Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The right genealogical program?

Thank you for allowing me to join you.

First of all I want to introduce myself.

I'm a genealogical buff and have been all my life. I come from two families with easily researched members, both being 'political' families of Switzerland and Great Britain, with the obligatory German, Spanish and huguenot ascendants.

As with most political families it turns out that many marriages are with people who are related, albeit distantly in some cases (4-5th cousins).

I have toyed with several family tree programs but never found the right one. What i am looking for is one that recognises different languages and different titles from around Europe and one where one can create sheets of interrelations; for example how various descendants are related or how marriages can show the relationship, apart from marriage, of the individuals concerned. I would like also, to see, for example, how many of my ancestors fought at the battle of Agincourt, by just issuing some command. OR how many times one is descended from a particualr individual and how many descendants this individual has in all line. I am fully aware that all this is conditional on the data input.I am also a stickler for primary and secondary sources. Et bien sur, pictures or portraits of the individuals....A tall order i know but there must be a package that does this!? Does anyone have any ideas?

Family Historian produced by Calico Pie could do the things you ask, specially the 'Queries' as they call them. There is also an extremely helpful User Group (not connected to, but coordinated with) Calico Pie. You can get a free trial of the program.
    Anne

Comment

I must agree with Anne - Family Historian is an excellent piece of software. You can download a free 30 day trial to experiment with - see http://www.family-historian.co.uk/downloads
      Kind regards,
      William
      Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Thanks for that. I will look into this program.
        PG

Comment

Should be remembered, that the latest version, disappointingly, does not now work on Windows XP
          Last edited by DgJay; 17-03-15, 20:30.
          DGJay

Comment

Working...
          X