medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• medals

I believe a member of my family may have sold my grandfathers WW1 MEDALS, probably in Edinburgh ,Scotland . Is there any site I could contact to see if I can trace them ?
    Julip

Hi Julip,strangely enough I had this discussion with someone at WDYTYA live last week. You may not be able to trace them although there used to be a site called Medal Trace I think. I am considering getting replicas of my Grandad's as Mum had to sell them as she needed the money after my Dad died.
    Barb

Comment

Hi Barb,
      Could you tell me where to get the replicas and would I be allowed to put his name on them ?
      Ev

Comment

Hi Julip, I have yet to find out,but will look into it more.
        Barb

Comment

Originally posted by julip View Post
          Hi Barb,
          Could you tell me where to get the replicas and would I be allowed to put his name on them ?
          Ev
          I've got this one bookmarked - never used it - but you can probably find others via google.
          Elaine

Comment

This is a highly regarded medal mounting and replacement service. I've used them a couple of times

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by julip View Post
              Hi Barb,
              Ev
              My grandfather received his son's medals (WW2) and had them inscribed on the back with his name J.P.H Guy & rank etc.
              1939-45 Star, France & Germany Star, 1939-45 Defence Medal and the War Medal 1939–1945.

They were stolen in the 1960s and I would dearly love to get them back.
              I am willing to pay the full market price to anyone who has them now.

Cheers
              Guy
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I used to be a trader in secondhand goods and knew quite a few medal dealers. I can tell you that unless the medals were exceptional or at least out of the ordinary, no trader was ever interested in buying them, stolen or otherwise, because they simply had no monetary value. In fact, many pawn shops had notices in the window stating "No more service medals thankyou".

Of course, lack of value doesn't mean they were never stolen because thieves are normally quite thick and wouldn't realise that ordinary service medals had no value until they tried to flog them!

OC

Comment

Thanks Elaine and JBEE,I will check out the sites you mentioned .
                  Barb/OC/Guy, Thanks for comments re medals. I know it is not the same having replicas,but it will show what he would have received.

Comment

I believe that IF Campaign medals have never been issued by MOD to the recipient that they can still be claimed even now at no cost.
                    Last edited by JBee; 28-04-15, 10:56.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

JBee

I remember seeing my grandfathers medals when I was a child ,so he did receive them .

Julip

Comment

If you join the British Medal Forum and ask a few pertinent questions you may get the answers you require. No problems in joining and there is no fee.
                        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Grumpy ,
                          Thanks for advice, will get on it asap.
                          Evelyn

Comment

thats awful Guy hope you get them back one day, have you tried maybe putting a post about them on FB its amazing what can happen on there.

Comment

I have the same issue with my grandfathers WWl medals. When he died and my grandmother remarried, her new husband sold them for money to buy drink. There is a website called www.medalsgonemissing.com You can advertise on here for missing medals and it would appear that they have reunited quite a few people with missing family medals. I think it was about 3.00 per year to post the advert (sorry no pound sign on my usa computer).

Hope this helps.
                              Mirry

Genealogy……. It’s not the size of the tree that matters, It’s the quality of the nuts you find on there

Comment

Update I have just had confirmation today that my advert for my Uncle's medals has been listed on the website.

The site owner suggests that they are listed as lost in case nervous collectors panic at the use of the word stolen if the medals are now in the hands of a “nervous” collector, then they may become too paranoid to contact us and the medals may go “underground”.

Cheers
                                Guy
                                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Hoping you get a result Guy.

Comment

Working...
                                  X