No announcement yet.

I need some help with my gypsy family please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear, the Horace Smith/Phoebe Gleed children don't match to the list your contact gave you!

I am seeing a suspiciously even pattern of registration here:

(All registered Smith mmn Gleed)

Lizzie M Jun 1912 Romford 4a 1129
    Phoebe Jun 1916 WHam 4a 382
    (no Phoebe registered in 1912)
    D.... (Girl) Jun 1918 WHam 4a 258
    C......... (Boy) Jun 1920 WHam 4a 467
    M........ (Kenny?) Jun 1922 WHam 4a 374
    B... (boy as mentioned) Jun 1924 WHam 4a 382
    S..... J Jun 1926 WHam 4a 372

I can't define any births before 1911.

If my list is correct above, then neither Phoebe nor Daisy had the correct dates of birth and not even the right YEAR of birth as given by your contact. A curious coincidence they both are born the same day - not impossible I know, but a bit fishy, given the history!

OC

Sorry OC, have had to remove those names as they could still be alive. If we find out they are deceased I can put them back
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 01-11-14, 15:19.

Comment

Janet

Could the name be PENSOPHIA? There is a Pensophia Street born 1907.

OC

Comment

OC, I think it could be ANYTHING! Would Pensophia be female rather than male?

I've found PENDER Smith reg West Ham, Jun qtr 1910. Could a second forename have been tagged on the end? Pender Wil?

Sandra, OC's list of Smith births (MMN Gleed) are for post 1911 census; it's possible that your contact compiled her list working only from the post 1910 index, when births were cross referenced with mmn. Also in large famiiles the information on siblings gets watered down as you go down the generations, some get missed off the list (and get forgotten) and others are known only by a pet name. (I spent years trying to find the birth and marriage regs for gt-aunt May. Eventually, when I managed to get to the Norfolk record office, I discovered gt-aunt May was named Sarah Ann, the same as her mother. She was born in May and so I guess she was known as "Our May," to distinguish her from her mother.)

At least your family are helping to pass away an otherwise uneventful day for me! (I call it keeping my brain active, which pressing domestic chores don't do.)

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 01-11-14, 15:17.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          Janet

Could the name be PENSOPHIA? There is a Pensophia Street born 1907.

OC
          It looks more like Pendavita on the census OC. I found a Pender born 1910 but he may have died in 1915 Romford as Pendar Smith
          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 01-11-14, 15:23.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

OC – re post 35/36...yes I think she is Elizabeth May Street, she married William Driscoll in 1918.
            The lady I was in contact with in 2005 was Lizzie’s great-niece, so she must have known her? According to Ancestry, Lizzie (Elizabeth May Driscoll) died Jan 1986 in Newham, and her dob was 12th May 1902. I have looked at the 5 churches that Seax has online, but no marriage. Most of the Street baptism’s seem to have been in St Luke's, so I would assume most of the marriages were too, but unfortunately Seax doesn't have St Luke's and the East London FHs only has St Luke's baptisms. I would have to go to Chelmsford to look at the marriage film which is a bit of a trek for me as I’m in Hampshire.

yes Jay, I am on Ancestry. I’d be lost without it...and good point about being in the same place twice, hadn’t even crossed my mind. That’s why I am loving these ‘fresh eyes, fresh ideas!’
            They did have a Horace, so that could be the Horry Jnr?

I tend to find public tree’s on Ancestry just ‘follow the crowd’, if someone writes something they all copy. Although sometimes you do get the odd useful snippet.

Ooo very interesting re the children that she gave me..... Shady?? is that even a name!

Comment

Yes Janet, 2005 was a long time ago & so much is now available..... don't talk to me about pet names!
              My nan was Blackbird (real name Louisa) her sister was Rabbits (Mariah) nephew Bonno (John) another nephew (Chocco) Rabbits daughter was Ginny (Mary Ann).. these were all mums cousins who she knew, but hadn't a clue what their proper names were....took ages to find them!

Comment

I can't believe I've been sat here since 8.30 this morning, starting to get a bit of a headache now so need to give it a break. Am going out tonight so going to log off at 4pm otherwise I'll be sat here all evening!

The reg Smith MMN Gleed is odd

Glad my interwoven pain of a family and their odd names is helping your day pass Jay, you've been a great help

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                  It looks more like Pendavita on the census OC. I found a Pender born 1910 but he may have died in 1915 Romford as Pendar Smith
                  Chrissie, Pendar Smith's death reg in 1915, aged 4, sounds good. It was in Romford reg dist, which included Barking.

Sandra, Blackbird, shortened to Blackie, was the pet name my granddad gave my granny! (Not a Lee, Smith or Street in sight, though. ;D only illiterate and innumerate Irish, who are even harder to find than your gipsys. IMO anyway )

Jay
                  Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 01-11-14, 15:44.
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Repeat post, so deleted.

Jay
                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 01-11-14, 15:51.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I have just been googling Penda and Vita. The reason I thought it might be Pedavita, apart from the t appearing to have a line on it, was because of my gypsy ancestor Ligna Vita. Mine is taken from a type of wood (Lugnum Vitae). Penda was an anglo saxon king from 655 and Vita stands for life.
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

But Smith mmn Gleed is perfectly correct, not odd at all! Phoebe was born Gleed, so that is her maiden name.

Pensophia was a wild guess as I came across the name yesterday whilst looking at Street births. I don't have access to Ancestry so I can't see what you are all looking at!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra View Post
                          OC – re post 35/36...yes I think she is Elizabeth May Street, she married William Driscoll in 1918.
                          The lady I was in contact with in 2005 was Lizzie’s great-niece, so she must have known her? According to Ancestry, Lizzie (Elizabeth May Driscoll) died Jan 1986 in Newham, and her dob was 12th May 1902. I have looked at the 5 churches that Seax has online, but no marriage. Most of the Street baptism’s seem to have been in St Luke's, so I would assume most of the marriages were too, but unfortunately Seax doesn't have St Luke's and the East London FHs only has St Luke's baptisms. I would have to go to Chelmsford to look at the marriage film which is a bit of a trek for me as I’m in Hampshire.

SEAX does have St Luke's marriages -go to first letter of parish- V, parish - Victoria Docks, church - St Luke, and Elizabeth May Street did marry there, on December 25th 1918
                          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Arrgg .. Judith I love you!! I didn't even realise Victoria Dock was on there, as have only looked for Canning Town & Custom House...had set myself a time limit for today, well just peeled the spuds for tea so I can afford another 15 mins looking for that marriage

Comment

Hi Sandra I can see that you posted this in 2014 but I have just found it! I am Horace smith junior granddaughter, we had been struggling to find much out about his parents phoebe and Horace we knew the names of children and of phoebes brothers and sisters and it seem you have found out loads of information on them. This is brilliant news for us and has given me lots more to go on. How much did you manage to find out? Can I help with anything you were missing? Genty is a family name and it’s one of my mums sisters and my cousins name. Phoebe Granny Smith had a daughter phoebe who had a daughter phoebe she had milk fever and never recovered and Granny Smith brought her daughter up! Please let me know what you found thanks Fay x

Comment

Working...
                              X