Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for some help from someone more experienced...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it can be a good plan to start all over again, making no assumptions. Start with yourself, make sure you have all your details and those of your parents. Try to have more than one piece of evidence (three is the ideal but the more the better) for each life event. Certificates are not cheap but they are essential for each 'main character' in your tree. Birth certificates can show who the child's mother, and usually father, were. Then, all being well, the parents marriage cert gives more evidence. Don't forget death certs too, they can sometimes give surprising clues. Wills, censuses and newspapers can be helpful too.

All this can take quite a long time. There's no quick fix to building a tree, although internet resources have made it easier you need to be aware that only a fraction of resources are actually on line. Lots of people on here have been researching their tree for decades. It can be a lifetime hobby, so patience is the key. Hope you find someone to help because I think you live outside the UK so a bit more difficult to, say, go on a local course of lessons. Good luck
    Anne

Comment

Welcome Reece,
      It might help if one of the mods moves this thread to Research board as it will not be seen by as many people here and that is the right place for research help.
      We have an excellent reference library Reece with good advice look for the heading on the Forum Page

Edna

Comment

Also don't copy other people's trees - they can be wrong and you need to prove the information and that it belongs in your tree. So many people just copy and then someone else copies them - so in the end there can be a large number of people with the same information which is wrong.

The line I followed which was completely wrong - someone else recently did the same and although they've corrected some of their tree from information I supplied - they've left the parents and siblings which belonged to the other family attached. I haven't found any connection to the other family as yet but someone looking at the other tree might think they have and just copy it over.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Reece, I offered (and gave) help when you asked a few weeks ago, but I haven't heard from you recently. I did tell you I was happy to help further. If you've lost my email address just send me a pm.

scuda
          Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

I saw that you had 4 threads which all appear to be on the same subject Reece. They all have varying amounts of information on them, so I have merged them together.
            In future, when you are asking about the same family, can you please just add to your existing thread. Otherwise people can go off on a wild goose chase looking for things that have already been found for you.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I have moved this thread to our Family History Research forum
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hello Reece,

You have been offered some extremely sensible advice in the previous responses. I would just add a couple of things :-

Before spending money on any brand of Family Tree Software try making up something to your own design using something like MS PowerPoint. If you would like an idea of what I mean just let me know and I will send you an example via a PM.

If you can, try to develop two lies of your tree pretty well simultaneously and send off for two, or more, certificates at the same time. That way it saves time as, like me, you live outside of the UK. I normally allow two weeks from ordering for their arrival from the GRO.

J
                Research Interests :-Dominy in Dorset prior to 1800, Page in Radnorshire area pre 1850

Comment

Originally posted by Papi Jean View Post
                  Hello Reece,

You have been offered some extremely sensible advice in the previous responses. I would just add a couple of things :-

Before spending money on any brand of Family Tree Software try making up something to your own design using something like MS PowerPoint. If you would like an idea of what I mean just let me know and I will send you an example via a PM.

If you can, try to develop two lies of your tree pretty well simultaneously and send off for two, or more, certificates at the same time. That way it saves time as, like me, you live outside of the UK. I normally allow two weeks from ordering for their arrival from the GRO.

J
                  I personally think it would be best to use a free software program rather than try to develop one's own especially if one is new to research as well.

There are a number of free programs available such as My Heritage.

Margaret

Comment

I've been in contact with Reece since my last post #44. He does have software for building his tree, so I don't think that is a problem. Reece is checking on some of his information and the sources, then I should be able to guide him to the next step. I don't think there are any particular research problems at this stage, as long as Reece is able to buy a few certificates.

scuda
                    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Looking for mentor-esque help

Hello.

I have been on this forum before, under a different username that I cannot remember.

I have started with my family tree again, and am stuck around 1845. I was wondering if anyone with a little more experience doing this sort of thing could lend some of their time to me, to double check current records, point me in the right direction, help me with advancing, etc.

The new registration has been merged with the original registration.

Comment

Hi Reece,

I offered my help in that way when you were here before (I can't imagine you're a different Reece). You accepted and we exchanged several emails. If you would rather have someone else helping you, that's fine, I'll stay off your threads, but if you'd like me to continue just send me an email (or a pm here if you've lost my address). I must say that whoever helps you is likely to want to start by checking how you've got back to where you are, to satisfy themselves you haven't gone astray on the way back to 1845.

scuda

Comment

I think I have worked out which the other user name was and the two registrations will be merged. (When I have had my breakfast.
                          Caroline
                          Caroline's Family History Pages
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

The original thread has been merged with this query.

A password reminder has also been sent to Reece.
                            Caroline
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
                              Hi Reece,

I offered my help in that way when you were here before (I can't imagine you're a different Reece). You accepted and we exchanged several emails. If you would rather have someone else helping you, that's fine, I'll stay off your threads, but if you'd like me to continue just send me an email (or a pm here if you've lost my address). I must say that whoever helps you is likely to want to start by checking how you've got back to where you are, to satisfy themselves you haven't gone astray on the way back to 1845.

scuda
                              Hi! I'd love your help again, though I had lost your email address when I switched to a newer contact details. I'll send you a PM.

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                              The original thread has been merged with this query.

A password reminder has also been sent to Reece.
                              That's great, thankyou! (Hope you enjoyed your breakfast!)

Comment

Originally posted by Reece Morris View Post
                                That's great, thankyou! (Hope you enjoyed your breakfast!)
                                I did - I hope that the email reached you as well as the reminder.
                                Caroline

Comment

I also tried to help at the time Reece and I have just found several PM's to you. In my last PM to you on 10th January I suggested that if you were absolutely sure that D M M born 1947 was your grandfather you would need his birth certificate. I also gave you the reference for it etc. Did you ever get the birth certificate?

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                                    I did - I hope that the email reached you as well as the reminder.
                                    I got it, thanks!

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                    I also tried to help at the time Reece and I have just found several PM's to you. In my last PM to you on 10th January I suggested that if you were absolutely sure that D M M born 1947 was your grandfather you would need his birth certificate. I also gave you the reference for it etc. Did you ever get the birth certificate?
                                    I got the certificate, yes. He is my grandfather!

Comment

So you now have his parents names. Have you sent for their marriage certificate to find out their fathers names and occupations?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                        So you now have his parents names. Have you sent for their marriage certificate to find out their fathers names and occupations?
                                        I do, and I haven't. Not yet. I've been trying to do it via research, rather than paying and paying.

Comment

Reece, I've received your pm and emailed a reply.

scuda

Comment

Working...
                                          X