What could 'C of P' mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amck37 View Post
    Well now Rick, that's interesting and I think that could be it - Consent of parents! It states this in full after some names and just C of p after others; perhaps it is simply a shotform used by those transcribing the register?

Amanda
    Yes - typically, typed transcripts are abbreviated to save the transcribers' fingers !!
    Rick

Comment

Haha, it could simply be an abbreviation instead of a cryptic message!

Thank you all

Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by amck37 View Post
        Haha, it could simply be an abbreviation instead of a cryptic message!

Thank you all

Amanda
        If you want me to look one of them up to check, then just give me the details.
        Rick

Comment

DURH!

So blinky obvious innit, when you know!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            DURH!

So blinky obvious innit, when you know!

OC
            Yup !! Out of curiosity I had a look at a couple of random marriages and it is even pre-printed on the form "with Consent of_________". Parents is written in quite a few of them and otherwise it is left blank.
            Rick

Comment

So presumably, this meant that the couple were under age? or at least one of them? - or not yet 21.

Amanda

Comment

Yes, one of them at least was under 21 (age of consent until recently).

I have also seen "with consent of friends" and "with consent of those whom the law requires" (!)

OC

Comment

Interesting thread this.
                  I can also remember reading Full aged spinster or Full aged groom after a relatives name.
                  Twiglet

Comment

In days of yore, when researchers were still granted access to the original registers and without gloves, sometimes one encountered little slips of paper tucked into the register by the incumbent. The marriage register often yielded good results such as a note that permission to marry had been obtained from the mother (indication of possible illegitimacy) or a named guardian (often invaluable.) I also came across scraps from the vicar of another parish, sent to say he'd read the banns in a particular parish and with the dates of reading. (A lot of banns books have been lost over the years.)
                    I was always fascinated by the properties of the paper - thick and textured (like blotting paper for those old enough to remember such stuff) smelling musty and small pieces with edges slit with a knife. It hit home how expensive paper was in those days and how it wasn't an everyday commodity in all households.

I know OC will have handled original registers and seen some of these gems, which don't feature in filming or transcriptions.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

JAY

Yes, I have indeed handled original documents - without gloves, haha!

The one which moved me the most was a really quite ordinary unremarkable Will, written by my umpty-grandfather in 1500-something. I touched his signature with my finger and thought - I am touching my ancestor from 500 years ago. Could he ever have imagined in his wildest dreams that one of his descendants would handle that document? (Oh, what a soppy thing I am, lol!)

The other thing which is a wonderful bonus if you can get your hands on original church registers is all the other stuff in the register, not just BMDs but things like the Oath of Allegiance, Sunday School registers, who gave what to the Bell Fund. One Vicar kept a running commentary on the weather, the harvest, bits of local gossip and other fascinating trivia. Confirmation registers, fines for not attending church, fines for not having your children baptised etc etc etc - all this extraneous stuff is very rarely filmed or transcribed. Two pages (in Latin) which, when I had it translated, turned out to be a commentary on the late Vicar who had been "unwell" for many years and had failed to record any BMDs. The locals had taken it upon themselves to keep track of events and a sort of catch up register was produced for the village, containing many events which had taken place elsewhere because of the "illness" of the Vicar. Riveting stuff!

OC

Comment

Brilliant stuff, OC!

In this registers transcript I can see that ancestors of mine are named as contributing from 6d to £5 each 'towards defraying the expence of erecting a New Schoolroom in this Parish which was built on a piece of the waste ground granted by William HOLBECH Esqre as Lord of the Manor and opened Novemer 15th 1833'.

Also, I see that donations from a couple of them, from £2 to £5 each, being 'Donations towards the purchase of a Box of Child Bed Linen for the use of poor married women of Fenny Compton'.

Lovely, personal stuff

Amanda

Comment

Working...
                        X