Library: Birmingham Newspaper archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Library: Library: Birmingham Newspaper archives

I have a death certificate for Herbert Munn of 96 Cofton Road, Raddleburn, Birmingham who was killed on 18 September 1950, the certificate shows there was an Inquest and a conviction for manslaughter.

I emailed Birmingham Library and they said "We hold local newspapers on floor 4 of the library which may have reports in of the event. The newspapers are stored on microfilm, and staff will happily show you how to use the readers.

If you know which day you are coming in, we can also retrieve our volumes of collected news cuttings about inquests for 1950 from our strongrooms for you to also search. Hopefully the inquest might be picked up in these, save working through the newspapers day by day.

If you find what you need, it’s usually fine to be able to take copies should you wish. These cost £0.10 and £0.20 for A4 and A3."

Would some kind soul be willing to go and have a look for me? I'm in Spain at the moment so can't get there myself!

Happy to supply more information for anyone who can help and of course pay for any printing costs.

Margaret

Not sure when I'll be in Birmingham next - but could have a look when I do. Does it give any details of when the Inquest and Coroners report was?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks a lot for offering to help.

It shows 'Certificate on Inquest adjourned and not resumed" dated 22 December 1950'. So perhaps that was the date of the Inquest. The cause of death was Cerebral laceration. Traumatic Cerebral Haemorrhage. Conviction of manslaughter P.M.

In the meantime I think I might go back to the library and give the date of the Inquest and they might be kind/interested enough to look at their Inquest new cuttings to dig it out for me.

Margaret

Comment

I should be going into Birmingham before the end of next week. A recent inquest took 2 and a half years, thankfully it was judged accidental but given there was a trial in your case wonder what the date of conviction was.
        Last edited by JBee; 16-11-14, 15:59.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Well, it must have been before 22 December because the fact of the conviction was noted on the death cert whereas if a trial hadn't been concluded they wouldn't have known.

Perhaps the person pleaded guilty and so the prosecution was over quite quick? I believe it was a fight outside a pub so maybe no contentious evidence.

End of next week sounds fab but only if you have time and it doesn't interfere with the reason for your visit.
          Margaret

Comment

Info sent

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
              Info sent
              Thank you so much Julie. That's fabulous!

If I can do anything for you please let me know.

Margaret

Comment

No problem.

Comment

Working...
                X