No announcement yet.

Trying to find his father

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jackie, have found the person on the memorial, he was George Newman b. 1881 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=2
    The disease he died from was influenza, the first page of his service is on Ancestry but there wasn't an address, but this does give his mother's name.
    Vonny

Comment

Name: George Newman
      Birth Year: abt 1847
      Birth Place: Hampshire
      Event Date: 1879
      Port of Registry: Liverpool, Lancashire, England
      Ship Name: City of Berlin
      Official Number: 70913
      Reference Number: 387CRE/208

Discover your family history and build a family tree with the world’s largest genealogy website. Search birth records, census data, obituaries and more!
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Possible death?
        GEORGE
        NEWMAN
        Birth year 1843
        Age 45
        Death quarter 1
        Death year 1888
        District LIVERPOOL
        County Lancashire
        Volume 8B Page 6

only 1 death at sea but doubtful.

George
        Newman b Bridgewater
        No age given
        Death date 8 Apr 1887
        Vessel name Marie Eugenie

Record set Deaths at sea, 1781-1968
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 31-03-15, 19:57.
        Kat

Comment

Thanks Kat, I did in fact find the 1843 birth with the death of 1888. The death at sea does seem doubtful as Bridgewater is in Somerset. His ship did seem to be The City of Berlin, I found 2 crossings he made on it. I did find this interesting piece on the ship http://www.maritimequest.com/daily_e..._of_berlin.htm
          I wonder if he was on that voyage?
          Vonny

Comment

According to the image the George Newman 1887 death at sea was 17 years old
            Jackie

Comment

So it seems he is definitely not our man. I will have to send for his marriage certificate to Annie, not too sure who his father is and a name would be useful, perhaps when I have that I can then pinpoint his parentage. This is turning out to be a "can of worms" one way and another!
              Vonny

Comment

There are a lot of Georges around Hampshire so knowing his father's name is a must I think Vonny.

Didn't have time to look at the image, Jackie - was dashing off to watch "Ordinary Lies"
                Kat

Comment

Think this must be George Newman with his grandparents on 1851 census.

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1846
                  Relation: Grandson
                  Where born: Lymington, Hampshire, England
                  Civil Parish: Lymington
                  County/Island: Hampshire
                  Registration district: Lymington
                  Piece: 1666
                  Folio: 112
                  Page Number: 2

Willm Newman 58
                  Emma Newman 16
                  George Newman 5
                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 31-03-15, 21:32.
                  Kat

Comment

Estimated Birth Year: 1846
                    Relation: Servant (Employee)
                    Where born: Symington, Hampshire, England
                    Civil Parish: Southampton All Saints
                    Ecclesiastical parish: St Paul
                    Town: Southampton
                    County/Island: Hampshire
                    Registration district: Southampton
                    Piece: 677
                    Folio: 67
                    Page Number: 25
                    Kat

Comment

Thanks for all that information Kat, I have downloaded and saved it to file. I have just ordered the marriage certificate for George Newman, GRO have put an estimate for dispatch date as the 9th of April, not surprising it is going to take longer to get here because of the Easter break. I should hope I receive it by the 10th or the 11th of April. I had come across the 1861 with him as an employee in a school, but wasn't sure about it.
                      Vonny

Comment

Update of post #21 I have found probate for George Newman who died 1919. Probate was 1924 and all his effects of £149.11s.1d were granted to his half brother James Corrin - labourer.
                        Vonny

Comment

If the marriage details fit then I think the birth cert post #20 would be next as he was with his grandparents on the 1851 Lymington. Hopefully you will then find the parents on the 1841. The Lymington 1841 census is in a very poor condition in parts with a lot indexed by first names only. Although the grandfather was born in Brockenhurst north of Lymington in the New Forest, his daughter Emma (George's aunt) was born in Lymington 1835. Finding them on 1841 is going to be difficult.
                          Kat

Comment

1841 census Lymington
                            William Newman 70 gt grandfather (possible relationship to George Newman b 1846)
                            William Newman 10 uncle (ditto)
                            Sarah Newman 45 grandmother (ditto)

William Newman 45 grandfather (Relationship known from 1851 census)
                            Emma Newman 5 aunt (ditto)
                            http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/89...l=ReturnRecord (2nd family group on LHS )
                            Kat

Comment

Thanks for that Kat, I have downloaded the record and made it fairly readable also opened it up in "paint" which really zooms in on the page. It's just a waiting game now for the marriage certificate to arrive and then have a solution.
                              Vonny

Comment

Have, today, received the marriage certificate for George Newman and Annie Whatley, married July 13th 1879 as St. Mary's Edge Hill, West Derby. George is 32 and Annie 20. George is a mariner. The father of George is George (deceased) a shipwright. Annie's father is Samuel Whately, Joiner. The D.O.B. for George as 1847, give or take a year, is correct.
                                Vonny

Comment

FMP has Lymington baptisms, transcriptions only, but only up to 1837 as far as I can see, so George jr's baptism isn't there.

However, I checked for baptisms of children of William and Sarah Newman in Lymington, and the result was George 1817, Ann 1818, James 1821, Eliza 1824, William 1827 and Emma 1835. In 1817 the parents' abode is given as Milford, Hampshire.

I should think there's a pretty good chance that the George baptised in 1817 is George jr's father, but I haven't found him on the censuses so far.

There is a George Newman, shipwright, of roughly the right age living in Portsea in 1841 and 1851, but he's not the son of George and Sarah. In 1851 he's unmarried, so presumably not the father of your George.

Comment

Thanks for looking Mary. This is going to be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Everyone in Hampshire seems to be called George Newman!! I was looking along the lines of finding a death for George Senior. Kat did post #20 a census with a George aged 5 living with grandparents, so looking for a death before/after George jnr was born might have solved this particular puzzle. I did find a death for JUL/AUG/SEP.qtr 1846 Andover Hampshire v7 p33 which could be a possibility? It's working out the possible d.o.b. and I did find a birth in Porsea Hampshire for 29 Jan 1826 George Newman, father George, mother Elizabeth. Perhaps the birth is too early?
                                    Vonny

Comment

Originally posted by Vonny North West View Post
                                      I have a marriage certificate for 1912 between Gordon Newman aged 24, Caulker, and Jessie Evelyn Ford at the Church of St. Mary Bootle. Gordon's father is named as George Newman (deceased) Seaman. I have tried to find George Newman along all the various routes but have not been able to find him anywhere. I am assuming he could have been a merchant seaman, the family seem to have a strong West Derby presence up until recent times. I have been assuming that he could have been from the Liverpool surrounding area. I am stuck and don't know where to go from here. Can anyone help?

Vonny
                                      This is my family. Gerry was my Dad. I have information that he had researched.

Comment

Originally posted by Vonny North West View Post
                                        Update of post #21 I have found probate for George Newman who died 1919. Probate was 1924 and all his effects of £149.11s.1d were granted to his half brother James Corrin - labourer.
                                        Vonny
                                        I have seen Georges grave at Bootle cemetery. he was Gordon's brother and he was on HMS Bullfinch but died from a tropical sickness on land.

Comment

Hello elaiinelily56 and welcome to FTF
                                          Vonny hasn't been on the site for some time. So can I suggest that you send her a Private Message. If you click on her highlighted name you will see the Private Message box come up.
                                          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                          X