Church Marriage Finder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Church Marriage Finder

The Surname Society have put a new database online this weekend and access is free to all. The 'Church Marriage Finder' is the option in the menu.
    This database is useful if you are doing research in England and have the GRO reference to the marriage certificate (from FreeBMD, Ancestry, FindMyPast etc.). The normal thing to do is go off and order the certificate from the GRO for £9.25. The database allows you to look up that GRO reference and see at which church the marriage took place. Once you know the church then an online search may turn up an image or transcription of the Parish Register (FamilySearch, Online Parish Clerks, FreeREG etc.). At the moment the database contains 15 registration districts but over the coming weeks more districts will be added.

Of particular interest to me as it covers the Medway registration district. The CityArk website, not the most user friendly one I have come across, has a number of Medway PR transcriptions - but of course you need to know which church to search before scanning through the images to find the one you need. With the database on the Surname Society website I very easily found 5 last night that I have been searching for for a while!
    Elaine

This will be really useful. Not in my area yet but had a play after looking at a name on Freebmd and finding the church.

Hope they add some more to it soon and thanks Elaine for the info
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Elaine - let me know if my partial transcriptions might be any use. While using the Medway CityArk site, I noted the date-ranges of images to make my hunting easier.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
        Elaine - let me know if my partial transcriptions might be any use. While using the Medway CityArk site, I noted the date-ranges of images to make my hunting easier.

Christine
        Thanks Christine.
        Elaine

Comment

Working...
        X