Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mormon Centres - Research Facilities - how does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rick View Post
    I'm concerned I may have turned into the invisible man

Can anyone actually see my replies ?
    I can see you.

Wave. Wave. Hello

STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
      I can see you.

Wave. Wave. Hello

STG
      Thank goodness for that !! Waves back

Now to see if I can attract Sue's attention - there's a private message coming your way Sue.

That's assuming I can work out how to send the image via PM !!
      Last edited by Rick; 19-05-15, 19:06.
      Rick

Comment

Rick, Again many thanks for what you sent me. With the Welsh patronymic?? naming system I am hopefully thinking that James Mills s/o Rowland Mills and Sinah is James Mills Rowland. I may be being overly optimistic here but after 8 years anything is worth a go.
        Because he is known to have been in the Army (and I have a handwritten document detailing his service) I had hoped to get more info from Army documents but have visited Lincoln Archives and TNA and really haven't found anything convincing.
        He is anecdotally supposed to have been born in Wales. He joined the 83rd regiment of foot in 1783ish in Newtown, Montgomeryshire. The 83rd Regiment was abolished - he is "suspected" of joining the Loyal Lincolnshire Volunteers. He fought in the Napoleonic Wars with this Regiment (it is thought according to document.) with the 81st foot - the 81st was a re-raising of the 83rd foot in fact and it is said in the document that he fought in the Napoleonic Wars with the 83rd!!!(didn't exist then) He fought in Lord Hill's Column it is said.
        Have been in contact with a Military Museum (Lancashire) which has some records - on contact they told me they had very little - most of what they had was Napoleonic War information BUT it is £20 an hour to search plus a hotel bill of course or they will search for £20 an hour on my behalf. I think, but am not sure, that there is a reference that is relevant on FMP to James Rowland (plus another Rowland) - I have not seen it since FMP defies logic to negotiate as far as I am concerned. If I remember correctly I was told there was a reference to the South Wales Borderers and the Loyal Lincolnshire Regiment.
        First sightings of him are in April 1795 when he married his wife Elizabeth Joceylin (Joslin/Joslyn) at St. Peter's Church, Bishops Stortford, Herts. In 1797 he is in Stamford, Lincolnshire and his first child, Robert Joslin Rowland is being baptised at All Saints Stamford. Eventually he lived in Great Baddow (from about 1801), Essex but meanwhile was fighting in the Napoleonic Wars. He was a Tailor and a Master Tailor with the Regiment which makes him HQ staff. All very odd - he should be findable in the Military Directory if it was published at that time but I have never found one that old! What is intriguing is that his wife was having children at very regular intervals during the Napoleonic War! He was severely injured in the hip at Salamanca apparently. All dates for him (except 1841 census which is the only census he is on) are approximate. He died in Great Baddow, Essex in 1846.
        One of the main reasons I suspect the name Mills may be involved is because his youngest son gave HIS children the middle name Miller - OK it is a very thin straw to grasp but I thought he may have got it wrong and meant Mills?? Shows how desperate I am.

Rowland family military - Page 1

Sue
        Last edited by Sue1; 20-05-15, 14:08. Reason: a

Comment

This is what I wanted to add but couldn't work out how:
          Rowlandlog.pdf

Comment

I am so sorry Rick - I wasn't ignoring you - please put it down to age!

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post

I am so sorry Rick - I wasn't ignoring you - please put it down to age!

Sue
              No worries Sue - I'm used to it

The entry on the IGI/Familysearch is a transcription made by the LDS from a film of the Garthbeibio Bishop's Transcripts made in 1949. The digital images on FMP look like those same BTs to me as they are all written in the same handwriting - far too standard to be the original register. That suggests to me that the LDS microfilm is just going to be a poorer quality copy of the same entry. The introduction of Rowland into the name seems to me to just be a transcription error.
              Rick

Comment

Thanks Rick ...........destined not to find this man I suspect. Many people on ancestry are searching for him and there are various theories but none proved! Sue

Comment

I have used my local one - only stopped when the library offered an internet connection to Ancestry - and the staff were very helpful.
                  Yes the hours were limited (volunteers, remember), and yes you had to book a microfilm reader and a computer.
                  Always ring them first.
                  I have also used one near Falls Church, Virginia (west of Washington DC), that had a large amount of Irish material. And yes, I planned the trip so that I would have the time spare before catching the plane home.
                  I just walked in and asked for help. About four or five people got up to show me where things were kept.
                  Geoff

Comment

Back in the 70's to the 90's when I started researching FH, I used the local LDS libraries quite a lot as, in those days they were the prime source (in Australia) of genealogical information. Otherwise it was a case of writing to a researcher stating your requirements. At the always very helpful centres one put in an order for a micro Fische, waited for generally some weeks, and I think you had a month to get your info from the material ordered. All for free and always with genial service.

