No announcement yet.

First ww1 medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found these in the back of the garage and started researching who this person was in my husbands family. Found a war record stating that he was 17 years and 217 days old when he enlisted. Can anyone work out when his birthday was if he enlisted on 9 Sep 1916? Also what are the medals please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GrandmaSilver View Post
      Found these in the back of the garage and started researching who this person was in my husbands family. Found a war record stating that he was 17 years and 217 days old when he enlisted. Can anyone work out when his birthday was if he enlisted on 9 Sep 1916? Also what are the medals please.

I think his 17th birthday would have been on 4th February 1916, definitely born some time in early February 1899
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

The two medals on ribbons are the British War Medal and the Victory medal

Comment

The one mounted between the others is a memorial plaque presented to next of kin of men who died in WW1 http://www.greatwar.co.uk/memorials/memorial-plaque.htm

Comment

Thank you for your help Judith.. Do you know which is the war medal and which is the victory medal?

Comment

The British War medal is on the left, Victory on the right.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Does anyone know what being qualified in bombing would have meant in WW1?

Comment

Could be what we now call Land-mines.
                    The practice was to bury large amounts of explosive. that could be detonated from a single switch.
                    Look up the battle of Messines Ridge to see the biggest use.
                    But:
                    Small bombs thrown by hand are Grenades.
                    The tank crews even to day talk of a "full bomb load" when they mean shells for the main gun.
                    Geoff

Comment

Thanks. Sounds a very dangerous job and could be how he died.

Comment

Qualified in bombing means being taught all aspects of throwing/safe handling of hand grenades, on the British side refers to Mills bombs. Only a select number of men

per unit were qualified for this activity.
                        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Thank you. That's very interesting.

Comment

What are the names on the medals? The photos are very small. Unlike WW2 medals, which were minted en masse without names, WW1 medals had names and individual serial numbers for the soldiers in question.

I've been trying to find 'death pennies' for a couple of my grandfather's brothers, but sadly to no avail so far.
                            Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
                            Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
                            Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Comment

Working...
                            X