Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfred Butler

Hi,

I am a bit of a newbie on here, despite working on my family tree for about a year or so now. Recently I have found a letter and some photos of one of my grandmother's many cousins. His name is Alfred Charles William Butler and was a pilot in the RAF volunteer reserve during WW2. His letter was sent January 14th 1945 from Fayid in Egypt. He talks a lot about how hard life was in Rhodesia and how he was grateful to get out, so I assume he was stationed there not long before he wrote the letter. He did not write another letter as he died on 3rd May 1945 and is buried in Pune, India in the Kirkee war cemetery. This is actual a rather interesting coincidence as I have been to Pune a number of times and stayed near the cemetery, I am going back in December to get married and will then visit his grave.

I am happy to have all this information and such personal objects of his to honour his memory, however I want to know more, such as why he is buried in Pune, how he died and where, where he was stationed and if he received any citations and what planes he flew. I have no direct family of his that I can contact so any help or just a point in the right direction would be fantastic. I shall put all the information I have on him below. I also have two photographs of him in uniform if anyone is interested in them.

Thank you for your help.

Terry

Name: Sgnt Alfred Charles William Butler

Service number: 1805516

Birth: India, 1924

Death: 3rd May 1945

Parents: Alfred and Sarah Elizabeth Butler of Southampton

He lived for some time in Southampton

Buried in: Kirkee war cemetery 9. G. 1.

I would start with a copy of his death certificate (he is listed on the GRO Armed Forces death index as Alfred C W Butler, page 100) and then if you need more information you can investigate ordering a copy of his service records from the MoD.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks for the speedy reply. Do you have a link to where I could find his death index? Do you have to pay for this service? And yes I have looked into ordering his service records from the MoD. Thanks

Comment

The Armed Forces Death index is on FindMyPast - certificates can be ordered from GRO in the usual way (cost £9.25) - the name, age, place and page number should be sufficient to order. The certificate should tell you whether he died of illness, accident or some sort of enemy action.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

mistake
          Last edited by Guest; 02-11-14, 14:04.

Comment

have sent you a pm

Comment

BUTLER_ALFRED_CHARLES_WILLIAM.pdf have you got this

Comment

There is a Birth Registration during 3rd Qtr 1923 in Southampton ref 2c/65 for 'Alfred C. W. Butler'...............mothers maiden name is Kennard...............probably yours but the Birth Cert will reveal more. Additionally there is a Bennett/Butler/Vernon Family Tree in Ancestry...........is it you?.........if not, some clues available.
                The Tree owner is a Linda Bennett who has an 'established Tree' from what I can tell.
                Last edited by AlanC; 02-11-14, 19:33. Reason: Addition

Comment

Hi Terry, I'm Linda Bennett. Alfred C W Butler was my husband's 1st cousin x 1removed and one of our 'trees' on Ancestry is Bennett/Butler/Vernon. It's strange that I should come across this thread as I had an email yesterday from someone else who is also researching 'Alfie'! It would be great to get in touch with you and exchange information.

Sorry Linda, I have had to remove your e-mail address as per out T&C's. You can only send them by PM (Private Message).
                  Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 07-02-15, 12:32.

Comment

Email address alert!!!!

Thanks Kat - done.
                    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 07-02-15, 12:34.
                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I should mention Linda that it is sometime since Terry was on site. Could I suggest that you PM him, by clicking on his name (beside his post). This way he will get an e-mail notifying him that you wish to make contact. Providing his e-mail address is still the same and he has his preferences set to receive notification.
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

So sorry, obviously didn't read T&C's with care :(

Comment

Hi Linda, did you get my email?

Comment

Working...
                          X