Abraham Holmes 1670

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abraham Holmes 1670

I do not just do Dodman's , in my family tree. I also do Holmes - my mother's side of the famaily. As well as Grainger's - my grandmother's side of the family.
    In this post I am as far back in Ireland as i can go, from contacts in California U.S. and with documentation, this information is confirmed. I am starting at the
    beginning, so please bare with me.

Ninian Holmes b. est 1610 - Coleraine County, Antrim, Ireland, I have no wife, no other information about him such as marriage or death. Ninian had a son John Holmes
    born and died Coleraine County, Antrim, Ireland. I have no other information about him, such as wife, marriage and, death. And a son William Holmes born est 1640,
    Coleraine County, Antrim, Ireland. There could also be other sons in this family.

William Holmes born est 1640. I have no wife for, had 3 sons William born unknown, died unknown. Was a merchant in Coleraine and, had a son Samuel. Abraham Holmes born
    est 1670 Coleraine County, Antrim, Ireland. I have no other information about him, such as wife, marriage and death. Abraham had possibly 4 sons, Abraham born est 1700,
    married to a Janet Hopkins. Ninian born est 1715, Coleraine County, Antrim. Samuel born unknown and died unknown. Paul born unknown and died unknown.
    The 3rd and last son of William 1640 was Nathaniel Holmes born est 1690, Coleraine County, Antrim, Ireland. Nathaniel married Janet Hunter born est 1710, Coleraine County,
    Antrim. This is also the place of their marriage event. Nathaniel Holmes and Janet Hunter eventually immigrate to Conneticut U.S. I believe with all 6 sons and 2 daughters, where
    they all live out the rest of their lives. I am not sure if all children immigrated or not.

It would be nice if all the wholes in this thread could be answered, but it is, Abraham Holmes 1670 ( Est ), that I am interested in finding more about. Wife, marriage, death, and any
    other information that can be found about him.

I Find Irish Genealogy As The Hardest Genealogy To Do!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Hunting - Jeff ;D

Should I be replacing " LONDONDERRY With COLERAINE!!!!!!! "

Happy Hunting - Jeff

Comment

Don't know much about Irish genealogy but I think the place you are meaning should be Coleraine, County Antrim. (Note where the comma is) the county is called County Antrim.
      Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne, for bringing this mistake up. This thread is a little confusing. " Londonderry, Coleraine and Antrim, are all mentioned in the documents.
        That I am referring to in this thread.

For William Holmes 1640, to have a son Abraham 1670. William would have been some where around 30 yrs. old (est. ) And to have his last son
        Nathaniel 1690, William would have been 50 yrs. old ( est. )

Is this common or is there a mistake, in the line-of-lineage?

Happy Hunting - Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
          Don't know much about Irish genealogy but I think the place you are meaning should be Coleraine, County Antrim. (Note where the comma is) the county is called County Antrim.
          Anne
          Coleraine is actually in Co Derry/Londonderry, not Co Antrim.

It was actually a short lived county in its own right from 1585 to 1613, but then became part of the newly established county of London/Derry with London/Derry as the county town (or Stroke City as Gerry Anderson - not the Thunderbirds one but a celebrated local radio presenter - used to call it. How you refer to it is still somewhat fraught politically!) This next bit from Wikipedia might be helpful in making sense of the various locations Jeff has come across:

English control of the territory remained nominal. Following the Flight of the Earls (1607) and O'Doherty's Rebellion (1608) the Crown confiscated almost the entire county from its Irish aristocratic feudal owners. In 1609 the territory was given to the City of London Corporation and its livery companies, who received instructions to undertake its plantation. The area for planting included:
          Last edited by Karamazov; 10-04-15, 20:10.
          Researching:
          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Would adding this bit of information be of more help?
            Abraham Holmes est. 1670, of Ballygelagh, Ballyaghran
            Parish, and Ballyreagh, Ballywillin Parish.

Grandfather: Ninian Holmes 1610 of Ballyaghran?

Happy Hunting - Jeff

Comment

Working...
            X