Thread: Research occupations Long Preston 1918-1940

Question Research occupations Long Preston 1918-1940

A friend of mine wants to find out how occupations in her village of Long Preston, N Yorkshire, changed after the First World War and the movement of the population. Can anyone help, or advise her where she might find the information?

How about the County Record Office:
    www.northyorks.gov.uk
    and a look at their archives online
    archives.northyorks.gov.uk/dserve/

Sory about the fonts - its all this cutting and pasting, but yiu don't really need the italics or the bold face.
    Geoff

Talk to older, "native" residents - they will have personal knowledge and also passed down knowledge gained from parents and grandparents.
    Look at buildings - where were the shops, pubs etc, when did they close? Where and when were newer properties built, what was there before them?
    I would suggest a root around in the local studies section of the libraries in the area, local newspapers , which might produce reports of village events and information on residents, opening/closing of businesses. Also school records.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Someone might have written about it locally, either in a booklet or the parish magazine. Worth checking.
    Anne

http://www.longprestonheritage.org.u...s/history.html there is a list of trades on this site and much more information about Long Preston though not sure if it will help in the war years and after.

Edna

Thanks everyone for you help. I will pass the information on to my friend.

Although during the 20th century a smaller proportion of people married in church or had children baptised the parish registers should still give quite a good overview of occupations. I found them useful when undertaking a similar exercise for my village.
    Last edited by JudithM; 27-04-15 at 16:42.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Will let my Friend know. Thanks