Lincolnshire Marriage Look-up please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Bertie,

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Your information about Lucy Stay nee Goulden confirms that the following is indeed ours -
    Kew, Public Records Office (PROB6/20416) Admons or Letter of Administration, that reads as follows: 16 July 1828 David Goulding. £50 On the sixteenth day. Admon of the Goods, Chattels and Credits of David Goulding late of Poole in the County of Dorset, Bachelor, deceased was granted to Lucy Stay (wife of Stephen Stay) the natural and lawful Sister and next of kin of the said Deceased having been first sworn by Crown duly to administer.
    The fact that David Goulden lived in Poole ties in very nicely with the Newfoundland connection too.
    We don't have the James who died young s/o James and Ann White. Will have to look further.
    Otherwise, as you say, we are broadly in agreement.
    We have recently found an Albert Goulding apprenticed to a Barking shipowner in the 1858. And a Robert Goulding indentured into the Merchant Navy in 1855. If they are 'ours' and we think there is a good possibility, it would fit in well with James dying in 1856.
    Where exactly does this family fit in with yours?
    Best wishes
    Peter

Comment

Hi Peter - I have seen this probate reference (from Bill Goulding's doc.?) but I have not tracked down the original via TNA website but I'm prepared to believe it's an authentic reference. This family is a far-flung twig on my tree and the connection (which is not from memory even direct) is via the SPELT family.

Comment

I have been searching from some years for a James Rowland who was supposed to have been born in Wales (Montgomeryshire) - it would appear he was not born there at all! There were quite a few Rowlands born in Stamford so I did a second Tree with them on it and incorporated a few of the Rowlands I found in Derbyshire. I think I have some siblings of James Rowland now.
        I am pretty sure I have found James Rowland and parents names born 1762 in Stamford, Lincolnshire (not to be confused with Stamford Baron) - I have been trying to go through Stamford births (original entries to be on the safe side) to make sure - the entries appear to stop before 1762 so I am stuck - is there by any chance another website anyone knows of. I believe Lincs to the Past now have their records on one of the websites used for research (not ancestry)but I cannnot remember the name of the site but I do remember I found the website extremely difficult to use when I have tried to use it for other searches - I know a lot of people prefer the site though. I have tried James Rowland b1762 Stamford, Lincolnshire (on the website I can't remember the name of) and absolutely nothing comes up because the entries stop before 1762!!! I have other church registers on that site to go through having only "done" St. Michaels.
        Grateful for any advice at all so that I can confirm whether my "find" is the correct one. Sue
        {PS I think the website I don't get on with is Find My Past - I did try it for James last week and I could get absolutely nothing to come up}

Comment

Yes, it is Find my Past but you won't be able to search because the earlier Lincolnshire records are not indexed. However you can browse through them. Go to the A to Z index and put Lincolnshire in the search box. You can narrow down to the parish you need.

My proviso is that, although FMP gives a much better visual result than the FREE Lincs to the Past site, some pages are missing or in the wrong order. I have often used Lincs to the Past to find the result and then not benn able to find the same page on FMP. if you don't currently have a FMP subscription, my advice would be to use Lincs to the Past, difficult though it is to see the pages properly.
          Anne

Comment

Thanks for that Ann - I did search some of the Lincs records and did get Stamford Lincs records (as opposed to Stamford, Northants!) - the records stopped not far before the year I wanted. I am not a member of Find my Past, nor do I get on very well with that website but they have a "Free session" for, I think, 3 days and this is day 2. Sue

Comment

I haven't read all the posts in detail but I wondered where "chairmaker" comes from?

I asked for a transcription of a marriage record, and an archivist gave the father's occupation as "Cashier". This conflicted with all my info - until I saw the image of the register. Archivist or not, she had misread the entry - it was "Carrier", not "Cashier": he was a carter or carman. The writing was a bit tricky, and an untrained eye could easily read in "Cashier", so I'd have been forgiving but thought an archivist should have known better.

And have you come across: http://mi.lincolnshiremarriages.org.uk/ ? It includes Excel database workbooks (there's quite a lot of info transcribed into these).I'm afraid that the list doesn't seem to include Grimsby, though (and Newark was in Notts, last time I looked!).
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 14-01-17, 20:44.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
              X