Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past Blog - Findmypast Free Weekend 6-9 March 2015

More...

Please note: This post has originated from a news feed from an external website.
    Family Tree Forum neither endorses nor is responsible for the views of the author or any other content.

Free access to all FindMypast collections, 6–9 March

I've taken the liberty of copying this from Claire Santry's highly recommended Irish Genealogy blog at http://www.irishgenealogynews.com as she summarises the FMP offer/terms and conditions in a user friendly way. I think the only other thing I'd mention is FMPs fair usage policy but as each account may view up to a maximum of 1,000 records per day, I doubt any of us would fall foul of that! The key link is at the bottom of this post.

From Claire's blog:

Findmypast has announced that all its historical records collections will be available free this coming weekend, from midday on Friday 6 March to midday on Monday 9 March.

The records opened up will include:
    • Over 900 million census records from across the UK, USA and Ireland
    • Passenger lists for ships sailing to and from Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and the USA
    • Birth, marriage and death records dating back to the 18th century, and the largest online collection of UK parish records
    • The most comprehensive collection of British military records anywhere online
    • The largest collection of Irish family history records available online
    • Historical newspapers from across the world, including more than 10 million British and Irish newspaper pages dating back to the 18th century.

If you already have a 'local' subscription ie Ireland, Britain, Australia/NZ or USA package, you'll be granted World Access for the weekend. If you're already a World Access member, you'll have an extra three days automatically added to your subscription.

A Getting Started video will be available and, to mark International Women's Day, a Finding Women in the Records webinar will also be on offer at 3pm(GMT) on Sunday, free. As, historically, women’s names changed or were not recorded, finding female ancestors can be tricky. This webinar will help users trace maternal lines and get further with their family tree.

You can find out more at Findmypast’s dedicated Free Weekend page, and it looks as though you can register (free) in advance.

Last edited by Karamazov; 04-03-15, 11:43.
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thanks Karamazov. Will take a look at the Irish records

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
        Thanks Karamazov. Will take a look at the Irish records

Vera
        Hi Vera,
        Depending on where your ancestors are from and how quarrelsome/bolshy/downright contrary they were, have you ever delved into the Irish Petty Sessions records on FMP? If you're lucky (!?!) you can find a litany of family squabbles, unpaid wages, drunkenness, trespass etc. However, FMP only has these for the 26 counties, not the 6 northern counties unfortunately.
        I'm so sad I've even downloaded dog licence records for lots of my rellies! On a more serious note, it's helped me narrow down possible dates of death when someone no longer renews their licence...
        The filtering works pretty well too if your broad search turns up loads of results - filter by county, then court, and then finally put the name of the townland, if known, in the keyword box. Also try its variant spellings, as if memory serves, I don't think wildcards work in the keyword box.
        Good luck

Christine
        Last edited by Karamazov; 04-03-15, 14:07.
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thanks Christine

My great grandmother is the one I am searching for and unfortunately comes from the North, Co Armagh so not likely to get even a dog licence although I would love one for my tree. I agree the most unlikely record can help placing people or dating them.

I will look however at my husband's side in the South to see what terrible deeds his ancestors may have been involved in.

Vera
          Last edited by vera2013; 04-03-15, 14:13.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
            Thanks Christine

I will look however at my husband's side in the South to see what terrible deeds his ancestors may have been involved in.

Vera
            Lol, Vera, like the message in history books, that perspective often depends on the views of the writer. (I know you had your tongue in your cheek when making that comment!)

My e-mail from FMP states the times as 7a.m EST Friday until 7 a.m EST. Monday - would hate anyone to leave things for the wrong time zone on Monday and get caught out.

Jay
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 04-03-15, 19:40.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

bumping up so folks don't miss it.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I knew this, but when I logged in it took off 5 credits for a lookup I forgot already had!
                How do I get free access, was there a password to put in?
                Last edited by TwigletNumber5; 06-03-15, 10:13.
                Twiglet

Comment

Originally posted by TwigletNumber5 View Post
                  I knew this, but when I logged in it took off 5 credits for a lookup I forgot already had!
                  How do I get free access, was there a password to put in?
                  It wasn't starting until noon (UK) today. It stops at noon (UK) on Monday.

" .... That means that between midday on Friday, March 6th and midday on Monday, March 9th (GMT), absolutely everyone will have access to our comprehensive collections of historical records and innovative research tools ....."
                  Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Just a reminder - this offer is now live.

Christine
                    Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                      Just a reminder - this offer is now live.

Christine
                      And the FMP website is slowing down and struggling ..must be popular !
                      Last edited by AntonyM; 06-03-15, 15:34.
                      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
                        And the FMP website is slowing down and struggling ..must be popular !
                        Surprise, surprise! I alerted my Family History Group to this freebie, but warned tham that as the the site was being opened up to the world this weekend, that it might be a little slow or even crash, and that I was going to avoid FMP this weekwend!

Lost Cousins was indicating the site would be available Monday morning, but not according to the mail I received from FMP.

Janet
                        Last edited by Janet; 06-03-15, 16:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                          Lost Cousins was indicating the site would be available Monday morning, but not according to the mail I received from FMP.

Janet
                          My email from FMP definitely says the free access is available until 12 noon GMT on Monday!

May have need of Monday morning - I've just tried to search and got the dreaded:

We're having a few technical difficulties

Please accept our apologies. We're aware of the problem and we're working hard to fix it.
                          Sorry if this causes you any inconvenience - we're confident we can get the site up and running again very soon.
                          Thank you for your patience.
                          Findmypast
                          Researching:

Comment

Rather then have two threads running on the same subject, I have merged them together.
                            Caroline
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

If you are having loading issues, it might be a good idea to keep an eye on the Facebook page to see what is happening:

Findmypast, London, United Kingdom. Отметки "Нравится": 491 627 · Обсуждают: 3 006. The UK's best family history website - unlock your family history today

You don't need to sign in or even have a FB account.

Caroline

Comment

I've got an account and yet I've not made any effort to use it at all which is a miracle for me. I think it must be due to having an actual Ancestry account now that I just don't feel the need to use the FMP freebie, either that or I have no idea who to search for first.
                                Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Doh, I thought it said 12.00 midnight!!! No wonder I got charged.LOL
                                  Thanks for reminding me Caroline.
                                  Twiglet

Comment

I am all for having free offers.....BUT they could have got their act together a bit better. I can't even get on it 'Due to Technical Difficulties'

I think I'll give it a miss till next week :(

Linda

Comment

Working...
                                    X