Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hartley LARKIN 1719-1803 & HMS Victory 1765-...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hartley LARKIN 1719-1803 & HMS Victory 1765-...

I've just posted on FaceBook, but FTF should have my primary genealogy loyalty...
    Just feeling really chuffed!
    As many know, genealogy is my hobby (a.k.a. "addiction"!) so, when I read in the The Guardian a few days ago that a naval historian at Chatham had uncovered an exciting tale about the launching of HMS Victory - how it nearly didn't happen, but for the efforts of Hartl(e)y LARKIN - I was intrigued enough to see if I could find anyone who had him in their tree.

After a bit of searching around, I found someone whose public tree on Ancestry included a very possible link (probably some kind of nth cousin x times removed), so I sent a PM.

I received a reply, today, from a very happy genealogist for whom it would appear that Hartley LARKIN is a direct ancestor!

(And, yesterday, I turned up another couple of new snippets about my Errant Grandfather, too! )

I know my friends here will understand what a pleasure this is. And can we find any more descendants of Hartley to tell? I have suggested to "defogger" on Ancestry that it might be worth looking for more descendants of Hartley - what a great story it would be for the exhibition if they could be visited by descendants of the man who saved this extraordinary ship (I hadn't understood just how 'extraordinary' before reading the article) from catastrophe! The Guardian story is here: http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2...e-of-trafalgar
    Information about the exhibition is here: http://thedockyard.co.uk/plan/events...-untold-story/

(And thanks for the FTF help I had received in obtaining that extra info on my much-less-than-perfect Errant Grandfather!)
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Well done, Christine - the act of a true genealogist!

And I'm pleased to hear you've made progress on the grandfather search - is this the man who went to America, adjusted his age to suit his own purposes and had the two wives, apparently at the same time?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
      Well done, Christine - the act of a true genealogist!

And I'm pleased to hear you've made progress on the grandfather search - is this the man who went to America, adjusted his age to suit his own purposes and had the two wives, apparently at the same time?

Jay
      Thank you, Jay.

And "Errant Grandfather" is, indeed, the one who went to the USA. This is the marriage I thought was a phantom. In the 1930 census, he gives his age at 1st marriage as the same age as he gives for the census - which would have meant it took place in March 1930. I applied for records of Leonard BENNETT marriages to Ruth at that sort of time and in that area, but nothing relevant was found... because it was 1928 not 1930! The snippets of info about the subsequent divorce - which did, at least, precede the next marriage(s) - suggest that he really wasn't a very nice husband.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

But it confirmed it was he? Super!

Comment

Working...
        X