Ann Jennens b 1580? and Ambrose Pontin d1623-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ann Jennens b 1580? and Ambrose Pontin d1623-

Good morning: For quite some time now I have been trying to determine the identity of Ambrose Pontin's wife Ann. Some researchers have ID'd her as Ann Jennens who married Ambrose Pontin in 1624 in I believe Broham Wiltshire. How ever Ambrose died appx. 1623 according to records from St. Peter and St. Paul in Marlborough Wiltshire. Just recently, as I could not find a record of Ambrose Pontin marrying Ann his wife I thought that maybe this was a posthumous marriage to legitimize the children. Was this a custom at this time in England? I know it is possible to do this in France and other countries.

Have never heard of such a thing in the UK (or anywhere else either, for that matter - surely the basic precept of marriage is that both parties agree? If they didn't marry whilst alive, how could they agree to do so when dead!

However - have you considered the dates in the context of the calendar at that time? The year ran from March to March and some transscribers have allowed for this, some haven't. You really need to look at original registers to work out if this is what has happened.

OC

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posthumous_marriage France are one Country where it is allowed OC
      Good thinking on the calendar, I did not think of that.

Edna

and the Mormon Church
      Last edited by clematised; 14-11-14, 20:07.

Comment

Oh, grrr, typed a long reply and lost it!

Thankyou Edna, that's really interesting, I hadn't heard about the French thing. I notice it's only been happening for 100 years though, so not relevant to anything happening in 1500s.

OC

Comment

Working...
        X