another Will question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another Will question

Hi I would like to order a Will for a Elizabeth Grenfell d. 1947, of Silverwood Wentworth, now it says London Probate 10 june 1947 but at the end it says 'Resealed HONG KONG 10th March 1948' one year later, does anyone know what that would mean, do I still put in the Registry box London Probate...?? and any ideas why it would have been resealed???...bit of a novice on Wills I'afraid...many thanks......Lilly

you could email the site somebody said they are very helpful, did you find it on both years or just the one ?
    Last edited by Guest; 27-02-15, 12:12.

Comment

Hi Val, no it was only seems to be on 1947 ..so was unsure what the Hong kong bit was all about.. many thanks I will try and email them, and see if they can help.......Lilly

Comment

if its only on 1947 then I would assume thats the one to send for good luck

Comment

Yes I think I will chance it and sent for the London probate, can't seem to find an email for them and they are saying ( incase anyone else is interested) that an Estate is 'sealed' when a Estate/property has to be sold after a death (the lady in question was left this Estate 'for life' by her late husband) so would make sense, the Estate/propery to be sold after her death....so I am guessing that after all this time the property etc would have been sold, so I could get access to the Will. just confused about the Hong kong bit????...ooooh how exciting.......Lilly
          Last edited by Lilly the flower; 27-02-15, 13:14.

Comment

if your ordering online I got some of mine within a day , much better than waiting weeks.

Comment

oh really. lucky you I order this lady's husbands Will about 8 days ago. still nothing....lol... I am just hoping this will answer a story I was told when I was 8 years old, I am now 64!!! it has taken me since about 1998 to get this far, whatever did we do before the old internet, yea I know Record offices , walking miles in the cold etc lol...Lilly ps Will now order, so the wait begins....

Comment

thats a long time did you order it online ? maybe they got busy.

Comment

yes order on line, have just checked emails and junk, nothing....also noticed it wasn't ready to download when I ordered the latest Will. most odd...

Comment

I cannot access mine on IE have to use chrome for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by Lilly the flower View Post
                      Hi I would like to order a Will for a Elizabeth Grenfell d. 1947, of Silverwood Wentworth, now it says London Probate 10 june 1947 but at the end it says 'Resealed HONG KONG 10th March 1948' one year later, does anyone know what that would mean, do I still put in the Registry box London Probate...?? and any ideas why it would have been resealed???...bit of a novice on Wills I'afraid...many thanks......Lilly
                      My guess is the lady had property/investments in Hong Kong. I've often seen wills listed as sealed when a person dies in Scotland but has property in England that is part of the estate and vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                        My guess is the lady had property/investments in Hong Kong. I've often seen wills listed as sealed when a person dies in Scotland but has property in England that is part of the estate and vice versa.
                        In my family the National Probate Register shows "sealed" when the person died in England with property in England but was born in Scotland so it's likely it was a Scottish will.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I think a will is sealed/resealed when it is discovered that the deceased had the bulk of their estate in another country and therefore probate must take place according to the law of the country where majority assets are held, not necessarily the country where the person lived or died.

I have friends with dual nationality and they have both made two wills, to comply with their assets in each country.

OC

Comment

Gosh, reading all these wonderful suggestions, has now really puzzle me, I wonder what this Will will tell me, The lady was born in Scotland as so her late husband, but lived and died in England. property in Hong kong I guess is a possible, but none that I am aware of! (at the moment) I have ordered the Will, so just hope that I get it...I thought it might be a complicated one, as there was an awful lot of land/Estate/money involved in this family. As I have already said it was resealed for nearly one year after the reading, I guess so it gave them time to sell any property and see it worth....I would also like to know why it seems that she has left £22.0000 yea! to a compete strange and not family, I guess all will be revealed soon, her husbands Will ( still waiting for that one) I know is at least 17 pages long, so goodness knows how long ladies Will, will be...:( lol Lilly

Comment

Not necessarily property in Hong Kong, could be stocks and shares or even just a bank account.

OC

Comment

Working...
                              X