However with the upsurge of the Internet and the LDS running their own sites - family search etc, I thought the microfiche service would have become redundant by now. Is this the case or not?
                    Last edited by grumpy; 21-05-15, 12:28.
                    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Beware of early transcriptions. these were very often unsolicited submissions to the LDS and were not subject to any kind of quality control at all. I have see one which tells a blatant lie about a member of my family in order to cover up an illegitimacy. The submitter must have had a personal interest in this family.

The original parish register told the truth.

OC

Comment

Thanks all. Over the years I have heard a lot of good things about the LDS facilities - I have also heard that accuracy can be a problem - probably with the submitted information as OC says.

Certainly someone who lives in USA and goes to Salt Lake City to look up things for a research group she runs/is involved with, has offered to look up James Rowland for me over there when she goes next summer.
                        This chap, James Rowland may well have some military record - have searched at TNA in Muster Rolls and ?pay books to no definite avail but I am going to have a determined go on FMP because it is the most likely place where those sort of records may be other than TNA.

I am determined to find him! No one in my Tree has been as stubborn as this chap and in fact, the Rowland's generally. James is my GGG Grandfather. Sue

Comment

Grumpy

You can still use/see microfiche at LDS centres but I think most researchers would now really rather see films of the original records. These were not always available in the 70s and 80s.

I have to say.....I hate microfiche with all my being! Up, down sideways, where am I? Very often people stole them and all the Hs would be gone, a wasted journey. In the 70s though, it was the only way I could get to look at BMD indexes as they were not available anywhere near where I lived.

Incidentally, my county library got rid of its microfiche readers a decade ago, so it really is a dwindling medium. Whoever would have thought it?!

OC

Comment

Just like OCH says, a lot of the old LDS records could not be trusted.
                            I wasted a lot of time trying to verify a family marriage back in the later 1700s, and this was submitted by some five people (from memory).
                            One had things correct, and when I got to the bottom of the whole thing, it was a case of of two people called Henry Hone, each marrying a girl called Mary, in the same part of NW Surrey.
                            it got a little out of hand when the "iffy" records showed several children born after the husband died.
                            I should add that the two Henrys were in fact cousins.
                            The Family History Centre staff said that they knew a lot of the records were wrong, but could not be changed as they were official publications of the church. This was the motivation for the Vital Records CDs which are verified but far from complete, but can be seen as a step toward the current online database ( and what a pain that is to use).
                            Of course, the microfiche and microfilms are accurate.
                            Unlike OCH, my local county records office retained its microfiche readers (you may take 4 fiche out of a drawer at a time) which helps with stuff later than Free BMD.
                            Geoff

Comment

I can order LDS films online, and they are delivered to my local library , Vancouver Public Library.

Do you have something like this in the UK?

Bcbrit
                              George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

OC - I agree with you about microfiche readers - I would defy anyone to read them sideways with variofocals!
                                Disorientating is the only word I can think of.

bcbrit - LDS films can be delivered to a local LDS Centre in UK - if you mean "ordinary" libraries, I am not sure about that - have never heard of that here.

Back to the drawing board for me I think!

Comment

OC - I also remember trying to focus the fische when the controls were a bit over used - hopeless. Cannot ever the LDS centres here having film readers, they may have

but never used one until I started to enter on computer, shipping arrivals from the early 1900s. These readers were at the Aust National Archives and copied onto A3 sheets the

original registers. Quite a time consuming job.
                                  Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Hi Sue - Have you tried the National Library of Wales https://www.llgc.org.uk - they have wills going back to the 1500s and newspapers to the early 1800s which might be another place to look. I have a gentleman in my tree who sounds very like yours in that he just appears in the 1901 census but doesn't appear to have been born anywhere and certainly not in Australia where the census says he was!
                                    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Working...
                                    X