why would Leopold become Leonard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why would Leopold become Leonard?

I have long been researching the Vango family, who lived in the East End for many years. I have my great grandfather, Edward Vango at 17 Royston Street, Bethnal Green until he died in the 1940s. He always had family living with or near him.
    At 7 Royston Street are Leonard and Ada Vango, and the surname is unusual enough that I felt there must be a family connection.
    To summarize, Edward had a nephew, Leopold, born April 1888 to his brother John and wife Louisa. I have them together in 1891 and 1901.
    Leopold married Ada Edwards in BG on 11-12-1912. His sister Maud Vango is one of the witnesses. So far, so clear.
    Their son is born in September 1912 and also named Leopold.
    But by the time I see them on the electoral register, Leopold is Leonard, and remains that way every year until his death in 1942.
    However, his death is registered as Leopold, which signals to me that he never changed it officially, just 'became known as'.
    Unfortunately I cannot check if the same happened to Leopold junior, as he died age 13.
    Any ideas why he did this? I wondered if he thought Leopold sounded German, and changed it during the war?
    I don't think there was any intent to deceive, as he lived in the same house for many years, and kept the correct surname.
    Thanks for your help.
    Denise

I was about to suggest that Leopold sounded German - ill-feeling/nationalism 1914 onwards?
    A lady living in my village (born in England, but of German parents) was afraid to leave her house during WW1 in case she was picked up in the street, arrested and sent to an internment camp for aliens.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I agree with Janet, Leopold sounds "foreign" and it was an attempt to sound more English.

OC

Comment

Its not much of a change either is it. So, yes, an effort to sound more english

Comment

Ok, thanks. If that was the reason then I guess they started calling their son Leonard as well. Sad to have to feel ashamed of your own name, but it is understandable for the time.
          Denise

Comment

Might also have had something to do with disociating himself from Prince Leopold of Bavaria, who commanded enemy forces during WW1.

Yes, it's a pity someone has to be ashamed of their name, but I bet there aren't many Adolphs since WW11, or many Myras since Myra Hindley.

OC

Comment

I have a Leopold who became Leonard as well. I also have several Ludwigs who became Louis and Wilhelms who became William. They are of German descent, so almost certainly Anglicising their names.
              Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
              Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
              Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
              Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
              Devine in Ireland

Comment

Working...
              X