Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion wanted on possible link! (Brunel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion wanted on possible link! (Brunel)

Hi Family tree forum members,

Fo a while i've been busy with my family tree and I'd like to have your opinion on the evidence of a possible link/ancestry.
    I've been stuck for a while on an ancester called Jean Brunel, he lived in Breda and married Francisca van Oeckel (1675). He worked around 1700 in a tavern and from around 1730 as a gardener. The only thing known about his place of birth is that he was from the Languedoc. And that was for so far a dead end.
    The last couple of months I had some a lot of free time and I put some more work in it, I searched every genealogy I could find from the Languedoc on the name of Brunel and variations of it and I've found one family that he could be very well coming from. But I'd like your opinion on the possible evidence (I know its a lot) :

First of all Jean had a couple of children :

1 : Joannes Petrus (1699) (French : Jean Pierre)
    2 : Henricus Martinus (1701) (French : Henry Martin)
    3 : Anna/Anne Brunel (1702)
    4 : Martinus (1704) (French : Martin)
    5 : Francoise / Francisca (1705)
    6 : Anthonia (1707) (Anthoinette)
    7 : Elisabeth (1709)
    8 : Hendrina (1711)
    9: Jan (1712) (French : Jean)
    7 : Hendrik (1714) (French : Henry)

The first clue is that when we look at the family from i've found you will see a lot of common names :

Jean ca 1604-1682
    - Pierre ca 1650-1719
    ---o Anne 1672-
    ---o Jean 1674- (This may be our Jean Brunel)
    ---o Pierre 1677-
    ---o Marie 1680-
    ---o Jeanne 1683-
    ---o Antoine 1685-
    ---o Hilaire 1688-

I will list them up for clarity :

1 : Joannes Petrus (1699) (French : Jean Pierre) (Both his father and grandfather?)
    2 : Henricus Martinus (1701) (French : Henry Martin) (His wife's father and grandfather)
    3 : Anne Brunel (1702) (After his sister Anne?)
    4 : Martinus (1704)(French : Martin) (again his wife's father)
    5 : Francoise (1705) (Francoise is also his grandmothers name)
    6 : Anthonia (1707) (French : Antoinette) (His other grandmother or maybe after his brotherAntoine)
    7 : Elisabeth (1709) (See below)
    8 : Hendrina (1711)
    9: Jan (1712) (French : Jean) (his grandfather or himself?)
    7 : Hendrik (1714) (French : Henri)

Also when we look at his brother's Hilaire's children :

We again see a lot of common names : Elisabeth, Anne, Francois(e), Jeanne (Jean) and Pierre.

The next possible evidence is the birth of two of Jeans children. With the birth of Hendrik (1714) one of the witnesses was : Elisabeth le Fran (Elisabeth the French), who is never ever found in any other document in the Netherlands. But possibly could have been connected to the Brunel family somehow... (Both brothers call a child Elisabeth)
    The other is with the birth of Elisabeth (1709) where an Antoine Brunel is godfather of her. Antoine could possibly be the brother of Jean. Again this person is never to be found again in any document in the Netherlands.

There are a couple of motives why he would have left the Languedoc, namely him being a Huguenot (i've found out that his possible mothers side were crypto-Huguenots - Huguenots who acted like Catholics)... Or maybe because he was a trader and found his love in Breda (his possible father Pierre was a trader in Sete).

The last evidence are the signatures of both Jean and Hilaire, they are very much almost the same. I will post them when i can Jean's signature back again (I lost it due to a HD crash and the source document is offline atm).

So I know its a lot, but I like your opinion on it!

Thank you!

Ohh i can't edit, sorry for the errors and enters, and it should be : (His other grandmother or maybe after his brother Antoine)

Comment

Working...
    X