Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Maps Online?

Hello all

Just wondered if anyone had any pointers if village maps are available to view online? - free?

Specifically looking at Fenny Compton, Warks, around 1880.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Amanda

try this (1885/6)

Last edited by AntonyM; 17-02-15, 13:51.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Oooh, super, Antony, thank you

Amanda

Comment

Sorry, Antony, one more question, is there any way I can find out the street names? They are on my census but not this map. Should I contact the Warks Archives?

Amanda

Comment

Butting in - street names, particularly in villages, were quite uncommon at that time. Even now, some village lanes don't have a name.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Even when they had a name many changed name over the years.
            Cheers
            Guy
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

As the street names are on the census then you may be able to work out where they were on the map with a bit of clever work, lol.

Find something on the census - a pub say - which you can identify on the map. Use the enumerator's descriptions of the districts and draw a sketch of the area they describe, using the census address information to help you. Although street names change over time, things like churches, schoolhouses etc seldom move and they certainly won't have moved far between 1880 and 1885!

I hope that makes sense.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                As the street names are on the census then you may be able to work out where they were on the map with a bit of clever work, lol.

Find something on the census - a pub say - which you can identify on the map. Use the enumerator's descriptions of the districts and draw a sketch of the area they describe, using the census address information to help you. Although street names change over time, things like churches, schoolhouses etc seldom move and they certainly won't have moved far between 1880 and 1885!

I hope that makes sense.

OC
                That sounds like a very practical approach, OC!
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Amanda

OC has given excellent advice about tracking the movement of the census enumerator - that can often identify buildings.

Otherwise you may have to think about a trip to the county archives - it is often necessary to use a number of maps , such as tithe maps, estate maps and OS maps showing the area over time which you can use together to see where individual features/houses/streets were.

The mid 19thC Tithe maps are also available at TNA, Kew - and have just been made available on The Genealogist website (but not for free).
                  Last edited by AntonyM; 18-02-15, 08:56.
                  Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                  Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Depending on the timeframe, enclosure act maps and turnpike act maps can help.

Comment

Thank you all for your help - Uncle John, would I find these maps at the local or national archives?

Thank you, Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by amck37 View Post
                        Thank you all for your help - Uncle John, would I find these maps at the local or national archives?

Thank you, Amanda
                        When I was a teenager my family was trying to establish the history of the lane we lived in (to avoid having to pay for it being made up by the Council). I remember looking at turnpike maps in Sheffield Central Library. So the local archives or a big local library would be the best place to start.
                        Last edited by Uncle John; 18-02-15, 20:59.

Comment

Thanks for that advice, Uncle John. I rang the Warks archives but they hadn't heard of turnpike maps! She suggested I email them with my query so they can search - this I have done.

Amanda

Comment

Must have been the cleaner who answered the phone then! If you google, there is loads of information about the turnpike Act, turnpike maps, the enclosure act etc but I doubt if they will be of much use to you.

I am assuming from your opening post that you want to see exactly on a map where someone was living in 1880, or have I misunderstood?

OC

Comment

Haha, probably, OCH! :p

Yes, that's the idea. My family, the Stanbras' lived in Stanbras Lane at one point. Also on that page occurrs Rodgers Yard and Albert Road, probably known just the families who lived in them?

I will google them, thanks!

I have around 5 names who joined the family through marriage and just thought it fun to see where they lived in the village.

Amanda
                              Last edited by Guest; 21-02-15, 14:26.

Comment

Working...
                              X