the first year for W7 and W8.1 users and then "Microsoft's chief blogger Brandon LeBlanc also confirmed that Microsoft will support those who scored a free upgrade to Windows 10 with security and system updates for the lifetime of those Windows devices".

I have seen this said in many places over the past few months too. Nowhere have I seen a subscription mentioned officially - although that model works with Office and Creative Cloud as I already have, I am not so sure that doing that for the actual OS would be a very good move!! :D
                          Caroline

Comment

I still think its unclear ,
                            Its free to upgrade for a year - BUT is that upgrade free for life of the device
                            The wording is pretty poor , as there is talk of a subscription model and that Windows 10 is the last version to be released .. and so future upgrades would cost

Myerson announced in January that Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7 and 8.1 users for its first year.Microsoft's chief blogger Brandon LeBlanc also confirmed that Microsoft will support those who scored a free upgrade to Windows 10 with security and system updates for the lifetime of those Windows devices.
                            In May, Microsoft confirmed that the two versions of Windows 10, Home and Pro will be free for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users that possess a genuine, valid licence.

Comment

maybe i have found it now

Comment

Having read a few reviews of pre-release copies of Windows 10, I am going to wait. Reports are that it is very slow, and takes up far more hard drive space than 7 or 8. This could be a problem if you have a small solid state hard drive for your operating system and a regular hard drive for your data.

As for Windows moving to a subscription model, I have heard many rumours, but I seriously doubt if MS are even thinking about it. It would mean that a new computer would only work after a year if you paid some more money. Imagine buying a washing machine that stopped working after a year unless you stumped up some more cash; consumer laws would never allow it.

The reason for making Windows 10 a free upgrade for a year is to encourage end users, especially businesses, to upgrade sooner rather than later. MS don't want to end up with the XP situation, where businesses couldn't justify the expense of buying an upgrade when their computers worked perfectly well. XP went end of life last year, but should have gone a few years ago. Even now there are many large corporations, the NHS included, who have got an extension on support for XP until next month. I suspect that Vista will go end of life early next year; 7 won't be far behind.

I can't find out if you can install 10 and still keep the option of going back to 7 or 8; I suspect you won't be able to. However your installed applications should all remain in place when you upgrade, unlike the upgrade from XP to 7 which had to be a completely clean install.
                                Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                                Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                                Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                                Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                                Devine in Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post
                                  Having read a few reviews of pre-release copies of Windows 10, I am going to wait. Reports are that it is very slow, and takes up far more hard drive space than 7 or 8. This could be a problem if you have a small solid state hard drive for your operating system and a regular hard drive for your data.

As for Windows moving to a subscription model, I have heard many rumours, but I seriously doubt if MS are even thinking about it. It would mean that a new computer would only work after a year if you paid some more money. Imagine buying a washing machine that stopped working after a year unless you stumped up some more cash; consumer laws would never allow it.

The reason for making Windows 10 a free upgrade for a year is to encourage end users, especially businesses, to upgrade sooner rather than later. MS don't want to end up with the XP situation, where businesses couldn't justify the expense of buying an upgrade when their computers worked perfectly well. XP went end of life last year, but should have gone a few years ago. Even now there are many large corporations, the NHS included, who have got an extension on support for XP until next month. I suspect that Vista will go end of life early next year; 7 won't be far behind.

I can't find out if you can install 10 and still keep the option of going back to 7 or 8; I suspect you won't be able to. However your installed applications should all remain in place when you upgrade, unlike the upgrade from XP to 7 which had to be a completely clean install.
                                  Microsoft publish software lifecycles when they release new versions. End of life for operating systems is always 5 years after the end of mainstream support. Vista is end of life in April 2017. Mainstream support for Win 7 was January this year and end of life is January 2020.

The Win 10 technical preview has a downgrade option back to the previous version, so there's every chance the released version will. We'll find out for sure next month.
                                  Rick

Comment

If you install it within 12 months of the release date, it's free and all future updates are free (as they are now). If you wait till after the 12 months, you'll have to buy the software but updates as before, are free. The offer is like for like, ie. if you have a premium or pro version now, then that's the version of Windows 10 that you'll get.

I have seen it said that you can opt to upgrade your version on installation by paying the difference but I haven't verified that.

Comment

Today they are starting to roll it out .. so we will gradually be able to see what's what!!

Windows has started rolling out Windows 10 to customers around the world, but not everyone who has pre-registered will get the upgrade today
                                      Caroline

Comment

A look at what's new in Microsoft's latest operating system - and why it might be the "last" big release of its kind.
                                        Caroline

Comment

Working...
                                        X