Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for some help from someone more experienced...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It happens a lot it just depends on who registered the death, I have some with a completely different middle name on their death ,and you can use any name you like as long as it isn't for illegal purposes.

Comment

Oddly enough, you cannot legally change your first name if it is your baptismal name but of course many people use a different name or a different spelling. Does not matter, as Val says, you can use any name you want to as long as it is not to fraudulently impersonate.

The likelihood of someone going to the trouble and expense of legally changing just one letter of their first name is vanishingly remote, I would think.

OC
      Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 23-12-14, 14:44.

Comment

I think she would have just changed it, in the same way that a friend of mine whose name was Sally, suddenly decided to become Salli. Ann might change to Anne, etc, and it's not generally considered to be a name change, as such. I don't think anyone would feel the need to check such a change.

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
          I think she would have just changed it, in the same way that a friend of mine whose name was Sally, suddenly decided to become Salli. Ann might change to Anne, etc, and it's not generally considered to be a name change, as such. I don't think anyone would feel the need to check such a change.

scuda
          There's no where to check such a change - people just do it!
          Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            Oddly enough, you cannot legally change your first name if it is your baptismal name but of course many people use a different name or a different spelling. Does not matter, as Val says, you can use any name you want to as long as it is not to fraudulently impersonate.

The likelihood of someone going to the trouble and expense of legally changing just one letter of their first name is vanishingly remote, I would think.

OC
            There is nothing to stop you changing any name you are known by.
            What many get confused with is you cannot have any change of name recorded on a birth certificate but you can add a name given at baptism.
            I should also add Churches will not change any name given at baptism for the same reason as the LDS would not change a record in the IGI.
            It records a specific ordinance.
            Cheers
            Guy
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Our daughters ;- Sally-Ann is Sally - Christine is Chris - to all but their Dad & me. We know who they are!

Comment

Guy

That's what I meant - the CHURCH does not recognise a change of Christian name if that was the name given at baptism. As I said, though, nothing to stop anyone calling themselves anything they want and it doesn't need to be recorded anywhere. You could also officially change your first name by Deed Poll - but the church would not recognise that change, if it was your baptismal name you were changing.

OC

Comment

It crosses my mind that the church does allow you to add a name - at Confirmation, say.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine

Yes indeed, you can add a name at confirmation and lots of people are then known by their confirmation name rather than their original Christian name - but the original name stays and cannot be changed, as far as the church is concerned. Ecclesiastical law rather than civil law of course.

OC

Comment

Speaking as a Jill who often finds my name written by others as Gill, I'd think it more likely that the stonemason who produced the gravestone was misinformed. She'd have supplied her own details for her marriage.

Comment

Think she might be Jillian
                        Marriage
                        Jillian A Roberts
                        D M Morris
                        Sep 1971 Stoke on Trent.

There is also
                        Birth
                        Jillian A Roberts Dec B-1951
                        MMN Roberts

Jillian A Roberts Apr-Jun 1952
                        MMN Roberts

Maybe reregistered after the marriage.

Marriage
                        Joyce Roberts
                        Peter F Roberts Oct _ Dec 1951 Stoke
                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 12-02-15, 11:14.

Comment

I agree, Sue, and have suggested exactly this set of records to Reece. I believe he has sent for the Morris/Roberts marriage certificate, and will not go any further until he receives it. I bet it will show Peter Roberts as Jillian's father - the scenario you suggest seems to fit everything we know - and Reece should then be able to work back more confidently.

scuda
                          Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Would somebody be so kind as to search for a few things for me?

Hello all.

I have placed this here as I trust the members of this forum to respect that there is a living person (My grandfather) within the following information.

I would be incredibly grateful if somebody would be able to find some information, pictures, anything relating to the following 4 people.

D M M Married 3/July 1971, 23 years old, Bachelor, Farm Worker, 6 Oxford Street Penthull,
                            Jillian Ann Morris Married 3/July, 19 years old, Spinster, Portas Lithographer (Portas or Portus), 45 South Walk Meir,

Bert Morris, Father of D M M, Deceased at the time of marriage, Steel Works Labourer
                            Peter Frederick Roberts, Father of Jillian Ann Roberts, Alive during Wedding, Motor Lorry Driver.

Married in the County Borough of Stoke on Trent.

Thank you so much in advance.

Sorry Reece but I'm afraid that we don't allow the names of anyone who is living (or may be living) to be given, as stated in our T&C's. So I have had to remove them. If you can let us know which ones are definitely deceased I can put them back. Anyone who feels that they may be able to help with the living ones would have to contact you by Private Message.

The deceased names now replaced Reece.

Comment

For anyone wanting to help, the relevant marriage entry is featured on the Staffordshire BMD site. It appears to have been a civil marriage rather than a church event.
                              (I took the groom's surname from the father's name in the above post, and then matched the initials.)

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

After hearing from Reece I have now restored the names of the deceased.
                                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Just a brief post to say that D M M's address when he married would have been in Penkhull, not Penthull (which doesn't exist, as far as I can see).

scuda

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
                                    Just a brief post to say that D M M's address when he married would have been in Penkhull, not Penthull (which doesn't exist, as far as I can see).

scuda
                                    My apologies, you are correct. The handwriting is a little tough to read!

Comment

From BMD:
                                      Peter F Roberts was married in Stoke Registration Dist Dec Qtr 1951 to Joyce Roberts.

Could you tell us what sort of information you are looking for, Reece? Are you seeking help with references for possible birth, marriage & death registrations or for other references to these people?
                                      (Just so people don't waste their time looking for things you already know

Jay
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Looking for some help from someone more experienced...

My family tree has been rather wavy so far. Some days I have struggled to find anyone, and on others it seems almost too easy. I am fairly convinced that I will have gone wrong somewhere along the line and had an idea to ask here for help. I'm wondering if anyone has any free time to spare to help me/work through with me my family tree. Sort of tutor me. This is my first time doing this and I honestly think that I might be a little "Oh! Same name! That must be my guy!".

Thank you.

R

Comment

Never assume Reece - you have to prove each step of the way with certificates etc. Starting with your own birth certificate and work back.

I made the mistake of assuming I knew something - which led me to following the wrong line completely at great expense, including visiting records offices, getting parish records, birth, marriage and death certificates - all because I didn't purchase a marriage certificate early on.

So what you must do is look again at your tree - just because the names are the same doesn't mean it's yours. I've just looked for a birth of a twig only to find there are several people with the same name born in the same town around the same time. If in doubt leave out.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                                          X