1 person=2 votes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 person=2 votes?

a very close family member once told me he had 2 votes - one where he lived in one county and another where he had an office in another county/city.

does any one know when the business vote was stopped please? I have had a root about on internet but its not clear at all. he would have had the office from about 1920 onwards until about 1950s i think.
    Angelina

Angelina

It wouldn't have been two PARLIAMENTARY votes, the business vote would be for local elections. I have several female relatives who could vote in local elections (because they either had a business and paid rates or because they paid rates on their home). They could not vote in parliamentary elections though as the criteria were different. I'm talking pre WW1 which I know is earlier than you mean, but the principle is the same.

OC

Comment

Thank you for that information OC - i never asked him about the details (as i was too young to understand) but what you say makes sense - that he could use his business vote for local elections in the city. I just wondered when this business vote ceased.
      Angelina

Comment

I'm not sure that it HAS ceased. If you are a ratepayer then I THINK you are entitled to vote in local elections. I will check that though.

OC

Comment

thank you for doing that for me. have to go now but will be back later.
          Angelina

Comment

An overview of voting in the UK, including voting in person, postal and proxy voting, and voting if you're abroad.

To stand for election as a local government councillor you need to have resided, worked, or been a landowner for the previous 12 months in the area covered by that council. (This came up for discussion recently, as our parish council has a job getting and retaining parish councillors.) So presumably, if your main residence is in one place, but you have carried out your business in another place, then you are entitled to serve as a local councillor in both places, if nominated and elected, or co-opted. If you are entitled to serve on two councils, then surely you would also be able to vote in both places?

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

My daughter has voted (or at least she was entitled to vote and received polling cards) in her main residence (Parliamentary and local) and in the area of the flat she is renting (and paying Council Tax for) while working away from home long-term (local election only).
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Sorry, I've been out all day!

I cannot find any definitive dates but reading between the lines, some people are marked on the current electoral roll as only being entitled to vote in local elections, presumably because they are a rate payer (Council Tax) and UJ's example is a good explanation.

OC

Comment

According to this, only in the City of London can businesses vote.
                  Last edited by keldon; 11-05-15, 08:41.
                  Phil
                  historyhouse.co.uk
                  Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Abolished 1949 for Parliamentary Elections, two decades later for Local (except CoL above)
                    A History of British Elections since 1689 represents a unique single-volume authoritative reference guide to British elections and electoral systems from the Glorious Revolution to the present day. The main focus is on general elections and associated by-elections, but Chris Cook and John Stevenson also cover national referenda, European parliament elections, municipal elections, and elections to the Welsh and Northern Irish assemblies and the Scottish parliament. The outcome and political significance of all these elections are looked at in detail, but the authors also discuss broader themes and debates in British electoral history, for example: the evolution of the electoral system, parliamentary reform, women's suffrage, constituency size and numbers, elimination of corrupt practices, and other important topics. The book also follows the fortunes not only of the major political parties but of fringe movements of the extreme right and left. Combining data, summary and analysis with thematic overviews and chronological outlines, this major new reference provides a definitive guide to the long and varied history of British elections and is essential reading for students of British political history.
                    Phil
                    historyhouse.co.uk
                    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thank you all very much for that information. Phil's links suggest it looks like my relative could vote twice in parliamentary elections until 1949 and then in his office local constituency until 1969 . but that doesnt tie up with UJ's daughter's right to vote locally twice unless she is in City of London. How curious??? I wonder how many people can still vote twice now?
                      Angelina

Comment

EU citizens are only entitled to vote in the local elections not the Parliamentary ones.

However students can be registered to vote in either their home or their university addresses and appear in both registers but are only supposed to vote in one of them.

For this election however individuals were supposed to register to vote themselves instead of previously when Universities registered their students en bloc.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                        X