No announcement yet.

Henry Goldsmith Capp / Clark b:1826/27 Tuddenham Suffolk and parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jay - On the marriage cert. for Henry Goldsmith Clark (Junior Version) in 1852 his Father is listed as Henry Goldsmith - wish these relatives would do things properly! So I presume he can't have been marrried to anyone with the name Clark or Clarke, and maybe it came from his mother his Grandmothers family? Is this getting too silly for words???

Julie

Comment

Hi Elaine
      You are right this is William in 1861 & 1871. They were living at Pelton, County Durham.
      There are 2 burials for Goldsmith Clark children at Pelton, Holy Trinity. Charles age 9+ in 1868 & Mary Ann age 9mths in 1864. There is also a burial for a Mary Ann Clark on 3rd Apr 1858 age 28. This could be Mary Ann nee Gilman who was born c1829 at Long Melford.

The Elizabeth Cap Doe who married Thomas Mace is a total mystery. The first 3 children of this couple baptised at Tuddenham give her maiden name as Clarke!

Moggie
      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 18-11-14, 11:54.

Comment

Good afternoon Chrissie (loved the cartoon of Donald!)

Yes he did marry Ann Nunn in 1852. I have managed to get a copy of the certificate but apart from the fact that Ann Nunn was a "Minor" when she married it hasn't got me very far.
        I have traceds the family forward to my late "Clark" Grandfather, but wanted to go urther back if possible.
        Thnks for your help

Julie

Comment

Hi Kat

Thanks for the info. It's useful tto know what the facts are from someone who knows!

Kind regards Julie

Comment

Hello SmallTownGirl

Good suggestion will put it on my "ever growing list of things to do"

Creakyknees

Comment

For some reason I can't edit my post #22. It should read Pelton & not Peldon.
              Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                For some reason I can't edit my post #22. It should read Pelton & not Peldon.
                Sorry
                I have done it for you Moggie That is what you meant isn't it?
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks Chrissie
                  There's one more Peldon that should read Pelton if you could change that as well.
                  When I tried to change it yesterday I got an administrator's message saying I could only edit a post within 10 minutes of posting the original message. Is this something new, I've never had it before?
                  Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                    Thanks Chrissie
                    There's one more Peldon that should read Pelton if you could change that as well.
                    When I tried to change it yesterday I got an administrator's message saying I could only edit a post within 10 minutes of posting the original message. Is this something new, I've never had it before?
                    Moggie
                    Sorry Moggie, I had missed that one - done now
                    It's been like that for quite a while now. Perhaps you just haven't tried to edit one since until now.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Creakyknees View Post
                      Jay - On the marriage cert. for Henry Goldsmith Clark (Junior Version) in 1852 his Father is listed as Henry Goldsmith - wish these relatives would do things properly! So I presume he can't have been marrried to anyone with the name Clark or Clarke, and maybe it came from his mother his Grandmothers family? Is this getting too silly for words???

Julie
                      Thanks for posting that. It's confirmation of a definite link between your Henry G C and the Henry Goldsmith of Tuddenham census 1841 & 1851. We now have evidence that we ARE following up the right family.

I don't know what part of the country you live in (or even if you're in the UK) but the parish registers themselves (in the Suffolk Record Office)may contain some additional clues.
                      Familysearch is a super resource, but we are unable to view images of these particular original records and have to rely on a basic pro forma transcription; Freereg is a brilliant transcription site, but doesn't seem to cover your events. Sometimes the vicar added "useful" comments - one of my ancestresses had an illegitimate child and the vicar helpfully added the names and abode of the putative father.

As the boys seem to have been with their father in 1841, I would think it a good bet that the mother had died. Perhaps the couple lived together for some time, without marrying, a scenario that many of us have come across in our trees.
                      As most of the events were pre civil registration, you need parish records, wills, perhaps military records to help you tease out the various threads for all the different surnames. Not everything is on line though.:(

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

In you opening post you wrote
                        I have also found a possible marriage for his parents Henry (or Henery) Goldsmith and Elizabeth Capp/Copp or Clarke

Where did you find the marriage & what was the date & place?

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                        X